The Candidates and their positions on Space Exploration

Onward and upward, lest you turn inward and stagnate. It is the story of civilization.

Personally, Mars would not be my first choice either - I think the priority should be a permanent presence in space with self-sustainability a serious objective. But inspiration only is enough to justify.

How do you feel about the moon landings? Do you think we would have been better off had that money been added to Johnsons War on Poverty or turned into tax cuts? Or would we be just where we are today but without the memories?

Consider the pryamids. Do you think they should not have been built? Would giving the workers all that time off as a holidy have been better than the thousands of years we have gained in which millions have been enspired, from the school child in China to the archeologist in Germany, to the Egyption on the street who can look on his history with pride? And what about Michaelangelo's Sistene Chapel? Should the Pope have taken the money and spent it instead on opening up on yet another church serving the poor?

I have to admit I'm never looked at it from that angle before. All I'll say at this point is that I would much rather spend our resources on things that are beneficial to mankind than on all that money we pour down the military hole right now. As I said before, I'm all for research and development, but we disagree on where the funding should go. You hear people say, "That guy is smart enough to come up with a cure for cancer." That's inspirational. I'm kind of for spending on making the planet better because there are so many problems down here. That doesn't mean I'd axe NASA, far from it, but I'd probably give it less priority than you and others do.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You hear people say, "That guy is smart enough to come up with a cure for cancer." That's inspirational.

But is it really? How many pioneers of medicine can you name without looking them up? The first open-heart surgeon, or brain surgeon? I think people quickly forget them and move on. A new cure doesn't change the way that we look at the world, and that - ultimately - is what it's all about.

The first airplane flew in 1903. Planes would remain a toy of the rich for the next 30 years.

In 1906 the first immunization for Tuberculsis, or 'consumption,' was developed. At that time it was endemic among the poor, responsible for about one death in 5. Within 20 years serious inroads in prevention had been made around the world.

I'm willing to bet that you know the guys who flew, but have never heard of the pioneers of Tuberculsis. For that matter, I bet you don't know the first open-heart surgeon, or the discoverers of lupus or malaria , but can still name several astronauts, and an early astronomer or two.

You hear people say, "That guy is smart enough to come up with a cure for cancer." That's inspirational.

I had typed up a long reply but decided it wasn't worth it.

This is better... :thumbsup:

ok, Mr. moved by Inspiration...why aren't you working towards a cure for cancer?

I had typed up a long reply but decided it wasn't worth it.

This is better... :thumbsup:

ok, Mr. moved by Inspiration...why aren't you working towards a cure for cancer?

This thread went off track in my opinion. I wasn't arguing we should do it inspiration, I thought Finkle was. Maybe I misinterpreted him or something. I'm done with this thread