Alabama, Republicans must be so proud...

Mickey

...and so the proper response to concerns about affirmative action is to vote to keep racist laws on the books?  Wasn't "whitey" pretty mean from say 1776 until around, oh, lets say 1964?  What is that, 188 years of slavery followed by Jim Crow?  I can see why they would be so put out by dealing with some affirmative action programs ove the last 30 years.  Not every person who is against affirmative action is a racist.  Anyone who is for keeping laws on the books that require segregation and prohibit interracial marriage, with few exceptions, is a racist.

68713[/snapback]

Once again, thank you for the polite "FU"! :huh:

No, there's no reason not to take them off the books. As I said, you have to understand the deep south. You have some folks making a statement. Yes, definitely racial overtones but it's not that simple. This goes back to the 1850's. There's a heck of a lot of pride down there, more so than anyone in NYS is used to. This thread could get ugly real fast-because the race issue is so inflamatory. Everyone with a "voiced opinion" is of your take. Anyone with an honest dissent, whether racially motivated or not is a pariah. Some people don't like the idea of mixing. Take the point of a 1st grade parent who sends their kid to school, and has someone bussed in who pees on the floor of the classroom because they weren't raised to do different. Yeah, you find things like that in Montgomery. It happens. How about driving down the road and having a couple youths step off the sidewalk in front of you on purpose, so you have to hit your brakes to avoid hitting them? It grates after awhile. I'm not saying it's right-I'm saying that's the way it is.