New twist on WR need...

keithg

Nobody has mentioned this guy as a possibility to improve to the point where he may help on the field as a #2 WR. I feel like the Bills see him as a replacement for Sam Aiken as JJ showed he could handle ST play very well last year, BUT, who's to say that he couldn't actually be BETTER than Aiken as a WR. The guy has good size(like Moulds size) and maybe we get lucky and he turns out to be a diamond in the rough.

I am certainly not saying we should count on that happening and I feel strongly we should draft a WR in either Rd 1 or Rd 2, but I am curious why nobody is talking about this kid.

Any thoughts either way?

Jenkins is actually smaller than Moulds by a bit. He's not going to be what we're looking for, as far as a bigger target for the red zone. However, I think he's going to shine as ST'er this year. He just has a knack for that.

True, but at least he's 6 feet tall and over 200 lbs...certainly decent size, he's no smurf like Roscoe. I just wonder what his background in college was and if he has a legit shot at being a good pro WR.

True, but at least he's 6 feet tall and over 200 lbs...certainly decent size, he's no smurf like Roscoe. I just wonder what his background in college was and if he has a legit shot at being a good pro WR.

It would be really sweet if the Bills got lucky and had a Colston type situation where a guy nobody has heard of has a monster year. We need another great draft and a little luck and LESS injuries next year to make the playoffs

I don't see Jenkins as a wide receiver. Just because he is listed there on the depth chart, it doesn't mean he'll be given any chances to prove himself on offense. We are better off if he focuses specifically on Special Teams. We need guys to step up on ST without Stamer and Wire.

Nobody has mentioned this guy as a possibility to improve to the point where he may help on the field as a #2 WR. I feel like the Bills see him as a replacement for Sam Aiken as JJ showed he could handle ST play very well last year, BUT, who's to say that he couldn't actually be BETTER than Aiken as a WR. The guy has good size(like Moulds size) and maybe we get lucky and he turns out to be a diamond in the rough.

I am certainly not saying we should count on that happening and I feel strongly we should draft a WR in either Rd 1 or Rd 2, but I am curious why nobody is talking about this kid.

Any thoughts either way?

Excitement about Jenkins?

Are you being serious?

He came out of college the same year as Lee Evans and to this point in his career

has 0 receptions for 0 yards and 0 touchdowns.

Maybe thats why its a bit hush, hush in regards to this kid.

From the Bills official site;

Justin Jenkins

17 Wide Receiver

Height: 6-0

Weight: 207

College: Mississippi State

Years in NFL: 2

How Acquired: Free Agent '07

Birthdate: 12/10/1980

PRO: Signed to Bills’ 53-man roster on Oct. 20, 2007… Signed by Bills on June 29, 2007, released following training camp and signed to practice squad on Sept. 2, 2007… Spent the 2007 NFL Europa season with the World Bowl champions Hamburg Sea Devils…caught seven passes for 74 yards and touchdown in the World Bowl victory over the Frankfurt Galaxy…caught 39 receptions (team lead) for 583 yards and two touchdowns…had a league season high on April 28 vs. the Galaxy with seven catches for 136 yards…entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent with the Philadelphia Eagles in 2004…missed the entire 2005 season due to injury…released by the Eagles in 2006...drafted by Hamburg in the 17th round of the 2007 NFL Europa Free Agent Draft.

2007: Finished with eight special teams tackles in 11 games played… Spent first five games on the team’s practice squad before being promoted to the active roster… Played an integral role on the special teams’ unit … helped the punt coverage unit lead the NFL with a 5.3 yard punt return average… Made NFL debut vs. Bal (10/21)… At Mia (11/11), he saved a punt from going into the end zone and the ball was downed by rookie John Wendling on the two-yard line. Three plays later DE Chris Kelsay sacked Cleo Lemon for a safety and cut Miami’s lead to 3-2.

Linkage

From SI 2004 draft

JUSTIN JENKINS

Justin Jenkins - WR Position: WR

Class: Sr

School: Mississippi St.

Conference: SEC

Ht., Wt.: 5'11½, 213

40 Time: 4.63

Grade: 3.5

BIO: Led the team in receiving as a senior with 62/880/9. Started 10 games as a junior posting 28/273/0 after a breakout campaign the prior year when he registered 42/661/8.

POSITIVES: Nice-sized wide out that's flashed skill and productivity in the past. Quickly releases off the, finds the open area in the defense and comes back to the quarterback, working to make himself an available target. Has a strong, compact build and uses his frame to shield opponents from the action, then gets vertical in a crowd and comes away with the reception. Tracks the deep ball and looks the pass into his hands. Effective blocking for the running game. Solid route runner that gets separation from defenders.

NEGATIVES: Inconsistent throughout college and does not stay focused. Goes over the middle but struggles locating the ball in traffic.

ANALYSIS: A physically gifted pass-catcher with good football intelligence, Jenkins is applauded for his work ethic and competitiveness. Suffered from poor quarterback play in college but if put in the proper situation, he should develop into a fine NFL receiver.

PROJECTION: Mid Fourth Round

Linkage