Marshawn Lynch vs Fred Jackson

ans4e64

I think the Bills this year will use Lynch and Jackson interchangably. The coaches probably feel that either on eof them can get the job done in either department, with the greater abilities one or the other has in certain areas being negligible when taking into account the need for a balanced and unpredictable attack. Maybe Jackson is better at catching out of the backfield, but I think the coaches realize that if they put him in there everytime they are going to throw a swing pass, the defense will catch on and stop it. It seems like the coaches want to keep their options open this year in regards to tendencies, since this was such an issue last year. I could watch the games with certian people who paid attention and they could call out the play before the snap (to qualify this, I don't know any one who makes any money or decisions in the football industry).

I've been thinking about this throughout the offseason. It was a big concern last year with Marshawn not getting enough touches out of the backfield, and wanting to get him more involved in the passing game.

It was also not popular when we had a 3rd down back instead of McGahee getting the touches. It seems as though the idea of a 3rd down back isn't very popular in Bills land.

However, no matter how much we try to force the ball to Lynch out of the backfield, and no matter how much practice or opportunities we give him to catch the ball... Fred Jackson is just better at it. All kidding aside, Jackson is one of the better RBs on screen passes that I've seen around the league. He still doesn't hold a candle to Westbrook, but he is better than Lynch and better than most backs. His receiving skills are very, very good.

Lynch has looked spectacular at picking up the blitz this preseason, something I didn't think would be as quick of a turn-a-round from last year.

IMO, even though we want to get Lynch more involved, Fred Jackson should be the primary target in situations and some 3rd downs. I'm not saying that Lynch can't do it, he most certainly can, he's better than most backs, but Fred is just... better. I think the Bills have tried to move Marshawn into that category of receiving threat, and he looks pretty good so far, but I can't deny that Fred just seems more natural with it.

This is the thing.....if we want to be flexible and not predictable on offense....then both guys are going to have to be able to do both.

I actually like Lynch as a pass catcher.....just stop floating balls to him and give him a chance to make someting happen after the catch.

If lynch can do it, I would like to see him on the field for all 3 downs. I have no problem giving him a breather from time to time, especially if he gets as many carries as he did last season. I just dont like the idea of "3rd down backs" comming in on every obvious passing down. I think lynch can catch just fine.

If lynch can do it, I would like to see him on the field for all 3 downs. I have no problem giving him a breather from time to time, especially if he gets as many carries as he did last season. I just dont like the idea of "3rd down backs" comming in on every obvious passing down. I think lynch can catch just fine.

more then fine....i think alot of yall arent giving him much credit...he has very good hands

As for that link I'm not a big fan of combine numbers, but the one drill out of those that is most likely to show excellent acceleration would be that shorter 20yrd shuttle. The top 5 finishers ran that in 4.08 - 4.16. Marshawn ran it in 4.58.

Take it fwiw

How does the 20yard shuttle show accerlation?? you run in 5 yard increments back and forth 5 to left 10 to the right then back for 5.......... its a test of coordination and change of direction speed.....not acceleration