The Race as seen from here

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great. Then it should be easy for you to remember them, and put them in a post right here.

Don't bother, he isn't worth the effort.

Think though that you are right, both sides early on realized what an event Palin would be. Short-term this works for the Republicans, the Dems have to play defense on her and that is never good. The sooner they get back to McCain the better for them. The longer he can use her as a foil for attacks the less negative he appears.

I think the Dems including bloggers should ignore her and go back to focusing in on McCain and his obvious leadership issues, especially his temper, health, and policy flip-flops.

Don't bother, he isn't worth the effort.

Think though that you are right, both sides early on realized what an event Palin would be. Short-term this works for the Republicans, the Dems have to play defense on her and that is never good. The sooner they get back to McCain the better for them. The longer he can use her as a foil for attacks the less negative he appears.

I think the Dems including bloggers should ignore her and go back to focusing in on McCain and his obvious leadership issues, especially his temper, health, and policy flip-flops.

Oh, it'd be nice if she would just disappear, but I just don't see that happening and its not because of the Dems

The way I look at it--very biasedly I admit--but this Palin has such a horrible record that in the next two months the Dems should be able to get that obvious point across.

If you think Palin has a horrible record, wait until Obama's "chickens come home to roost" to quote his mentor Rev. Wright.

In yesterday's "les Echos" (the main economic french newspaper, something like the french "wall street journal"), there was an interesting editorial on the US presidential race. I made this translation, hoping it is understandable...

Let's face facts, the French only know "I surrender" as a military policy and are being destroyed politically from within. France's opinion is like asking an alcoholic how to stop alcoholism. Do you honestly think France's demographics and economy will be anything like today in 25 years? So why the hell should we care what a parasitic ideological perspective is presented to us? I could have read Daily Kos to get the same view.

Same thing goes here, but in fact it's because of the gross liberalism which is a parasite on the living. The only problem is natural parasites know when to leave when the organism they are killing is dying off, ideological liberalism wants to kill without impunity and cut their own nose off.

We'll find her back in Deerballs, Alaska cooking mooseburgers come November, probably speaking in tongues in that godawful annoying accent of hers.

They are a little somewhat closed community up there from what I've seen. If she loses because of dirt unearthed by fellow Alaskans I bet there will be a bloodletting of sorts. She has already fired anyone that has given her any trouble at all

Let's face facts, the French only know "I surrender" as a military policy and are being destroyed politically from within. France's opinion is like asking an alcoholic how to stop alcoholism. Do you honestly think France's demographics and economy will be anything like today in 25 years? So why the hell should we care what a parasitic ideological perspective is presented to us? I could have read Daily Kos to get the same view.

Same thing goes here, but in fact it's because of the gross liberalism which is a parasite on the living. The only problem is natural parasites know when to leave when the organism they are killing is dying off, ideological liberalism wants to kill without impunity and cut their own nose off.

Hey look, a guy that still eats freedom fries!

If anyone needed proof of France's love for Barack Obama, le Figaro offered it today with an opinion poll. This finds that 80 percent of the French want the Democrat candidate to win the US presidency while only eight percent favour John McCain.

The poll was carried out by TNS Sofres on September 2 and 3, before McCain benefited from the Sarah Palin bounce (and that will have without any doubt no effect on what the frenchmen may think) but it gives an idea of the overwhelming wish in France to see a President Obama take office. Eighty-six percent have a good opinion of him compared with only 35 percent for McCain. The strong support cuts across social class and the political spectrum. The most senior French politicians at the Democratic convention came from President Sarkozy's rightwing UMP party, not the leftwing opposition.

The BBC found pro-Obama feeling to be strong worldwide in a poll this week, but the passion seems to run higher in France than anywhere. There are reasons for this.

True, but interesting for another reason. It coincidentally highlights (and this is in no way a criticism of the posters contribution) a problem with the Democratic worldview: they look at France and a few other Western European countries and draw sweeping conclusions about the world. It is as myopic as those Republicans who think the world ends at our borders.

The democratic mantra is that Obama is the overwhelming favorite around the world; and it's true, he is the sentimental favorite. But not overwhelming. Likewise the public opinion of the US has deteriorated around the world during the Bush administration in areas such as the Mid East and Europe, but not that much overall.

But the Democrats err in thinking that Bush and the Republicans are vilified, precisely because they err in thinking that the world is Western Europe. India seems to prefer McCain in a disinterested sort of way by a slight margin. That's about a quarter of the world. China and the far east seems pretty indifferent. Now we are at about two thirds. Eastern Europe is much more supportive of the Republicans, despite broad disapproval of the Iraq war. Russia's motives are purely political. Africa seems enthusiastic about Obama, but the mid-East seems indifferent. (I don't have a sense of what South America thinks.)

IMO if Obama wins, most of the world thinks 'that's neat,' shrugs and moves on. Western Europe has a celebratory honeymoon that lasts about six months before they find some new American outrage to protest.

:thumbsup::):thumbsup::thumbsup:

it's true your opinion is much more interesting, full of wisedom, culture and experience!!!

True, but interesting for another reason. It coincidentally highlights (and this is in no way a criticism of the posters contribution) a problem with the Democratic worldview: they look at France and a few other Western European countries and draw sweeping conclusions about the world. It is as myopic as those Republicans who think the world ends at our borders.

heu.... as i have started this topic may i remind you i am not an american democrat but a frenchman ... so this thread does not highlight "democratic worldview" but just mine!

But otherwise i agree with most of your post (and knowing a little about Latin America can tell you they are very pro Obama).

If anyone needed proof of France's love for Barack Obama, le Figaro offered it today with an opinion poll. This finds that 80 percent of the French want the Democrat candidate to win the US presidency while only eight percent favour John McCain.
If this gets out to most Americans..It seals the election for McCain :thumbsup:

The sooner they get back to McCain the better for them. The longer he can use her as a foil for attacks the less negative he appears.

Exactly. There's a reason McCain's campaign manager said this, and uses this as his overall strategy for winning:

Rick Davis, campaign manager for John McCain's presidential bid, insisted that the presidential race will be decided more over personalities than issues during an interview with Post editors this morning.

"This election is not about issues," said Davis. "This election is about a composite view of what people take away from these candidates."

Sweet. Who needs debates and ideas and strategies when we can have a tabloid circus focused on lapel pins and 6-second sound bites?

Exactly. There's a reason McCain's campaign manager said this, and uses this as his overall strategy for winning:

Rick Davis, campaign manager for John McCain's presidential bid, insisted that the presidential race will be decided more over personalities than issues during an interview with Post editors this morning.

"This election is not about issues," said Davis. "This election is about a composite view of what people take away from these candidates."

Sweet. Who needs debates and ideas and strategies when we can have a tabloid circus focused on lapel pins and 6-second sound bites?

Speaking of that...what was that pin she had on? Was it the US flag or something else, I couldn't tell