Peter King...

buckeyemike

I've never cared much for Peter King as a writer, but on his recent trip to Browns training camp, he talked about Cleveland and his experiences there:

"The other night I dined with Cleveland GM Phil Savage on the outdoor patio of the Moosehead Café, a pleasant tavern with Moosehead Beer (God, how long has it been since I had a Moosehead?). The cafe is on the border of Westlake and Bay Village on the west side of Cleveland, and we were at the table on a cool, breezy, clear night for a couple of hours. Servers swarmed our table pleasantly and efficiently. Collectively, we had a large order of home-baked potato chips, two ice teas (his), three Heineken Lights (mine), two mega-salads (one with roast turkey, the other with chicken), two orders of whole wheat Texas Toast and coffee.

The bill came: $36.08.

I thought: Isn't traveling wonderful? When you live in a megalopolis, you get used to paying double that for less. It's nice to know there are still places in the world -- lots of them, as I see every summer on my training-camp trip -- where restaurants have more reasonable prices.

I hadn't seen the Lake communities on the west side of Cleveland since my post-college days, when the family considered moving to northeast Ohio. Beautiful. The parks, the homes on the lake, the green space ... Anyone who rips Cleveland has never been to the west side of town."

This is where I grew up (the next town closer to Cleveland, in Rocky River). I still live near there.

I've never been to the Moosehead, but I've driven by it many times. My wife Kim is from Bay Village, and her parents still live there. Maybe I should stop by the Moosehead...I have heard about those homemade potato chips before. :blink:

I've been in these parks that Mr. King speaks of, and some of those homes on the lake are nothing short of spectacular. Kim and I are starting to look at houses now, but I know we won't be able to afford any of the lakefront ones anytime soon. :blink:

Those of you who live in Buffalo or are from the Buffalo area, don't let anyone get you down about your hometown. The food's terrific there, and I know the cost of living is still affordable. As many of you know, Cleveland and Buffalo are a lot more similar than they are different. That's part of the charm of our respective hometowns.

BTW, the link for Peter King's SI.com blog is here.