Bulk Wire Up and Move him to LB

Clearly, the Coy Wire experiment to safety has been a bust. But, if the coaches like his work ethic and special teams play. . . why not bulk him up and move him to OLB next year?

Coy runs a 4.6 40, which is relatively slow for a safety. But for a linebacker, thats pretty fast. This one move would improve our team speed! Take away a slow safet, and add a fast linebacker. You guys do remember that Coy played LB at Stanford, don't you? AND, I read an article where scouts say the guy has the frame to bulk up to about 230-235 lbs. He's already over 200.

His move back to LB can't be any more of a disaster than his safety play. At safety, the guy reminds me of "Rudy", . . . all the desire and heart, but just does not have the god-given ability to make it.

The hallmark of the Bills current starting LBs is athleticism and mobilty.

Why do you think a player who has displayed neither of those traits will miraculously display them when he is 20-30lbs heavier?

He ain't Adam Archuletta.

72466[/snapback]

Uh, we're talking about moving Wire OUT of SS. Archuleta is a SS and Wire would be plenty athletic and mobile for an OLB. The question is football instincts, of which he has none for a SS.

Ahh No shiite. Apparently you didn't pick up on the not so subtle comparison. Both were LBs in the pac 10. And AA has been employed as a situationally linebacker since he has the size and athleticism.

Size or not, Wire doesn't have the talent,

72476[/snapback]

I thought Wire made all PAC-10 as a OLB? And he even began as an RB at Stanford. But, I agree, it would be a long shot. I'm just saying that they CANNOT keep him on the roster as a safety next year.

Uh, we're talking about moving Wire OUT of SS.  Archuleta is a SS and Wire would be plenty athletic and mobile for an OLB.  The question is football instincts, of which he has none for a SS.

72468[/snapback]

I think Wire demonstrated good football instincts in his college days, is a great hitter at thepro level and despite the complaints us armchair GMs has impressed the coaches with his athleticism and I tend to put more credence in their judgement than that of us commentators (including me).

As a safety he has exhibited good run support and a wild abandon about tackling. However, this is the first time he has played the position at any level or organized ball including Pop Warner and surprise his pass coverage decisions suck.

I think Wire blows as a safety not because of his failings as an athlete (both physical and mental), but because he is learning on the job aqnd has never been assigned one job to learn so he sucks.

I think Wire\s training will go down in Bills history as one of the biggest axe jobs on a players development going back to the Bills over-reaching for Todd Collins and drafting him at least a round earlier than his talent deserved becaused they waited one year too long to draft Kelly's replacement and then they rushed him along before he was ready and didn't spend at least a year working in practice to get rid of his happy feet tendencies.

The Bills (with GW leading the charge by putting too much faith in Billy Jenkins who was washed up when we got him) should have immediately slotted in Wire as the potential next Steve Tasker (different skill set but the role he was trained for) and worked to teach him ST skills right from the start.

I would not give up on him yet, but he needs consistent training and guidance to be a real contributor to the Bills.

A better position for Coy is as a graduate assistant at Stanford or ECCC.

Why stop at LB. Why not have the workout warrior bulk up 90lbs and play center.

72430[/snapback]

:D ouch!

have to agree...i think wire should put every ounce of energy into being the next steve tasker...that's the only place i can think of where he makes the team better instead of worse.

Guest Guest_eyedog_*

And you wonder why this team stinks. Just look at the top draft picks {rds. 1-4} the last couple of years, and Coy is one of them I'm talking about. The finger gets pointed directly at TD as far as I'm concerned.