A question about the IR

blade

I just saw on espn that the Bucs had 3 weeks to activate Caddilac Williams, so he must have been placed on the IR. I'm not exactly sure how the IR works. I had heard that that once a person was placed on IR they were out for the year. The reason I ask is because we are getting thin at l.b. with Digi getting hurt and all and I was wondering if that means Crowell could still be brought back.

I'm pretty sure Cadillac was on the PUP (Physically Unable to Perform) List, not the IR. That means he has to sit out the first six games of the season and then after that, the team has until Week 10 to activate him or lose him for the remainder of the year.

As far as I know, IR is an absolute season ender.

If someone gets placed on IR, per league rules they can't play for that team during the remainder of that season. However, if they have a doctor's opinion that they've recovered to the point where they can play, they can file a grievance via the NFLPA to force the team to release them. That's essentially what happened with Steve Christie.

I'm pretty sure Cadillac was on the PUP (Physically Unable to Perform) List, not the IR. That means he has to sit out the first six games of the season and then after that, the team has until Week 10 to activate him or lose him for the remainder of the year.

As far as I know, IR is an absolute season ender.

ok yea..this is what I was thinking..theres PUP and IR :bag:

If someone gets placed on IR, per league rules they can't play for that team during the remainder of that season. However, if they have a doctor's opinion that they've recovered to the point where they can play, they can file a grievance via the NFLPA to force the team to release them. That's essentially what happened with Steve Christie.

This is also the way that the Troy Vincent situation went down a couple of years back. If he is judged healed by his docs it would seem reasonable that he could file a grievance to come back and that the team would not be able to sign him unless he cleared waivers.