Guitar players

Actually I think I'll go with the 120W and get the $100 foot pedal (with Wah/Volume pedal, my first!). That will cost be about $500 and give me twice the power I had with my old amp I used to gig with.

You should get a Marshall JCM DSL Half-Stack. Great for gigs and you can get many great tones from it. Hey! I happen to have one I'm trying to sell! :devil::worthy: :worthy:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea you all have better amps than i have right now. I only have a Squire 15 but there is some very sound advice being passed along here. FWIW, I love my Dean Baby V good for the punk/ metal stuff. not so much for the classic rock

I have been using Line 6 for over 10 years now. I have an AxSys 212 and a Vetta HD/4x12 setup. Both are great amps, and I've also heard very good things about the Spiders, but I have yet to play through one.

Overall, the flexiblity of the Line 6 products make them ideal for metal and modern rock. When combined with their FBX pedal, you will be able to get just about every tone and effect that you will ever need right at the tip of your toe.

The only complaint I have ever had with them is that their simulated feedback can be a little bit too much, and sometimes at very high stage volume, you need to make adjustments to your drive on distorted channels (but that's a concern with nearly all amps, digital or analog).

nothing else like a mesa boogie. listen to al dimeolas "elegant gypsy" and tell me another amp that could produce sustain like that.

Carlos also always used a MB (dunno if he still does). Definitely a distinctive (and beautiful) sound.

Of course, it might have a LITTLE something to do with the talent of Al D and Carlos Santana...no? I think they would get sustain from a pignose. :devil:

I want a set-up with the option to gig, although in all likelihood I probably won't. I guess the 150W combo will do. Maybe even the 120W.

Christ man, 150W????? There's no way on God's Green Earth you will need anything near that. Any gig you play is going to be miked through the PA anyways.

I have a 100W Fender twin Combo that has never even bee past 4 in any gig I've ever played because you can hear it down the block on 3. Save your money and buy less power, it's overkill and you don't need to go to "11" to rock it out. Chances are, you will never use it anyways...

Christ man, 150W????? There's no way on God's Green Earth you will need anything near that. Any gig you play is going to be miked through the PA anyways.

I have a 100W Fender twin Combo that has never even bee past 4 in any gig I've ever played because you can hear it down the block on 3. Save your money and buy less power, it's overkill and you don't need to go to "11" to rock it out. Chances are, you will never use it anyways...

Yeah. I'm gonna compromise and go 120W. Still probably more than I need, but sometimes you gotta say WTF! :devil:

I have been using Line 6 for over 10 years now. I have an AxSys 212 and a Vetta HD/4x12 setup. Both are great amps, and I've also heard very good things about the Spiders, but I have yet to play through one.

Overall, the flexiblity of the Line 6 products make them ideal for metal and modern rock. When combined with their FBX pedal, you will be able to get just about every tone and effect that you will ever need right at the tip of your toe.

The only complaint I have ever had with them is that their simulated feedback can be a little bit too much, and sometimes at very high stage volume, you need to make adjustments to your drive on distorted channels (but that's a concern with nearly all amps, digital or analog).

My son just got a Vetta II Combo and has a Spider II combo and the Spider II HD/Cabinet. The Vetta makes the Spider sound like a toy amp. It is just awesome sounding.

He was also having some problems with some of the amp models on the Vetta when playing at a high volume, but he found that the Loudness feature was turned on by default. It makes the amp sound fuller at low volumes, but it really screws up when you crank the volume. You might want to check that this on your amp. Turning it off fixed it.

True dat.

BTW, just ordered the 120W with the wah/volume pedal. No tax and shipping. Comes out to $499.98.

Can't wait to get it and jam!

Thanks again for the input. :unsure:

Great pickup for a great price man. You'll be happy with it.

The vetta is an amazing setup as well, much better than the spider II....However, the spider III is a major step up from the spider II. 4 years of technology goes a long way

Great pickup for a great price man. You'll be happy with it.

I saw an online demo at the Line 6 website. Sounded nice. My Peavey Triumph 60 died and wasn't all that great anyway, and this will blow it away.

The vetta is an amazing setup as well, much better than the spider II....However, the spider III is a major step up from the spider II. 4 years of technology goes a long way

That's what I figured. And again as I said, no way I'm dropping $1700 on an amp!

Right, it's split between the two channels. However, the point is, even 60W is plenty of power for little gigs and around the house jamming.

Unless you are planning on playing at Darian Lake anytime soon...

Not until these record companies start meeting my demands....

Demand number 1. SIGN ME!!! :unsure:

I'm looking for a new amp. Give me some suggestions and reasons why I should get that amp. Thanks in advance.

As promised, here's my bro's advice for your needs: Fender tube amp.

He has a Line 6 guitar and has played through the Flextone, but has yet to hear the Spider. His son just bought a Flextone and likes it.

There you have it.

But, i know you've already decided. Good luck with the Spider and let us know how it works out.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guit...=482273/rpp=10/

this might help you ease the tension

I'm not too worried. Compared to my Peavey Triumph 60, anything is a step-up. Plus I like how this has all the effect I used to use in foot pedals, built-in. Plus I've always wanted a wah/volume pedal. :unsure:

But I ended-up getting the 120W combo amp, not the 150W head/cab.

I'm not too worried. Compared to my Peavey Triumph 60, anything is a step-up. Plus I like how this has all the effect I used to use in foot pedals, built-in. Plus I've always wanted a wah/volume pedal. ;)

But I ended-up getting the 120W combo amp, not the 150W head/cab.

right, but the features are the same