can a rookie MLB like willis call defensive signals?

yeah, but dont let that bad example cloud you from the overall point. i dont think any rookie should be EXPECTED to be able to do anything. then if he CAN do it, bonus! if not, then any of our veteran LBs or our "super-smart" aspiring star SS should be able to do it.

a question for the "can a rookie MLB be expected to call the defensive signals?" group. if you are talking EXPECTATIONS, and you are dealing with rookies and veterans, shouldnt you EXPECT veterans like Spikes and Crowell to be able to make the calls? and give the new kid the benefit of the doubt for a year?

A wise poster in this thread stated:

Of course a rookie (or, at least SOME rookies) would be up to this task. Given the choice, though, would you rather have a PROVEN, SAVVY vet make the call, or a rookie with unknown abilities in that area at the NFL level?

Oh...that was me! :unsure:

In my previous post, I was just pointing out what a completely bone-headed assertion that was.

The Bills have several options regarding play calling should they decide to draft Willis:

1. Have him play MLB but have Crowell remaining at WLB do the playcalling.

This can be done although there will be some likely and unlikely risks associated with this approach. Generally its good having the MLB do this as particularly in a noisy stadium, its easier for the MLB to call to players on both sides of the field, If Crowell has this duty on the weakside, particularly in noisy stadiums the Bills will have to workout a relay systems to assure signals get to the far side of the field from Crowell. Someone may not here a shift call but generally I think this is a low risk.

As the Will, Crowell will often be a step or so closer to the LOS and certainly will not have the angle the MLB has to see all players in terms of tips off on which direction they may be blocking or moving and schemes, this also seems to be a relatively small risk though both of these are real downsides to an off LB making the calls.

2. Have Willis play OLB as apparently he has some experience doing and have Crowell at MLB making the calls.

IMHO MLB is a key to making the Cover 2 work and actually requires the player to both be able to tackle like DT and pass cover like a safety, that I suspect playcalling will be the least of Willis; problems if he is a rookie starting MLB. I like the idea of drafting him and having him play OLB his first year as he learns the game and then move him to MLB later. He can certainly be our MLB as a rookie, but if he is I think he probably means the Bills are likely willing to accept a couple of losses from OC fooling our rookie MLB to step backward expecting to pass cover while the opponents run up the middle or step forward expecting a run and some fleet footed vet WR blows right by him running a post pattern and gets seven. If Willis is our starting MLB, i suspect we will be set at that position for many years, but simply prepare yourself for some painful learning experiences for him in 2007 as this rookie learns to be a vet.

3. Either Whitner ot Simpson have the mental ability to make play calls from the safety position.

I have not heard anything to indicate they are ready for this, but this is a likely better option than having a rookie MLB make the playcalls.