Internet Providers

Buffan00

Im moving (again!) and thought about saving a few bucks this time around and changing from Cable to Net Zero..anybody have any experience with them? Will I still be able to listen to music, play games etc.? Thanks in advance.. :devil:

Im moving (again!) and thought about saving a few bucks this time around and changing from Cable to Net Zero..anybody have any experience with them? Will I still be able to listen to music, play games etc.? Thanks in advance.. :devil:

Isn't NetZero dialup....?

If you use their DSL service instead, I'm guessing you can get better service from a local ISP. You still need the DSL circuit from the phone company, but they don't really tell you that you can use anyone you want (that supports it...) as your ISP. For people in the Twin Cities with DSL, you should switch to Visi.com. Best company, bar none. For other areas, talk to your IT department and see what the techs there use for DSL.

CW

Net Zero is a dial-up service, and not a particularly good one, at that. They have "accelerated" dial-up (which they call "high speed"), but it is nothing like broadband (DSL or Cable). You can pretty much forget about downloading music and/or playing most games, if you go that route. You'd be a fool to go from cable to dial-up, IMO.

Now, if you need to save some $$, you might be able to get a good DSL deal from BellSouth (AT&T now) or Verizon. When I lived in SF, I got DSL Lite for, I think, $12.95 a month. I have seen them advertise for $14.95, but it isn't available in every area. Still, at worst you should be able to get DSL for about $20/month. Now, at that level of DSL, you will notice a difference from Cable when you are streaming or downloading, as it is quite a bit slower...but, you can still do most (if not all) of the things you are now used to doing on the Web. Of course, for more money, you can get higher levels of DSL that are very fast...but, that defeats your stated purpose, saving money.

Got Bell South DSL, and it's pretty damn good. Never had a connection problem or anything in the couple years I've been using. Had Vonage for a while and it was crap. The price wasn't bad but my service would go out to often. The phone service wasn't bad but just like the internet, went out to often to keep me satisfied. Bell South was just about as good as having Road Runner if not better. And since I've never used Net Zero, I would have to recommend Bell South. If you have Time Warner Cable in your area, check out the prices for Road Runner if you are looking to bundle.