OK, Linux fans, here's where you help The Dean

The Dean

I just installed a nice new computer for a client, and she have me her old warhorse. Since I would love to, finally, play around with Linux, I'm thinking I may just keep this around for a few months, before donating it. I'm wondering if this machine is up to the task, if Ubuntu is the way to go...and any other tips you may have for me.

The machine is a Dell Optiplex GX400 (in remarkably good shape).

Pentium 4 2.00GHz

256 RDRAM (I could add more, but it requires matching pairs, and this old RAM isn't that cheap.)

80Gb HD

It currently runs Windows 2000.

If you need any more info, to make an evaluation, just let me know.

Thanks, in advance.

VirtualBox is interesting. If I use that, I don't need to partition the HD in this computer, do I?

Nope - I believe you just create a file and use that as the OS disk. (I use VMware Workstation, and that's how it works -- I believe VirtualBox is very similar).

As for what distribution -- Ubuntu is probably a good choice. RedHat is a better choice if you want to use this knowledge in the corporate world, as is SuSE.

Nope - I believe you just create a file and use that as the OS disk. (I use VMware Workstation, and that's how it works -- I believe VirtualBox is very similar).

As for what distribution -- Ubuntu is probably a good choice. RedHat is a better choice if you want to use this knowledge in the corporate world, as is SuSE.

Thanks, Fez. Appreciate it.