College Football Week 6: A Few Games To Watch

R. Rich

Of course, I should've posted this before Thursday's game, as Pittsburgh took out a pretty good South Florida team 26-21 by running the ball extremely well (LeSean McCoy, a sophomore to watch out for, was awesome w/ 142 yards in the contest). Ah well.

Here's a few games I'll be watching/tivo'ing/VCR recording this week:

GAME #1: PENN STATE @ Purdue

Why this game?: Well, duh! But anyway, I am treating the play of senior QB Daryll Clark the same way I'm treating the great 4-0 start of our beloved Bills: I like it, but I want to see more before I get all crazy 'bout it. PSU has looked great @ home for the most part over the past couple seasons, but has looked nearly as bad on the road also. Purdue is struggling now (QB Curtis Painter, one of my preseason all conference picks, in particular) and PENN STATE should be able to go in there and put together a dominating performance. Then again, I'm still not sold on the PSU linebackers this season (we miss you, Sean Lee!), though our D line and secondary have played very well.

Player(s) To Watch Out For: Clark, for one. He is having a very good year so far, and I'm hoping he'll continue the trend. He is said to be a very good friend and willing pupil to Michael Robinson, PSU's former Big 11 Player of the Year who is trying to ensure Clark doesn't get overwhelmed in his first (and last) year as the starter. Also, I have been a fan of Aaron Maybin, a DE out of Ellicott City MD (just down the street from where I live). I like the rush he brings off the edge and his intensity. Sometimes, it needs to be controlled by him better (no more roughing calls!), but the guy has really made an impact for the PSU defense this year. I'm also going to be watching Painter, to see if this is his wake up call or if he continues his slump. Personlly, I hope the slump continues, but I'm surprised to see him struggling like this.

Prediction: PENN STATE wins, but not the dominating blowout we Lions fans would like to see. We are on the road, after all. PENN STATE 27 - Purdue 20.

GAME #2: Texas Tech @ Kansas State

Why this game?: I always like to see @ least a few Tech games every year, just to see how well their line does in pass protection (they throw the ball all day) and to see if there are any diamonds in the rough in terms of their skill players. QB Graham Harrell has already thrown for over 1,500 yards and has 12 TDs on the year for the Red Raiders and while super sophomore WR Michael Crabtree has been on the end of the majority of those completions, there's another sophomore in Detron Lewis to look out for. RB Shannon Woods is back on track and looking pretty good this year also.

Player(s) To Watch Out For: Start w/ the aforementioned Crabtree and Lewis. Two of a bunch of talented sophomores all 'round the NCAA, they are a nice duo for Harrell to utilize. K State signal caller Josh Freeman is no slouch either. He has recently gone over 6,300 passing yards for his career, putting him atop the school's all time list ahead of former record holder Lynn Dickey (also a former punching bag while w/ the Packers, for those who remember). Junior wideout Brandon Banks is a bit small @ 5-7 and 170lbs, but he can get open and has become Freeman's main target.

Prediction: While K State is 3-1 on the year, they haven't had a conference game yet. Woods should have a good outing vs a pitiful Wildcat run defense in leading the Red Raiders to victory. Texas Tech 37 - Kansas State 17

GAME #3: Ohio State @ Wisconsin

Why this game?: Two of the Big 11's best meet up in what should be a very tough contest. Wisconsin has some questions to answer, though. How will the Badgers bounce back from their huge choke job of last week, when they blew a 19 point halftime lead and lost 27-25 to Michigan? How will they be able to contain the running of both Beanine Wells and Terrell Pryor? If they can answer these, and if they can continue to run as well as they usually do (averaging over 218 yards per game), then we may have ourselves a ball game, folks.

Player(s) To Watch Out For: For starters, I'll be watching the defense of TOSU to see how they'll try to stop the running of P.J. Hill and John Clay. They have looked surprisingly slow and non athletic (the Ohio U and USC games come to mind) and need to have a great showing here. Also, I'll watch the progress of Pryor. I think he's an incredible talent that will only get better.

Prediction: Camp Randall Stadium will be rocking tonight for this one, and I think they'll actually pull off an upset here. They haven't lost in their house in 3 years (Iowa), and it won't happen now. Next week, when PENN STATE comes to town, might be a different story, but..... Wisconsin 20 - Ohio State 17

GAME #4: Texas @ Colorado

Why this game?: Are the 5th ranked Longhorns for real? Is Colt McCoy ready for prime time? Can Buffaloes coach Dan Hawkins reverse the losing trend this team has had in recent years in regard to their meetings w/ the Longhorns? We'll find out.

Player(s) To Watch Out For: While I'd rather watch the Texas A&M-Oklahoma State to get more tape on Ok State TE Brandon Pettigrew, there's a couple players to watch in this one also. I'll start w/ Texas QB McCoy. He has been outstanding to start the season, but now it's time to gear up for the conference games. Let's see what the kid can do. As for Colorado, I want to see what impact (if any) DT George Hypolite can have in this one. He'd better start having some impact, as the Buffs give up over 170 yards per game on the ground. Also, let's see how QB Cody Hawkins, the coach's son, rebounds from a tough loss to Florida State last week.

Prediction: I'm sure the Colorado fans are hoping and praying that this is a trap game for Texas, who gets a crack @ the top ranked Sooners next week in the annual Red River Shootout (or whatever the heck they call it now; stupid sponsors). I don't see it. While I don't see a replay of the last time they met (a 70-3 beatdown Texas delivered en route to their national title), I do see the Longhorns getting their 6th win in the last 7 games w/ Colorado. Texas 34 - Colorado 14

Enjoy the games, folks!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.