If Bills going for value over needs...

NO WAY. Gholston is not a value. He is overrated due to his "Mamula" combine numbers. A lot of NFL personnel have him rated as a second round talent.

Well...Granted Gholston's workout numbers are off the charts...Gholston has always been considered a 1st round Prospect and entered the Combine as a potential Top 10 Pick...I'm not sure who the Scouts are you're refering too, but I follow the Draft pretty closely and I've never heard anyone refer to Gholston as a 2nd Round talent...As a Michigan Fan I can tell you that when properly motivated that Kid is an absolute beast on the Football Field... He can single handedly take over a Game...He has that type of talent...He made the OT that is rumored to be the #1 Overall Pick in this Draft look VERY average at times...So the comparisons to Mamula, a guy who was not even considered a 1st Round Prospect before his Workouts, are WAY off IMHO... ;)

I sort of been saying that for Devin Thomas. He's the only WR out of Hardy, Sweed, and Kelly that have played fully in cold weather.

what cold weather?

less than 50 degrees?

you do realize that Michigan played its last 2007 regular season game on Nov 22?

This cold weather experience argument is pure non-sense.

A well-run team will learn from the past. Bad teams dismiss the past as "the magical land called Retrospect."

Sure, but by that same argument some team could've traded their entire draft for Mike Williams, who was taken as a #4 overall to much backslapping, circle jerking, and high praise at the time.

Hell, some team might trade their entire draft for a sure-fire stud named Ricky "Doobie" Williams, for that matter.

Sure, but by that same argument some team could've traded their entire draft for Mike Williams, who was taken as a #4 overall to much backslapping, circle jerking, and high praise at the time.

Very true. One of the most important aspects to being a good general manager is knowing how much to trust your own evaluations. Maybe Mike Williams appears near the top of your draft board. But how sure are you that this guy will really pan out? Are you as sure about this guy as you were when Orlando Pace declared for the draft, and you had him pegged as a franchise LT? Or is there more doubt associated with your Mike Williams grade than there'd been with your Orlando Pace grade?

Figuring this stuff out is why GMs get paid the big bucks. Hopefully, all the effort they put in will cause them to trade up for an Orlando Pace, but not a Mike Williams.

Hell, some team might trade their entire draft for a sure-fire stud named Ricky "Doobie" Williams, for that matter.

It's funny you should mention that. It reminds me of an article I read about the Ricky Williams trade. According to the article, the actual players Washington ended up with, collectively, were less useful to it than Ricky Williams was to the Saints. That really took me by surprise, because at the time I just sort of assumed it was an example of Mike Ditka making a stupid trade.

Very true. One of the most important aspects to being a good general manager is knowing how much to trust your own evaluations. Maybe Mike Williams appears near the top of your draft board. But how sure are you that this guy will really pan out? Are you as sure about this guy as you were when Orlando Pace declared for the draft, and you had him pegged as a franchise LT? Or is there more doubt associated with your Mike Williams grade than there'd been with your Orlando Pace grade?

Figuring this stuff out is why GMs get paid the big bucks. Hopefully, all the effort they put in will cause them to trade up for an Orlando Pace, but not a Mike Williams.

I think it's a lot like anything else. There is a lot of sales hype that is flying around and people can and will suspend their disbelief to be part of the crowd. Hey, it worked for pet rocks. Anyway, the same thing goes on draft day. There is no player that, if nitpicked enough, doesn't have some sort of blemish and, likewise, there are a lot of excellent football players to choose from with their various upsides. Sometimes, things just go horribly wrong. But, we're Bills fans so we're experts on that. :thumbsup:

It's funny you should mention that. It reminds me of an article I read about the Ricky Williams trade. According to the article, the actual players Washington ended up with, collectively, were less useful to it than Ricky Williams was to the Saints. That really took me by surprise, because at the time I just sort of assumed it was an example of Mike Ditka making a stupid trade.

Williams, if one can separate the mental/emotional/personal issues, was a great RB. So much so, that he is still in the NFL despite all his trials and might actually still be a contributor. I wouldn't call it a great trade though; because, in the end, one cannot separate the player from the person and Williams decided to squander many of his productive years and cause more disruption than production.

I think it's a lot like anything else. There is a lot of sales hype that is flying around and people can and will suspend their disbelief to be part of the crowd. Hey, it worked for pet rocks. Anyway, the same thing goes on draft day. There is no player that, if nitpicked enough, doesn't have some sort of blemish and, likewise, there are a lot of excellent football players to choose from with their various upsides. Sometimes, things just go horribly wrong. But, we're Bills fans so we're experts on that. :thumbsup:

You're right: it's possible to analyze a player to death; and to magnify every little thing into something significant. I remember when Eric Mould's decision to buy pizza for his team got turned into a big thing prior to the draft.

Williams, if one can separate the mental/emotional/personal issues, was a great RB. So much so, that he is still in the NFL despite all his trials and might actually still be a contributor. I wouldn't call it a great trade though; because, in the end, one cannot separate the player from the person and Williams decided to squander many of his productive years and cause more disruption than production.

I wouldn't call it a great trade either, because of the mental issues you touched upon. But it still worked out better for New Orleans than Washington!