Robinson And The Horns' D

R. Rich

With Greg Robinson as the new offensive coordinator, the Longhorns hope they can now get over the hump-meaning the Oklahoma Sooners.

I wonder if they're asking for too much here. After all, didn't Robinson just lose his last job? And, wasn't HIS unit the main reason HIS team had to sit and watch the Super Bowl last year? I guess we'll find out if this is a better fit for him. After all, going back to college has worked well for ex AFC East coaches Pete Carroll and Al Groh; maybe he'll have the same good fortune.

I'm not real sure the Chiefs gave him a fair shake I mean lets face it the front office didn't give him much to work with.

6136[/snapback]

KC's defenses have had talent for years, which is why they've always been at or near the top of the league in turover margin. The problem is that it's not a very tough defense, especially up front. They give up way too many rushing yards, something Robinson wasn't able to fix during his tenure. If he can, as the Longhorns' defensive coordinator, get his defense to generate turnovers, they'll be fine. Texas usually has good size up front, so they should be okay against the run. Now, Mack Brown has been called 'soft' as a coach, so the challenge is for Robinson to get them to play hard and be physical as well as use their athleticism to force turnovers.

You're right, Mark. I don't think recruiting is an issue at all with Brown. He was able to stock UNC with some good talent while he was there and has done a decent job of bringing talent to Texas as well. The problem is his teams do not play well in the big game (namely, OU).

I think back to the all too recent John Cooper days in Columbus. As Coach of Arizona St. in the late 1980's, his team upset Michigan in the Rose Bowl. With that, The Buckeyes fired Earl Bruce ( who I liked ) and Cooper was in. He always recruited well. Problem was, he only beat Michigan twice in 15 trys. Many years, it was the only loss. Still didn't sit well with the Alumni. Thus the hiring of Tressel and a National Championship in his 2nd year. Tressel is also a very good recruiter.

He now has the Buckeyes job as long as he wants it.

Archived