Owen Schmitt and Peyton Hillis Still on the Board

ax4782

We could use a versatile FB ahead of Marshawn Lynch. I fear that the Derek Fine pick may be the signal that we are going to use the H-Back system again this year, which, IMO would be a disaster. We don't have a decent FB on the roster and Schmitt and Hillis would be immediate starters. Which one, if either do you think Buffalo should take, and at what point. I say we take one of them in the 6th round.

We could use a versatile FB ahead of Marshawn Lynch. I fear that the Derek Fine pick may be the signal that we are going to use the H-Back system again this year, which, IMO would be a disaster. We don't have a decent FB on the roster and Schmitt and Hillis would be immediate starters. Which one, if either do you think Buffalo should take, and at what point. I say we take one of them in the 6th round.

They are a stretch to be draft picks at all, well at least according to the brass on this board.

I don't really mind who, just... since our OCsaid we would be returning to an offense that incorporates a FB, it would be nice to get a guy who has spent some time at the position. We've farted around with tweeners and TE/HB/FB/Backup-waterboy for a few years now and the run game has suffered when we really needed it; to wit, getting stuffed more times than I care to remember last year on 3rd/4th and short. Let's face it. Buffalo is not a pass-first franchise, especially late in the season when the weather takes hold and yards matter most.

Schmidt is a guy who lost yardage 5 times in his college career, and makes guys flinch. Having him plow the road for Marshawn like he did in the Nickel-and-Dime O at WV is historical Bills style football. OTOH, Hillis is a guy who can block, catch and run and I wouldn't be dissatisfied with him. Likewise, we could take another guy the scouts are keen on. Or, if they don't believe they'll be drafted, we need to get on the phone to entice the guy we want to sign with us as UDFA. I don't really care how, but we need someone who has played extensively at the position, knows it, understands the lanes, and who, through carrying or delivering bigtime hits, we can rely on to get us a couple of yards or even a couple of inches when we utterly need it. That last point is something we've lacked since Carwell Gardner or Sam Gash.