A Bye Week breakdown

I broke it down by who will play the most teams after their opponents bye week and whether the game is at home or on the road:

Steelers (4) three on the road, one at home

49ers (2) two on the road

Falcons (2) one at home, one on the road

Bills

Panthers

Saints

Buccaneers

Chiefs (2) two at home

Ravens (1) on the road

Cowboys

Lions

Packers

Texans

Bears (1) at home

Browns

Broncos

Jaguars

Jets

Raiders

Eagles

Chargers

Rams

Off the hook

Cardinals

Bengals

Colts

Dolphins

Vikings

Patriots

Giants

Titans

Redskins

One of those games for Pittsburgh they also have the previous week off, so I'm not sure you can count that as a disadvantage.

For the Bills the games are against division rivals (Miami and New England) and are in consecutive weeks. I think division games are too important for this to be scheduled randomly, especially if random means we "always" get New England after their bye when we play the week before.

interesting.

i wonder if they factor this in at all when they're making the schedules or if they just don't consider it big enough of a factor to try to work around.

good post.

Thank you.

Since I've been doing this it seems the Cards and Pats never play teams coming off their bye

I did a little more bye week breakdown over the last 5 years. I also listed every teams record coming off their bye week for the last 5 years, with Baltimore and Philadelphia being the only teams that have won coming off their bye each of the last 5 years. I tried to notice some trends as i was looking through each team during that time period, and it was actually pretty consistent in that bad teams lost more often and good team won more often (huge surprise), and it also seemed like a team that was streaking was pretty likely to have the streak carry over the bye, whether the streak be wins or losses. Also, the same amount of teams were above and below .500 for this stat over the last 5 years.

Overall, it doesn't seem like coming off the bye week is that huge of an advantage afterall, it seems more like it depends on what team you're playing. Unfortunately for us, we keep having to play New England after the bye, whom we would probably lose to anyway, so once again, the bye week advantage might be somewhat of a farce.

Teams coming off bye week: 86-74 53.7% winning percentage

5-0- 2

4-1- 7

3-2- 7

2-3- 11

1-4- 5

ARIZONA 4-1

ATLANTA 2-3

BALTIMORE 5-0

BUFFALO 2-3

CAROLINA 3-2

CHICAGO 1-4

CINCINNATI 1-4

CLEVELAND 2-3

DALLAS 3-2

DENVER 4-1

DETROIT 2-3

GREEN BAY 4-1

HOUSTON 1-4

INDIANAPOLIS 4-1

JACKSONVILLE 2-3

KANSAS CITY 3-2

MIAMI 2-3

MINNESOTA 4-1

NEW ENGLAND 4-1

NEW ORLEANS 2-3

NY GIANTS 1-4

NY JETS 4-1

OAKLAND 1-4

PHILADELPHIA 5-0

PITTSBURGH 3-2

SAN DIEGO 3-2

SAN FRANCISCO 2-3

SEATTLE 2-3

ST. LOUIS 2-3

TAMPA BAY 2-3

TENNESSEE 3-2

WASHINGTON 3-2

What I'd like to see is how often a team has had to play other team's coming off their bye the last 4-5 years, as I seem to recall us getting reamed every year in that regard. Wasn't it a couple of years ago that we had something like 4 or 5 games like this (so, I'm exaggerating, but it was at least 3, when statistically it should be 1)? How does that not get evened out over time?

Once again, not surprised to see the Patsies "luck out" in this matter--how is it they always catch us off a bye and yet this year don't play anyone coming off a bye? I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we find out 10 or 20 years from now that there was something fishy going on between Boston and Park Avenue.....

I did a little more bye week breakdown over the last 5 years. I also listed every teams record coming off their bye week for the last 5 years, with Baltimore and Philadelphia being the only teams that have won coming off their bye each of the last 5 years. I tried to notice some trends as i was looking through each team during that time period, and it was actually pretty consistent in that bad teams lost more often and good team won more often (huge surprise), and it also seemed like a team that was streaking was pretty likely to have the streak carry over the bye, whether the streak be wins or losses. Also, the same amount of teams were above and below .500 for this stat over the last 5 years.

Overall, it doesn't seem like coming off the bye week is that huge of an advantage afterall, it seems more like it depends on what team you're playing. Unfortunately for us, we keep having to play New England after the bye, whom we would probably lose to anyway, so once again, the bye week advantage might be somewhat of a farce.

5-0- 2

4-1- 7

3-2- 7

2-3- 11

1-4- 5

ARIZONA 4-1

ATLANTA 2-3

BALTIMORE 5-0

BUFFALO 2-3

CAROLINA 3-2

CHICAGO 1-4

CINCINNATI 1-4

CLEVELAND 2-3

DALLAS 3-2

DENVER 4-1

DETROIT 2-3

GREEN BAY 4-1

HOUSTON 1-4

INDIANAPOLIS 4-1

JACKSONVILLE 2-3

KANSAS CITY 3-2

MIAMI 2-3

MINNESOTA 4-1

NEW ENGLAND 4-1

NEW ORLEANS 2-3

NY GIANTS 1-4

NY JETS 4-1

OAKLAND 1-4

PHILADELPHIA 5-0

PITTSBURGH 3-2

SAN DIEGO 3-2

SAN FRANCISCO 2-3

SEATTLE 2-3

ST. LOUIS 2-3

TAMPA BAY 2-3

TENNESSEE 3-2

WASHINGTON 3-2

Interesting. I remember Stats Inc did a big write-up like 8-9 years ago that indicated around a 10% swing I believe. Of course thats still a 7.4% swing and it of course favors the teams who prepare better for every game and not just the bye weeks. Thanks for the stats though.

What I'd like to see is how often a team has had to play other team's coming off their bye the last 4-5 years, as I seem to recall us getting reamed every year in that regard. Wasn't it a couple of years ago that we had something like 4 or 5 games like this (so, I'm exaggerating, but it was at least 3, when statistically it should be 1)? How does that not get evened out over time?

Once again, not surprised to see the Patsies "luck out" in this matter--how is it they always catch us off a bye and yet this year don't play anyone coming off a bye? I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we find out 10 or 20 years from now that there was something fishy going on between Boston and Park Avenue.....

Matt-

I'll do some more research on the topic tomorrow, I've got the week off from school. But for now, it's party time!

5-0- 2

4-1- 7

3-2- 7

2-3- 11

1-4- 5

ARIZONA 4-1

ATLANTA 2-3

BALTIMORE 5-0

BUFFALO 2-3

CAROLINA 3-2

CHICAGO 1-4

CINCINNATI 1-4

CLEVELAND 2-3

DALLAS 3-2

DENVER 4-1

DETROIT 2-3

GREEN BAY 4-1

HOUSTON 1-4

INDIANAPOLIS 4-1

JACKSONVILLE 2-3

KANSAS CITY 3-2

MIAMI 2-3

MINNESOTA 4-1

NEW ENGLAND 4-1

NEW ORLEANS 2-3

NY GIANTS 1-4

NY JETS 4-1

OAKLAND 1-4

PHILADELPHIA 5-0

PITTSBURGH 3-2

SAN DIEGO 3-2

SAN FRANCISCO 2-3

SEATTLE 2-3

ST. LOUIS 2-3

TAMPA BAY 2-3

TENNESSEE 3-2

WASHINGTON 3-2

Very good breakdown

Here's some more numbers for you Matt:

This is the numbers for the last 5 years, once again. I've listed each team, and their record against teams coming off their bye week, as well as the teams they played. The numbers on the far right are the number of games against teams in the same division, same conference (out of division) and out of conference, and the total number of games in each catergory is at the bottom of those columns. I also listed the number of games teams have played against teams coming off their bye week and which teams they were at the very bottom.

You'll notice that the Bills, Cowboys and Chargers have had the duty of playing teams coming off byes the most, (9 times each!) with the Bills by far having the worst record at 2-7, while DAL and SD both were 6-3 in those games. Some things I noticed were that the Bills have played more teams coming off their bye in the division than anyone else (not to mention 2 more added on to that total this year), and other than Minnesota, we've played at least 2 more of those games than all other teams in the league. Minnesota was the only team other than us that had to play one team after their bye 3 consecutive years, and only Atlanta had to play Carolina two years in a row. That seems very strange, since we're now going to be playing NE after their bye for the fourth straight year. Another strange thing was that Pittsburgh has only had to play a team coming off their bye once in the last 5 years. What is up with that? Of course, in the original post ESPeculatioN pointed out that Pittsburgh has to play teams coming off their bye 4 times in 2007. I also tallied up the number of times teams in both conferences had to play teams coming off their bye and for that stat it was dead even, 80 per league. Tell me what you think...

Teams playing teams coming off their bye week:

Arizona 0-3 bal, sea, stl 2d 0c 1oc

Atlanta 1-5 car, car, det, det, no, stl 3d 3c

Baltimore 3-2 cin, cle, den, no, sd 2d 2c 1oc

Buffalo 2-7 bal, hou, mia, ne, ne, ne, nyj, phi, sd 5d 3c 1oc

Carolina 0-3 no, phi, tb 2d 1c

Chicago 4-1 mia, min, sf, sf, ten 1d 2c 2 oc

Cincinnati 1-4 cle, cle, hou, ind, ten 2d 3c

Cleveland 3-3 chi, cin, kc, oak, pit, sd 2d 3c 1oc

Dallas 6-3 ari, ari, buf, det, hou, ne, nyg, was, was 3d 3c 3oc

Denver 0-3 bal, min, ne 0d 2c 1oc

Detroit 3-2 chi, jac, min, nyg, oak 2d 1c 2oc

Green Bay 4-1 buf, chi, mia, sea, was 1d 1c 3oc

Houston 1-3 ind, jac, min, ten 3d 0c 1oc

Indianapolis 3-0 cin, dal, tb 0d 1c 2oc

Jacksonville 3-1 hou, ind, kc, ten 3d 1c

Kansas City 3-2 buf, buf, cle, cle, tb 0d 4c 1oc

Miami 1-5 atl, gb, gb, nyg, nyj, ten 1d 1c 4oc

Minnesota 2-4 car, det, gb, gb, gb, nyj 4d 1c 1oc

New England 3-3 buf, ind, no, nyj, pit, stl 2d 2c 2oc

New Orleans 2-2 bal, car, den, tb 2d 0c 2oc

NY Giants 2-1 atl, dal, mia 1d 1c 1oc

NY Jets 1-3 bal, dal, jac, sd 0d 3c 1oc

Oakland 1-2 den, den, sd 3d

Philadelphia 2-1 atl, dal, nyg 2d 1c

Pittsburgh 0-1 sf 0d 0c 1oc

San Diego 6-3 den, no, nyj, oak, oak, phi, pit, pit, stl 3d 3c 3oc

San Francisco 3-3 ari, chi, kc, kc, sea, tb 2d 2c 2oc

Seattle 2-3 ari, mia, min, stl, was 2d 2c 1oc

St. Louis 3-2 jac, pit, sf, sea, sea 3d 0c 2oc

Tampa Bay 3-3 atl, atl, car, cin, det, phi, 3d 2c 1oc

Tennessee 3-4 ari, cin, dal, hou, jac, oak, was 2d 2c 3oc

Washington 2-4 chi, ind, kc, nyg, phi, sf 2d 2c 2oc

63 52 45

9 Buffalo, Dallas, San Diego

7 Tennessee

6 Atlanta, Cleveland, Miami, Minnesota, New England, San Francisco, Tampa Bay, Washington

5 Baltimore, Chicago, Cincinnati, Detroit, Green Bay, Kansas City, Seattle, St. Louis

4 Houston, Jacksonville, New Orleans, NY Jets

3 Arizona, Carolina, Denver, Indianapolis, NY Giants, Oakland, Philadelphia

1 Pittsburgh

Here's some more numbers for you Matt:

This is the numbers for the last 5 years, once again. I've listed each team, and their record against teams coming off their bye week, as well as the teams they played. The numbers on the far right are the number of games against teams in the same division, same conference (out of division) and out of conference, and the total number of games in each catergory is at the bottom of those columns. I also listed the number of games teams have played against teams coming off their bye week and which teams they were at the very bottom.

You'll notice that the Bills, Cowboys and Chargers have had the duty of playing teams coming off byes the most, (9 times each!) with the Bills by far having the worst record at 2-7, while DAL and SD both were 6-3 in those games. Some things I noticed were that the Bills have played more teams coming off their bye in the division than anyone else (not to mention 2 more added on to that total this year), and other than Minnesota, we've played at least 2 more of those games than all other teams in the league. Minnesota was the only team other than us that had to play one team after their bye 3 consecutive years, and only Atlanta had to play Carolina two years in a row. That seems very strange, since we're now going to be playing NE after their bye for the fourth straight year. Another strange thing was that Pittsburgh has only had to play a team coming off their bye once in the last 5 years. What is up with that? Of course, in the original post ESPeculatioN pointed out that Pittsburgh has to play teams coming off their bye 4 times in 2007. I also tallied up the number of times teams in both conferences had to play teams coming off their bye and for that stat it was dead even, 80 per league. Tell me what you think...

Teams playing teams coming off their bye week:

Arizona 0-3 bal, sea, stl 2d 0c 1oc

Atlanta 1-5 car, car, det, det, no, stl 3d 3c

Baltimore 3-2 cin, cle, den, no, sd 2d 2c 1oc

Buffalo 2-7 bal, hou, mia, ne, ne, ne, nyj, phi, sd 5d 3c 1oc

Carolina 0-3 no, phi, tb 2d 1c

Chicago 4-1 mia, min, sf, sf, ten 1d 2c 2 oc

Cincinnati 1-4 cle, cle, hou, ind, ten 2d 3c

Cleveland 3-3 chi, cin, kc, oak, pit, sd 2d 3c 1oc

Dallas 6-3 ari, ari, buf, det, hou, ne, nyg, was, was 3d 3c 3oc

Denver 0-3 bal, min, ne 0d 2c 1oc

Detroit 3-2 chi, jac, min, nyg, oak 2d 1c 2oc

Green Bay 4-1 buf, chi, mia, sea, was 1d 1c 3oc

Houston 1-3 ind, jac, min, ten 3d 0c 1oc

Indianapolis 3-0 cin, dal, tb 0d 1c 2oc

Jacksonville 3-1 hou, ind, kc, ten 3d 1c

Kansas City 3-2 buf, buf, cle, cle, tb 0d 4c 1oc

Miami 1-5 atl, gb, gb, nyg, nyj, ten 1d 1c 4oc

Minnesota 2-4 car, det, gb, gb, gb, nyj 4d 1c 1oc

New England 3-3 buf, ind, no, nyj, pit, stl 2d 2c 2oc

New Orleans 2-2 bal, car, den, tb 2d 0c 2oc

NY Giants 2-1 atl, dal, mia 1d 1c 1oc

NY Jets 1-3 bal, dal, jac, sd 0d 3c 1oc

Oakland 1-2 den, den, sd 3d

Philadelphia 2-1 atl, dal, nyg 2d 1c

Pittsburgh 0-1 sf 0d 0c 1oc

San Diego 6-3 den, no, nyj, oak, oak, phi, pit, pit, stl 3d 3c 3oc

San Francisco 3-3 ari, chi, kc, kc, sea, tb 2d 2c 2oc

Seattle 2-3 ari, mia, min, stl, was 2d 2c 1oc

St. Louis 3-2 jac, pit, sf, sea, sea 3d 0c 2oc

Tampa Bay 3-3 atl, atl, car, cin, det, phi, 3d 2c 1oc

Tennessee 3-4 ari, cin, dal, hou, jac, oak, was 2d 2c 3oc

Washington 2-4 chi, ind, kc, nyg, phi, sf 2d 2c 2oc

63 52 45

9 Buffalo, Dallas, San Diego

7 Tennessee

6 Atlanta, Cleveland, Miami, Minnesota, New England, San Francisco, Tampa Bay, Washington

5 Baltimore, Chicago, Cincinnati, Detroit, Green Bay, Kansas City, Seattle, St. Louis

4 Houston, Jacksonville, New Orleans, NY Jets

3 Arizona, Carolina, Denver, Indianapolis, NY Giants, Oakland, Philadelphia

1 Pittsburgh

That's great work, dude. Many, many thanks for pulling all this together. It confirmed one thing that I suspected, namely that we have really gotten hosed in this regard. I'm surprised that the Patsies have gotten stuck 6 times in the past--maybe the "love" from Park Ave. wasn't so strong a few years ago. Only half jokingly, you ought to consider sending this to Marv and the staff, as they may want to gently remind the League office of this for the 2008 schedule somehow, since I suspect we will be alone at the top after 2007, since we have two more this year.....

sorry, i had the post all layed out in nice columns so it was easier to read, but for whatever reason all the spaces in between them all get pushed all the way over to the left. any way to fix it?

Great work!

I've had that happen to me too, and I don't think there's an easy way to preserve the formatting. You could enter the spaces manually and use Courier font (all characters are the same width), or post the table elsewhere and put a link here. What you did is good enough for anyone who's interested.

Thanks!

That's great work, dude. Many, many thanks for pulling all this together. It confirmed one thing that I suspected, namely that we have really gotten hosed in this regard. I'm surprised that the Patsies have gotten stuck 6 times in the past--maybe the "love" from Park Ave. wasn't so strong a few years ago. Only half jokingly, you ought to consider sending this to Marv and the staff, as they may want to gently remind the League office of this for the 2008 schedule somehow, since I suspect we will be alone at the top after 2007, since we have two more this year.....

You are indeed correct sir, and not only will Buffalo lead this catergory, we will also have played 7 divisional opponents coming off their bye in 6 years. The next closest team is at 4! Here's how it will stand after 2007 for a combined 6 years:

Number of games/teams

11-Buffalo

10-Dallas, San Diego

8-Atlanta, Tampa Bay

7-Tennessee, Cleveland, San Francisco

6-Miami, Minnesota, New England, Washington, Baltimore, Chicago, Detroit, Green Bay, Kansas City, St. Louis, New Orleans

5-Seattle, Houston, Jacksonville, NY Jets, Denver, Pittsburgh

4-Carolina, Indianapolis, NY Giants, Oakland, Philadelphia

3-Arizona

You are indeed correct sir, and not only will Buffalo lead this catergory, we will also have played 7 divisional opponents coming off their bye in 6 years. The next closest team is at 4! Here's how it will stand after 2007 for a combined 6 years:

Number of games/teams

11-Buffalo

10-Dallas, San Diego

8-Atlanta, Tampa Bay

7-Tennessee, Cleveland, San Francisco

6-Miami, Minnesota, New England, Washington, Baltimore, Chicago, Detroit, Green Bay, Kansas City, St. Louis, New Orleans

5-Seattle, Houston, Jacksonville, NY Jets, Denver, Pittsburgh

4-Carolina, Indianapolis, NY Giants, Oakland, Philadelphia

3-Arizona

Gee, there is no bias against the bills--most games after byes, toughest schedule last two years, constant media criticism...yeah, we're paranoid despite the evidence. :lol:

Great work!

I've had that happen to me too, and I don't think there's an easy way to preserve the formatting. You could enter the spaces manually and use Courier font (all characters are the same width), or post the table elsewhere and put a link here. What you did is good enough for anyone who's interested.

Thanks!

The Bills play the Fins after their historic game in London against the Giants, so their bye week will be a bit unusual relative to the 'average' bye week. The Fins byweek will entail some level of jet lag for their trip their and back.