Stopping the Run (Walker and LBs)

folz

I'm no expert on the different types of defenses, but just going on what I see and what Marv and Jauron have said that they want, it seems like

getting Walker could definitely help the run game...even if it wasn't his strength in Philly (i.e., their system).

I know we've all gotten used to the big line stuffing defensive tackles (Washington, Williams, Adams) but what the Bills have been saying about how they want

to play defense is that they want penetrating DTs.

So, correct me if I'm wrong (those who have a better football IQ), but it seems there are two ways to go about stopping the run (in simple):

1. Have big DTs clogging up the middle (either closing run lanes or collapsing the pocket; maintaing or pushing the LOS) and the linebackers playing lanes [meeting backs in the holes, hopefully at the line of scrimmage (if the DTs hold)].

OR

2. Have DTs who penetrate (which if they're good at that I imagine OLmen would often be turning their bodies sideways to stop that rush), which means you have fast, attacking LBs (as Marv has been saying) who can shoot past the off balance linemen before they have time to recover and hopefully hit the back or QB in the backfield. They're not standing tall in a hole ready to lay some lumber, but shooting the gap and trying to disrupt the play before it gets started. And the speed of the LBs doesn't hurt in pass coverage either.

Both systems have been successful...you just have to have the right type of players for that system...and just because we were bad against the run last year didn't mean we were going to go out and sign or draft a big run-stuffing nose tackle...maybe what we lacked in this system last year was that penetration from the DTs and the speed from the LBs. So if that was the case (feel free to disagree)...we may have just taken care of one of those needs (at the same time as dropping some big salaries), so now we just need another fast attacking LB (and some LB depth) to be better against the run next season. A healthy McCargo won't hurt either.

And just wanted to add (forgive me while I sip some kool-aid): it's nice having a front office again who have a plan and do what they say they're going to...address the lines, get character players. And they show class themselves (not tagging Clements again, sending TKO to a playoff contender), they work out fair deals that aren't just for show (and who cares if we got the better of the other team or not, a great deal is both teams improving from it, unless they're in your division of course)

So, I'm confident that Marv will stay true to his word and get a fast, attacking LB (probably in the draft)... keep it going Marv...(RB 2nd round?)

dont forget the fast safeties that have to run after the rb's that get past the fast lbers and fast dt's...but I thimk were in luck and actually have those aswell.. :(

I think a LBing core of Willis, crowell and Alexander would be an awsome core behind our DT's