A Few Thoughts About The Game

Bill from NYC

Great analysis Bill! 2 things to add to the Trent praise: Lee Evans may have played his worse 3/4 of a game as a pro. But everytime he dropped/fumbled/had the ball stolen, Edwards went right back to him to show he was counting on him and help him get over the errors. Sideline shots of Trent remind me of Unitas. His expression is always the same. You can't tell if he just threw a pick-6 or engineered a 96 yard TD drive.

The stuff of legends. :thumbsup:

I'm not mocking Butler, I just don't think he has the proper frame to do the job a RG is supposed to be able to do, push his guy BACK on a regular basis on running plays. On the other hand, his height probably makes him a better pass protector that you expect out of your RG. We could do a lot worse, but I don't put much stock in the "grading system" or YPC to a particular side. I hope Butler gets better as a run blocker, but he sure beats the hell out of Tuten Reyes and Joe Panos!!!

I didn't really notice Butler had too bad of a game either. Maybe he is just trying to cover up for his rusty right tackle and undersized center, who actually I thought was really kind of crap in this game too. I liked him before this, but I see what people are complaining about now, he really gets pushed back and has trouble holding out a big guy at times. They certainly don't try to run up the middle with him in there much, which seems like it would be natural for ML. I think coupled with the rusty one it was hard to watch.

I think the whole offense had some crappy plays coupled with bad FIELD POSITION the first 3 quarters. But that can happen at times. I was soooooo like "CRAPPP AGAIN?" when we were starting from the 4 in that 96 yard drive. To think, I almost turned it off, so I could wake up for work in 4 hours (I live in Bangkok) but didn't, couldn't........

They really could use a sweep with the speed they have on this side of the line (when Jason shakes off the rust, that is and what else do you use a fullback for? Actually with the cuts into the seams that both ML and FJ can make, it really would make some sense, winter is coming). I also wondered when they would misdirection the defense more (we have a screen pass in the playbook no?) the pass out to the right after the pretty playaction showed how effective that it is not to go where they expect you to. The Raiders were blitzing and teeing off a lot, they could have used more slow developing misdirection to counter it. I wondered if Trent is reading it or Turk doesn't want to make it too complicated. They also really take so much longer when they are in the huddle at times (pass) that it telegraphs the play to the other team before they are at the line.

Okay enough with the negitivity.

I am so really impressed with ML and TE and the kinds of stuff they have done in the first 3 games. These guys are both in their second years (what a frigging draft!!! Poz too!). They both have the true grit that we so badly needed (again Poz too and Whitner, it may of been a late tackle but you could see they were fired up after it). Actually let me add Reed to it too. He played great, he blocks like a Muther F*&\ker, and came up big with some great routes. I think he is the Greer of the O this year. Lee really had a bad day LOL, it was good he stepped up.

I really thought Trent wasn't going to get up after the Parish TD (That was 380 lbs landing on him at full charge). The extra conditioning really seems to have payed off. I loved seeing him walking down the sideline and revving the guys up too. I also noticed JP when he was congratulating someone after a big play. I wonder, if they go far, will he still be itching so bad to get out of here, he does have a role here if he wants it and is willing to stay.

I have some stuff to say about the Faders (wow, that fits that team on Sunday) I kind of think that both of Oakland's lines are pretty dammed impressive. Why they went to zone and playing not to lose is beyond me though (I am pretty damm happy they did though, too). Their secondary is good as well, the LBs well......... can't have everything.

Maybe the D coach is really trying to get the HC fired, or he never watched the Bills defensive efforts in some heartbreakers last year. The have some players that I didn't ever consider to be that good before (and if you watched the Denver game they played badly and you know what I mean, but first games can be like that). I think we beat a pretty good team with a good amount of talent that is maybe 2 - 4 players and a Qb getting some maturity away from being in the post season (sound familar?). They really have to get crazy Al to do something though. If he leaves this wound open, he will be stuck with more losses and no choices, and another great draft pick LOL. The LBs need an upgrade that is for sure. They have plenty of weapons on O but they just can't do much more than run at this point. I expect if things go well and they handle the coaching problem better they will be damm good for a few years again.

I thought field position had a lot to do with the play on both sides of the ball, I was miffed as to why Roosco took that one ball deep that cost us points (although he redeemed himself). I wonder if McKelvin should be back there at times but maybe he is learning on the job and it will pay off big soon. He seems to have a knack for getting tackled by the kickers though LOL (although theirs is a big beastly guy, got say and for the most part he killed us with his punts). Our STs need some time to gel, again, they are going to get good, the youngest players on the team made the mistakes. Johnson got plowed over at least twice that I saw (I think it was him). Wilson was a monster out there though, Ellison too. It will come together, I have faith in Bobby. But lousy Field Position is tough, the D can really tee off more.

Our D got some of that let them down to the gate, then don't open it, that we saw soooo much of last year and it really saved the game that they didn't give up the TDs early. Some of them were in on every play, I thought Denny looked good too, but I was like stoppppp bending! already. I think we will miss Crow a bit too but we solidified and showed containment when it counted, they played a good game to keep us in it. Youboty makes a nice LBer and really isn't that much different of a size then Ellison, kind of interesting to see them go to the 5 CBs when he was out with the pointer. I was really impressed with them all on the run game and that TD pass was just a good ball to a fast guy in the right place, I doubt Poz misses the next one like that.

Let's face it some days the team is going to stink up the joint (arrgh costly penalties!!! and bad line play). They are young and making strides though. The most important thing about the ugly win, is it points out mistakes to the players and coaches, that they can adjust as time goes by................... and they WON! How great is that...........! Great for building confidence on and great for keeping things in perspective.

9) I am not going to embarrass people and name names, but thanks to those at Lot 1/Pole 5 for the fun, friendship, hospitality, and yes.....teaching me yet more about NFL Football. I am already planting "playoff seeds" in terms of getting permission from my wife to come back up there. I suppose I should be more macho and just insist, right? Or, maybe not. :thumbsup:

What ever works! lol