Country Sweet Sauce

Steely Dan

I love Country Sweet sauce. Just made some chicken and I'm letting it soak in the hot variety. For those of you unfamiliar with this sauce it's often referred to as a "Rochester Sauce". It is hot and sweet at the same time. It's damn tasty.

In college my brother swore it must have had something addicting, like cocaine, in the sauce. It comes with macaroni salad that is awesome with the sauce on it. They put bread on the bottom which soaks up some of the sauce. :devil:

Anybody else in love with this sauce? I got this sauce at Wegmans the other day.

Dam living in Vegas I wish I had some right now.

care to send a bottle down?

What does it taste like?

I'd be more than happy to send you a bottle. It is hard to explain. It is like a cross between bbq sauce and sweet and sour sauce - or heaven as many call it.

• 1 year later...

Country Sweet:

1 cup sugar

2/3 cup prepared mustard

3/4 cup catsup

1/4 to 1/3 cup lemon juice

1/4 to 1/2 cup vinegar

1/4 teaspoon dry mustard (optional)

1/2 to 2 teaspoons hot pepper flakes (crushed red peppers)

Combine all in a small saucepan and simmer until thickened. Vary the amounts of lemon juice and vinegar to adust the sweetness to your liking.

Hey- Thanks for posting this very simple recipe. I tried it this week and here are my impressions:

1. I would start with half the mustard and add as desired. Following the recipe above, the finished product was very mustard-dominant in flavor. I had to increase the other ingredients to balance it out. Maybe it's because I used generic yellow mustard. I added the dry mustard, too, which may or may not have been a good idea.

2. I used apple cider vinegar because it was all I could find in the kitchen. I think regular distilled white vinegar would be more appropriate, or at least a half and half mix (cider vinegar is listed as an ingredient in the real CS sauce, but it's near the back of the list).

3. I had to just about double the pepper flakes to get some measurable heat. I guess use your judgement.

4. The longer it simmered, the more it began to resemble the original. Give it some time and you'll be glad you did.

5. I would think about replacing some of the ketchup with straight tomato paste. With ketchup, you are adding a lot of sugar and vinegar to the mix and I think it threw the flavor off a little.

And that's my anal-retentive assessment of home-made Country Sweet sauce. After a few adjustments, I was pretty happy with the finished product. We'll see how it goes over at the Super Bowl party on sunday.