I'm confused about the Pat* and Spygate

From the Sept 14, 2007 NY Times:

The National Football League fined New England Patriots Coach Bill Belichick $500,000 yesterday, and the team will forfeit its first-round draft pick in 2008 if it makes the playoffs, for violating league rules Sunday when a Patriots staff member was discovered videotaping signals by Jets coaches during the season opener at the Meadowlands.

ESPN article on Apr 24, 2008:

Goodell said Thursday he has no idea what Walsh, who spent six years as a New England employee, has to offer than what the league already knows: Belichick had been taping defensive signals since first becoming Patriots coach in 2000. He noted, however, that the league, which destroyed the tapes from the Jets game after reviewing them, had spoken to 50 people in connection with the case and that Walsh was the only one who asked for legal protection.

So, the penalties were imposed for getting caught videotaping the Jets game. The Pats* surrendered tapes from the Jets game and I thought a couple of others which were subsequently destroyed.

Yesterday, Goodell stated that the league already knows that Belicheat has been taping defensive signals since becoming the Pats* coach since 2000. Has the league previously admitted that the cheating has been going on from 2000? If the league was aware that Bellicheat has been taping signals since 2000, why did they only penalize them for the one time that they were caught?

If the league was aware that Bellicheat has been taping signals since 2000, why did they only penalize them for the one time that they were caught?

It does seem the forfeiture of a first round pick for each instance would be more appropriate.

From the Sept 14, 2007 NY Times:

ESPN article on Apr 24, 2008:

So, the penalties were imposed for getting caught videotaping the Jets game. The Pats* surrendered tapes from the Jets game and I thought a couple of others which were subsequently destroyed.

Yesterday, Goodell stated that the league already knows that Belicheat has been taping defensive signals since becoming the Pats* coach since 2000. Has the league previously admitted that the cheating has been going on from 2000? If the league was aware that Bellicheat has been taping signals since 2000, why did they only penalize them for the one time that they were caught?

Belichick has been taping defensive signals since he was the Browns coach. I watched a show on NFL Network the other day where they showed coaches from the early '90's openly talking about the other team videotaping their signals.

check out my post from another thread.

I have no proof, but I think what is happening is that the rule as stated in the NFL manual is ambiguous and in September 2007, the NFL's Executive VP of Football Operations sent out a memo referencing the rule, clearly stating that taping signals on the sidelines was illegal.

So, they're giving Belicheat the benefit of the doubt prior to last year and hanging him on the fact that he got caught cheating after the memo came out clarifying the rule.

check out my post from another thread.

I have no proof, but I think what is happening is that the rule as stated in the NFL manual is ambiguous and in September 2007, the NFL's Executive VP of Football Operations sent out a memo referencing the rule, clearly stating that taping signals on the sidelines was illegal.

So, they're giving Belicheat the benefit of the doubt prior to last year and hanging him on the fact that he got caught cheating after the memo came out clarifying the rule.

You know what's funny about all of this?

Mangini.

Assume it's common knowledge amongst Pats* coaches that they're taping defensive signals, even though they were told to stop. Mangini splits from that camp, starts his own career as HC, and flat out betrays Bellich*at with something that he most definitely knew to look for. All these years they've been cheating, and no one notices a thing. One unhappy guy splits away, and suddenly it's "Hey, look what I saw."

But no one talks about Mangini. Ever. I mean, ever.

Still, watching two divisional rivals get stupid with each other to this extent is fun. The only thing that could make this more fun is if somehow, when it's all over, Miami ends up with the loss.

You know what's funny about all of this?

Mangini.

Assume it's common knowledge amongst Pats* coaches that they're taping defensive signals, even though they were told to stop. Mangini splits from that camp, starts his own career as HC, and flat out betrays Bellich*at with something that he most definitely knew to look for. All these years they've been cheating, and no one notices a thing. One unhappy guy splits away, and suddenly it's "Hey, look what I saw."

But no one talks about Mangini. Ever. I mean, ever.

Still, watching two divisional rivals get stupid with each other to this extent is fun. The only thing that could make this more fun is if somehow, when it's all over, Miami ends up with the loss.

you're absolutely right, Mangini stuck it to him. I don't know all the dirt, but I remember clearly at the end of their first series, Belicheat won the game 38-14 and barely shook hands with Mangini, like a stuck up distard. Maybe that set Mangini off, but it was obvious Mr Social Skills was miffed about something.

I'm also surprised Mangini didn't slip Belicheat false signals to confuse him.