Marshawn, Do you see what I see with this guy?

UncleBuff

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool....

An inarticulate dolt such as I could ponder your quote (If I remember correctly it was by Samuel Johnson?) for a year and still not comprehend its full meaning.

But with your level of intellect you knew that by reading my first post here didnt you? :lol:

Regarding my post on Marshawn. I NEVER stated he was a bust as suggested by some replies. He is without a doubt one of the main reasons our beloved Bills are now in the playoff hunt.

What I WAS suggesting is he is not the kind of back that can singlehandedly carry a team to a win a couple of times a year by being a workhorse, helping us eat up the clock and keeping opposing offenses off the field. Ala L.T. , Michael Turner.

I enjoyed the posts responding to my assertion. The overwhelming majority of the posters here are astute football afficionados. (except maybe for the pseudo rasta wannabe :devil: )

Thanks for letting me take part!

Hello TBD folks. I have been visiting the site for some time now and finally decided to join the converstion.

I am thrilled with the 08 team. We have a team on the rise and can expect to be among the top 8 teams for the next few years and with some draft help may be able to contend for a title in the very near future. HOWEVER, my main concern is with Lynch. I just dont see 1st round talent with this guy. I think he has gone over 100 yds maybe 2 times and seems to have a ton of 2 yard carries. It is certainly not for lack of effort. He gives 110% But his avg gain is way less than 3 and good backs average over 4. Im thinkin a guy of this caliber is easily found in the 3rd and 4th round.

With the SD game coming up, if we had a back that could take 30 carries and give us a big edge in time of possesion we could win the game by keeping Rivers and Gates and Tomlinson off the field. I just dont think Lynch is the kind of back that gives us that capability. Aside from character issues I dont see Lynch as any improvement from Willis.

Is anyone else disappointed with this guy like I am?

Ya, and we have an All-Pro line that those Super Bowl Bills would envy. :devil:

Hello TBD folks. I have been visiting the site for some time now and finally decided to join the converstion.

I am thrilled with the 08 team. We have a team on the rise and can expect to be among the top 8 teams for the next few years and with some draft help may be able to contend for a title in the very near future. HOWEVER, my main concern is with Lynch. I just dont see 1st round talent with this guy. I think he has gone over 100 yds maybe 2 times and seems to have a ton of 2 yard carries. It is certainly not for lack of effort. He gives 110% But his avg gain is way less than 4 and good backs average over 4. Im thinkin a guy of this caliber is easily found in the 3rd and 4th round.

With the SD game coming up, if we had a back that could take 30 carries and give us a big edge in time of possesion we could win the game by keeping Rivers and Gates and Tomlinson off the field. I just dont think Lynch is the kind of back that gives us that capability. Aside from character issues I dont see Lynch as any improvement from Willis.

Is anyone else disappointed with this guy like I am?

edited : But his avg gain is way less than 3, meant 4

If you want to directly upgrade your running game, you can either upgrade your running back or your offensive line. During the post Super Bowl era, the Bills have used four picks in the first two rounds of the draft on RBs, and only two picks in those rounds on the offensive line.

RBs:

Antowain Smith (1st)

Travis Henry (2nd)

Willis McGahee (1st)

Marshawn Lynch (1st)

OLs:

Ruben Brown (1st)

Mike Williams (1st)

This approach hasn't proven particularly successful at building a solid running game. As an aside, the Bills have numerous DB picks during the post Super Bowl era:

DBs

Thomas Smith (1st, 1993)

Jeff Burris (1st, 1994)

Antoine Winfield (1st, 1999)

Nate Clements (1st)

Donte Whitner (1st)

Leodis McKelvin (1st)

Every player on that list is either in his first contract, or else has gone first contract and out. Because the Bills have been so busy using their highest draft picks on RBs and first contract and out DBs, there haven't been very many high picks to use on the offensive line. RBs can often have short careers. DBs' careers are generally longer. But that extra length isn't very helpful for a team which consistently allows its first round CBs to go first contract and out. The Bills have used up their most valuable draft picks on what--for this team at any rate--have been revolving door positions such as RB and CB. As a result, the post Super Bowl era Bills have failed to build a strong core of players. And you can't get very far in the playoffs without that kind of core.

To be successful, this team needs to adopt the philosophy that when a high draft pick player works out, he gets extended, period. And if the Bills aren't willing to pay the market rate for a given position--such as CB--then they have no business in using early picks on that position.

To get back to your earlier point, the Bills aren't in a position to upgrade their RBs. 1) Lynch isn't the problem: the offensive line is. 2) You're almost certainly not going to get an upgrade for Lynch in the later rounds of the draft. 3) If you address RB with your first or second round picks, then that's a pick you're basically stealing from the offensive line. Even with an early pick, there's an excellent chance your new RB won't be a significant upgrade over Lynch. The Bills have no reason at all to draft a RB and every reason to address the OL for a change.

An inarticulate dolt such as I could ponder your quote (If I remember correctly it was by Samuel Johnson?) for a year and still not comprehend its full meaning.

OK, here's another. Good luck with the interpretation....

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

I guess what I should have said was I don't think your criteria was very meaningful.

Really? You didn't think that it was a direct refutation of this?

I just dont see 1st round talent with this guy. I think he has gone over 100 yds maybe 2 times and seems to have a ton of 2 yard carries. It is certainly not for lack of effort. He gives 110% But his avg gain is way less than 4 and good backs average over 4. Im thinkin a guy of this caliber is easily found in the 3rd and 4th round.

Guess we'll agree to disagree, then.

OK, here's another. Good luck with the interpretation....

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

Well then Mr Quotemaster General. Try putting the book of quips away and forming an original thought.

If you care to assail someones intellect it would bolster your purpose to choose your own words.

I signed on to TBD enjoy some reasonable discourse regarding our Bills, not to trade barbs with you or anyone else.

Good day sir.

BTW, it would be proper ettiquette to give credit to the authors you "borrow" your quotes from.