do we want Marcus Spears?

freester

I think Spencer Johnson will fill the swing DT and DE spot .. rotating at the 3 and at RE in run situations to give Schobel a break. That limits the need for Spears. What we really need is just a pure pass rushing End. A guy with 4.7 or better speed -- somewhere in the range of 255-270 lbs..who can deliver a few sacks and lots of hurries.

I think Spencer Johnson will fill the swing DT and DE spot .. rotating at the 3 and at RE in run situations to give Schobel a break. That limits the need for Spears. What we really need is just a pure pass rushing End. A guy with 4.7 or better speed -- somewhere in the range of 255-270 lbs..who can deliver a few sacks and lots of hurries.

I like the cut of your jib, sir.

Doesn't every team in the NFL need one of those??? :lol:

How about for JP?? Wasnt that effectively the deal to begin with?

Good call, of course, they have no use for him.

Also, did the cowboys trade up to grab spears? or did they stand pat and wait for him?

Spears was a beast in college and looked good coming out. Doesn't really fit into our scheme except as an end on run downs and potential tackle on passing downs, as another poster pointed out Spencer Johnson already is filling that role. Of course as the giants proved you can never have too many defensive lineman and a 5th rounder is a small price to pay.

Because after three seasons in the NFL he has 4.5 sacks.

He makes Kelsay look like a dynamic pass rusher!

I remember all the analysts saying how great of a player he was going to be and how big of an impact he would have on dallas's D haha, just goes to show the draft is a crapshoot :lol:

We need more than the 7 D lineman that we currently have. We have 2 rushing ends in Schoebel and Kelsay. We need an end that can stop the run as well.

Close. The exact trade turned out to be-

Buffalo received: Losman

Dallas received: Spears, DE, Julius Jones, RB and Sean Ryan, TE

I guess that trade didn't really work out for dallas in the end either since they want to trade spears and jones is in SEA.