Vote for kerry and Paraplegics will walk again

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So we should lead the rest of the world now.  You liberals are unreal.  Lead the world in this, but get rid of evil dictators and we are the bad evil Americans.  Make up your !@#$ing mind and be consistent.

68029[/snapback]

Give me a break. Yeah, I do think we should lead the world in any efforts that are actually going to help the world. And I think Saddam Hussein was one of many bad guys, whom we are better off dealing without. The way we went about it pissed off a lot of the rest of the world. Period. I never said we were "bad evil Americans" -- typical right wing hyperbole. I think we are run by a bad, incurious administration, that is putting a lot of good Americans in bad situations.

Way to change to topic. (btw Bush has said he wants to lead the charge against AIDS, so what's the problem? my beef was with AD's sentiments.)

Actually, it's part of a brilliant idea of helping the world.  AIDS is going to kill a lot of people worldwide (38 million people have it, and they WILL all eventually die of this disease).  We should be leading the way in stopping it.  Cancer has killed so many but we have made real progress on it nonetheless -- and considering there are so many varieties of cancer this is significant.  But with AIDS it is important that we continue to consider ourselves part of the global community and in turn think about what we can do for the world, including Americans and those of other nations.  People think this disease is going away because many American lives are prolonged and Magic Johnson is still kicking.  But it isn't.  And it has nothing to do with politics, unless you are one of the people who still thinks AIDS is a gay disease.

68014[/snapback]

Thanks for proving my point by politicizing the argument and tossing out the inevitable anti-gay retorts.

If it's so important to you, give your money to a charity that sponsors research for it - a much more efficient way than sending it to a bloated bureaucracy in Washington D.C. and hoping it one day does some good.

You people are amazing.

AIDS vs Cancer is simply an excellent case study in how government works.  You're proving my point by making the argument political.

A million here, a million there.  Pretty soon it adds up to real money.  Everyone has a cause, yet everyone bitches like school children because their pet doesn't get the funding it deserves.  Let's keep wondering why government spending is out of control while we're all under its overwhelming thumb, shall we?

68043[/snapback]

You know, try telling anyone who is suffering that it's a "pet cause" while we justify giving tax breaks to McDonalds for doing more business overseas.

I would rather there were government-funded research than a company owning the cure. When profit is involved, lives saved become a byproduct rather than a goal.

Give me a break.  Yeah, I do think we should lead the world in any efforts that are actually going to help the world.  And I think Saddam Hussein was one of many bad guys, whom we are better off dealing without.  The way we went about it pissed off a lot of the rest of the world.  Period.  I never said we were "bad evil Americans" -- typical right wing hyperbole.  I think we are run by a bad, incurious administration, that is putting a lot of good Americans in bad situations.

Way to change to topic.  (btw Bush has said he wants to lead the charge against AIDS, so what's the problem?  my beef was with AD's sentiments.)

68047[/snapback]

My problem is you want the US to lead, but only where it meets your needs, not the needs of everyone in the world. Sometimes doing the right thing isn't popular.

BTW, it wasn't changing the subject, it was clarifying that you are only wanting us to lead in certain situations, but not others. Also, when the US does things for the good of the world regardless of costs you have no problem, as long as it's thing you like. Even if it's billions with no payback to the US.

But we go into Afghanistan/Iraq to protect us and our allies, you have problems with the costs. Even if it means the world is better off.

You sir are a hypocrite.

Based on the post before your reply, RCow has joined the list as well.  The guy who can't keep a post below 250 words could only manage a pathetic little one liner about W being the cause for Reeves' death.

67905[/snapback]

Lighten Up, Francis. :doh:

You know, try telling anyone who is suffering that it's a "pet cause" while we justify giving tax breaks to McDonalds for doing more business overseas.

I would rather there were government-funded research than a company owning the cure.  When profit is involved, lives saved become a byproduct rather than a goal.

68051[/snapback]

And how much does commerce and HUD spend trying to get you to buy American and invest in a house. Why should the government pick up those billions of dollars in advertising? Make the realtors, car companies, etc... pay for it.

He was joking. If you are going to have 20 posts you clearly do not know the personalities here so pleasse try to wait until you know a wee bit about a person before calling them an idiot.

Not saying that RCow is not an idiot.  ;) I just don't happen to think so.

67937[/snapback]

Ah, thanks. I think. :doh:

I would rather there were government-funded research than a company owning the cure.  When profit is involved, lives saved become a byproduct rather than a goal.

68051[/snapback]

Just another political argument.

I would rather there be neither. I'm pretty sure we were curing diseases before massive government funding and political detente became the rule rather than the aberration.

You have a very ideological view of how government works. As someone who has worked for and with the Federal government for the last 18 years, I couldn't disagree with you more.

$2,500,000,000,000.00. That's a big number. Your attitude is why it keeps getting bigger.

Thanks for proving my point by politicizing the argument and tossing out the inevitable anti-gay retorts. 

If it's so important to you, give your money to a charity that sponsors research for it - a much more efficient way than sending it to a bloated bureaucracy in Washington D.C. and hoping it one day does some good.

You people are amazing.

68049[/snapback]

Well, AD, I really don't have any choice as to where my tax dollars go... So I am merely hoping it goes for some good. Can I assume you believe your health and life are safer in the hands of corporate America than in those of the government? Do you believe that a system motivated purely by profit thinks dick about what is best for you and your family?

By the way, I give money to all sorts of charities. Serious question: I'd like to know what's important to you. Do you do the same?

If you do, good for you. I can't name one non-political foundation the Bushes have started or funded with all the good fortune life has granted them. And they have plenty of friends they are helping out with the same mentality. Wonderful example, don't you think?

This post is kind of redundant to Darin's but what part of the President's job description states that he is responsible for making sure people who cannot walk will some day be able to?  I do not want my tax dollars used for that.

Your tax dollars are currently being used for this research under the Bush administration.

Do you believe that a system motivated purely by profit thinks dick about what is best for you and your family? 

68064[/snapback]

Do you believe that a system purely motivated by political gains, greed, and the quest to retain/regain political power thinks dick about what is best for you and your family?

My problem is you want the US to lead, but only where it meets your needs, not the needs of everyone in the world.  Sometimes doing the right thing isn't popular. 

BTW, it wasn't changing the subject, it was clarifying that you are only wanting us to lead in certain situations, but not others.  Also, when the US does things for the good of the world regardless of costs you have no problem, as long as it's thing you like.  Even if it's billions with no payback to the US.

But we go into Afghanistan/Iraq to protect us and our allies, you have problems with the costs.  Even if it means the world is better off. 

You sir are a hypocrite.

68052[/snapback]

Bull-stevestojan.

Afghanistan was right. And we started it the right way with world support because we were right on, would that we had actually finished the job. And I would have supported an effort in Iraq led RESPONSIBLY by the U.S.

I think if you visited most of the rest of the world they would tell you that more AIDS education and funding would make a world of difference, particularly in Africa.

Raised as a Christian I didn't realize that it was necessary to expect payback for everything good you do. Sometimes, as Bush himself has said, you do something because it's right, not because you expect something in return. I'm sorry I don't understand where you're coming from fully.

Well, AD, I really don't have any choice as to where my tax dollars go... So I am merely hoping it goes for some good.  Can I assume you believe your health and life are safer in the hands of corporate America than in those of the government?  Do you believe that a system motivated purely by profit thinks dick about what is best for you and your family? 

By the way, I give money to all sorts of charities.  Serious question:  I'd like to know what's important to you.  Do you do the same? 

If you do, good for you.  I can't name one non-political foundation the Bushes have started or funded with all the good fortune life has granted them.  And they have plenty of friends they are helping out with the same mentality.  Wonderful example, don't you think?

68064[/snapback]

Do I give money to charity? Of course. It's a tax write off and I know where my money goes.

You don't have a choice where your tax dollars go because you and others like you have allowed the government to grow to ridiculous levels.

Corporate America is a direct reflection of the government. You show some faith in one and utter disgust in the other. Wake up.

I'm not sure what your last statement has to do with anything, but it's obvious you don't know much about the charitible contributions of the two candidates. Do some research.

Do you believe that a system purely motivated by political gains, greed, and the quest to retain/regain political power thinks dick about what is best for you and your family?

68071[/snapback]

I think there are more results that prove it at least can help. Ask any of the military guys on the board (the government's biggest program) if the government helped them better their lives.

Bull-stevestojan.

Afghanistan was right.  And started it the right way and had world support because we were right on, would that we had actually finished the job.  And I would have supported an effort in Iraq led RESPONSIBLY by the U.S.

I think if you visited most of the rest of the world they would tell you that more AIDS education and funding would make a world of difference, particularly in Africa.

Raised as a Christian I didn't realize that it was necessary to expect payback for everything good you do.  Sometimes, as Bush himself has said, you do something because it's right, not because you expect something in return.  I'm sorry I don't understand where you're coming from fully.

68072[/snapback]

I have visited a lot of the rest of the world. I understand AIDS research would help out, but to do so and lead the effort without the rest of the world is doing so without payback. I am not saying it is wrong.

I also feel getting rid of evil tyrants who are a threat to us or our allies (which includes Israel) is also a good cause. How many people are dying because of starvation, gas attcks by their own government, genecide (think Sudan)? The UN does nothing but when the US steps forward demands action or they take action, we are mistreated and bemoaned publicly by the rest of the world.

Again, the rest of the world sure like when we give them things (free research, protection, etc...), but they sure whine a lot when we do things they don't like. You seem to side with the rest of the world, thinking they can be like dogs. If there is food in it they eat, but stick a hand out in freindship, you get it bit.

I think there are more results that prove it at least can help.  Ask any of the military guys on the board (the government's biggest program) if the government helped them better their lives.

68077[/snapback]

Sure it did, but you also have the risk of dying. But you and a lot of your friends here think the military guys join up shouldn't be held to their contracts.

You say, "Oh they signed up but not to fight. Not to be extended. Even if their contract says they can, they didn't mean it". Screw that I signed up, got paid poorly, learned a few things, and went it harms way a couple of times. But I lived up to the contract and demand nothing less of the current batch.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Bush given more money to aids than any other president, any other country, any other anything ever??

68090[/snapback]

You are correct. Clinton, Bush Sr. and Reagen all basically ignored it especially overseas support.