huhh??

Tcali

You are looking at the stats standing on your head. More points given up and more yards given up mean a lower overall defensive ranking.

Yes...um(head bowed down)...I just got that. sorry...doin 2 things at once and didn't realize that nfl.com is really stupid for ranking them upside-down.(walking backwards, slowly out the door...head still down)

Found it.<-- This is what I mean, and it's a hell of lot more accurate than the traditional way of looking at team defense stats, because it takes much more into account.

We are ranked 18th overall not 31st, by Football Outsiders, and they have clearly proven their ability. The only reason more "experts" don't use this superior system for ranking teams? I doubt they could understand it. Seriously, I look at it and think: how in the heck is KC Joyner/Dan Marino/(insert your favorite dumbass, but NFL "expert" here) even going to understand this? Never mind use it correctly.

I also thought this was interesting, but I have no intention of starting another "draft D line, because you are smart" or whatever that was, debate. Based on this, our D line was ranked 2nd in terms of stopping short yardage runs-->cool. But we also ranked 25th in terms of giving up long runs-->not cool. And, we also stink up the joint on defeating pass protection(sacks)-->not very cool at all, and this is the only thing we were ranked 31st at.

The other thing? We were worst in the league on runs to the "left side" of our defense. But, we were 1st in the league on runs to the "right end". Interesting indeed. :lol: Edit: Looks I had this backwards. Apparently runs to Kelsay's side were pretty bad. He had better pick up his run assignments better this year.

Edit: Oh, and I almost forgot, the difference between us and Pittsburgh(the statistically best d in the league last year)? Running backs carried the ball 87 more times against our defense. :devil: This is what I am talking about. That's basically like playing 2-3 extra games on defense more than Pittsburgh, and you can't blame all of that on "not getting off the field". I'd say 50% of it at least was: "offense putting our D back on the field".

Found it.<-- This is what I mean, and it's a hell of lot more accurate than the traditional way of looking at team defense stats, because it takes much more into account.

We are ranked 18th overall not 31st, by Football Outsiders, and they have clearly proven their ability. The only reason more "experts" don't use this superior system for ranking teams? I doubt they could understand it. Seriously, I look at it and think: how in the heck is KC Joyner/Dan Marino/(insert your favorite dumbass, but NFL "expert" here) even going to understand this? Never mind use it correctly.

I also thought this was interesting, but I have no intention of starting another "draft D line, because you are smart" or whatever that was, debate. Based on this, our D line was ranked 2nd in terms of stopping short yardage runs-->cool. But we also ranked 25th in terms of giving up long runs-->not cool. And, we also stink up the joint on defeating pass protection(sacks)-->not very cool at all, and this is the only thing we were ranked 31st at.

The other thing? We were worst in the league on runs to the "left side" of our defense. But, we were 1st in the league on runs to the "right end". Interesting indeed. :devil: Edit: Looks I had this backwards. Apparently runs to Kelsay's side were pretty bad. He had better pick up his run assignments better this year.

Edit: Oh, and I almost forgot, the difference between us and Pittsburgh(the statistically best d in the league last year)? Running backs carried the ball 87 more times against our defense. :devil: This is what I am talking about. That's basically like playing 2-3 extra games on defense more than Pittsburgh, and you can't blame all of that on "not getting off the field". I'd say 50% of it at least was: "offense putting our D back on the field".

OC---I agree with you that we weren't as bad as our stats would lead people to believe. HOWEVER, no matter how you slice and dice it we still weren't STELLAR. We weren't the worst D in the league last year even though the traditional stats say so.Like you say there were mitigating factors.Agreed.