Need some Pet/Vet advice

BUFFALOTONE

Turns 4 in Dec.

Just got word from the vet that he has mild hip dysplesia which is common in there breed.

I have an appointment on Tuesday with the surgeon just to see the extent of the injury. It could be the knee or hip, its to hard to tell now. My wife picked him up and he had a shot and some pills, we will see how he is doing after the weekend.

For those with the put him to sleep comments I kind of expected some, but the dog doesnt have cancer or a debilitating disease. Its an injury. If the Dr. said its cancer and if we operate he could live 6 months I would have to think long and hard about it. This is just money. I am not going to let this guys just sit there and suffer. i am defienetly not one of those people who equate pets to children or hold them at the level but he is a close friend and a good pet. Granted he has eaten about 2k worth of our sh-t he is still my boy.

Just hope hes not hurting too bad.

The way I looked at it, in the past, was, how much longer was he going to live? Looks like the life expectancy is only ~8 years, and a significant portion of that will be rehab. It's up to you though to determine what is best for him, not what is best for you.

If you bought it from a breeder, you might ask their recommendation. Or try the message boards on BulldogsWorld.com.

I once couldn't bring myself to put an animal down. I don't have many bigger regrets than my cowardice in prolonging the agony he went through.

I don't envy your situation.

To be honest, I've always felt like there's a certain karma with taking proper care of a pet.

Could not agree more, AD.

I realize most of the PTS comments were lame-ass attempts to be cute, but it still annoys me. However, there are many, many folks out there that suscribe to the policy that dogs are disposable commodities, and not the closest things to angels on Earth. Sucks to be them, IMO...

4 is way too young to be thinking of putting him down, so don't worry what these other guys say :thumbsup:

Anyway....I would get a 2nd opinion. You'd probably do it if it were your knee....

My family had a dog who was about that age and had knee problems. He had surgery (and had to be crated) twice before they actually did a biopsy and realized it was a cancer endemic to his breed. They thought about amputation, but it was too late by then, and he didn't make it much past 5. It most likely is just an orthopedic problem, but I would learn as much as you can about knee problems in your breed and what they might be caused by, and seek out a vet who knows your breed well.

Also, while hip displasia might be a concern, a lot of dogs live with it. Feed him treats with Glucosamine every day (we like Zuke's Hip Action) and take your vet's advice on how much exercise he should get.

BTW, when I saw he was only 4 my first thought was definitely do the surgery. However, I expect a dog to make it to at least 12, and that probably isn't realistic for Rosco's breed. This That was why I suggested the Bulldog message board for advice.

4 is way too young to be thinking of putting him down, so don't worry what these other guys say :wallbash:

Anyway....I would get a 2nd opinion. You'd probably do it if it were your knee....

My family had a dog who was about that age and had knee problems. He had surgery (and had to be crated) twice before they actually did a biopsy and realized it was a cancer endemic to his breed. They thought about amputation, but it was too late by then, and he didn't make it much past 5. It most likely is just an orthopedic problem, but I would learn as much as you can about knee problems in your breed and what they might be caused by, and seek out a vet who knows your breed well.

Also, while hip displasia might be a concern, a lot of dogs live with it. Feed him treats with Glucosamine every day (we like Zuke's Hip Action) and take your vet's advice on how much exercise he should get.

I wouldnt entertain the thought of putting him down. i was lookig for alternative resources to surgery or if people had the same issue with their pets. I expected a few wise arses, hey its The Wall.

he seems to be moving better and putting weight in it lil by lil. My friend has a boxer and the same exact thing happened to him. Said the vet initially though it was his ACL and after he went for a 2nd opinion turns out the dogs knee cap from time to time shifts up and down causing the area around the knee to irritate and inflame.

Dr. gave him a weeks worth of anti inflammatorys and he said within 3-4 days he was back to normal.

But E-ball you are dead on. Animals aren't inter changable friends that you dump just because. They are your responsibility to care for. I am not an animal lover in any way and as a kid there was never a pet in my house. My mother hates animals dogs, cats, snakes, hamsters etc. still to this day.

But i could never turn my back on him knowing I could have helped him. And trust me I am a newly wed with not that much income. I do alright but 1500-3000k is a lot of cash.