Plaxico Burress wants new deal has 3yrs left

I have mixed feelings about this.....

He is obviously underpaid for the quality he is giving us......

BUT

We dont want to set a precident that we cave in to every player that thinks they deserve a raise.

Come on Jason.....come into camp. Work a underneat the table deal that you will get a contract extension at the end of this year and lets move on......you know that we need to resign Lee Evans right now so dont be greedy.

Honestly, I can see salient points for Peters and the Bills..there is no black and white answer here.

I just wish, seeing the potential that the team holds for the coming season that we wouldn't see this situation.

I think where the main differences are;

1.) Plex negotiated a WR contract to play at his best at that position for the duration of his contract and the Giants are asking him to do just that. Peters on the other hand signed a contract to play his best at RT, now the Bills expect him to play LT (for which he was voted to the pro-bowl by the way).

2.) Plex has a degenerative ankle injury that may never heal .... is he still a good reciever even playing "through" the pain .... you bet, but I'll just about guarentee he will not get better than he is right now (maybe even be out of the league in a year or two). Peters on the other hand, although he suffered a groin injury that kept him out of the pro-bowl, is generally healthy and inexperianced at LT ..... will HE get any better in the next few years ....... all indications seem to point to yes.

So with Plex ..... we have a player that in all honesty may see the end of his career looming on the horizon and realizes if he doesn't cash in now he never will.

and with Peters ..... we have a young upper tier LT being paid yeoman RT wages and wants his due.

That stuff is a factor as is other huge contracts that have been signed because of the cap bump a couple years ago. The sooner the agents get their client a cut of that, the better off they'll be. As soon as the extra space in all the teams salary cap is used up, these more ridiculus contracts (see Dockery) will be gone. It's bad business to not try and get some, especially if you have a point like Peters does. I'd like to see Buffalo hold him off a year and then pay him a top salary next offseason. Now is time to establish guidlines similar to what the Steelers have; we re-negotiate you with 2 years left, unless you're the QB.