A way to judge drafts

beausox

The draft is not a two day exercise

1) What was value of pre draft losses ?- mindful that sometimes it is addition by subtraction- Bungles could do with a lot of subtraction IMHO. Or consider the loss of Favre vs Spikes. Was cause of loss injury or age? What is the difficulty of replacing that/those position(s). It has taken Bills forever to replace Jim Kelly.

2) Who was added via free agency ( should not K Mitchell, William James and Spencer Johnson be accounted for)? Who was added via draft trade? ( Surely there is likely high value in Stroud acquisition vs a 3rd and 5th- and surely Bills should be able to count Stroud as a draft pick)

3) After assessing #1 and #2 : What needs are there remaining? Every team drafts on basis of need. Some teams have more needs than picks of course. IMHO the choice of BPA over need is espoused most strongly by those who have a particular need. Past draft went as most everyone predicted picks 1 thru 7 and then the runs on position set in. No wides til 31 and then boom they all started to fall.

4) A much more difficult assessment is the UDFA signings. Not too long ago the draft was 12 rounds. So while difficult to assess this part of the "draft" is revealing of need and/ vs development .

The draft is not a two day exercise

1) What was value of pre draft losses ?- mindful that sometimes it is addition by subtraction- Bungles could do with a lot of subtraction IMHO. Or consider the loss of Favre vs Spikes. Was cause of loss injury or age? What is the difficulty of replacing that/those position(s). It has taken Bills forever to replace Jim Kelly.

2) Who was added via free agency ( should not K Mitchell, William James and Spencer Johnson be accounted for)? Who was added via draft trade? ( Surely there is likely high value in Stroud acquisition vs a 3rd and 5th- and surely Bills should be able to count Stroud as a draft pick)

3) After assessing #1 and #2 : What needs are there remaining? Every team drafts on basis of need. Some teams have more needs than picks of course. IMHO the choice of BPA over need is espoused most strongly by those who have a particular need. Past draft went as most everyone predicted picks 1 thru 7 and then the runs on position set in. No wides til 31 and then boom they all started to fall.

4) A much more difficult assessment is the UDFA signings. Not too long ago the draft was 12 rounds. So while difficult to assess this part of the "draft" is revealing of need and/ vs development .

And the June 1st vet cuts could fill a needed spot...

If the Vikings can consider Jared Allen a draft pick, we can count Stroud.

Of course we can. It's that simple. "With their 3rd round pick, Buffalo selects Pro Bowl defensive tackle Marcus Stroud."

Just because they didn't announce it at the podium in NY didn't make it any less true. Choosing Stroud was EXCACTLY what we did in the 3rd round of the draft this year.

Talk about value!

GO BILLS!!!

Of course we can. It's that simple. "With their 3rd round pick, Buffalo selects Pro Bowl defensive tackle Marcus Stroud."

Just because they didn't announce it at the podium in NY didn't make it any less true. Choosing Stroud was EXCACTLY what we did in the 3rd round of the draft this year.

Talk about value!

GO BILLS!!!

>And Stroud answered a need- dire i'd say- to the bills. Would any team choose free agents on the basis of Best Player Available? This whole business about value v need is so ridiculous. Fact is it is always an accomodation of the two. i suppose it was most evident to the Bills in rd 3 when there were a variety of needs. We chose DE over TE. One can normally expect to have a productive player iby year 2 or 3 out of a 3rd rd pick

And the June 1st vet cuts could fill a needed spot...

Have the Bills ever gotten a player fromthe June cuts that has played even a minor role over the past ten years? Milloy is the only one I can even think of the Bills signing and he didn't come in until September.

For some reason fans think that there are good players available after the June 1st cuts. Must be part of the "I heard of them, so they must be an upgrade over who we have..." crowd.

Have the Bills ever gotten a player fromthe June cuts that has played even a minor role over the past ten years? Milloy is the only one I can even think of the Bills signing and he didn't come in until September.

For some reason fans think that there are good players available after the June 1st cuts. Must be part of the "I heard of them, so they must be an upgrade over who we have..." crowd.

I think we see less and less quality players cut in June in part because the quality ones are auctioned off pre draft at a discount( Moss, Stroud at al) . Also teams and players are restructuring more