Marv's Character Guys

I know I have seen some reponces to various threads, but this is the way I take Marv is intent on building the team.

IMHO, when Marv talks about building around character guys, he is not talking about about having a 53 man roster of choir boys. He is talking about football character. He is talking about guys who are willing to put in the time to be the bast they can be. Guys who love the game, and who play to win more than they play for a paycheck. Guys who will spend the offseason becoming boys with their teamates, in Buffalo, not at the U training facilities. Guys who value the team over the individual. Guys who bust ass every play, not only when they feel like it. Guys who understand football is the ultimate team game, and respond accordingly.

Lets face it, by all accounts Marv had the hardest partying team in the NFL for quite some years, but dammit they cared about each other and they cared about winning. They laid it on the field every Sunday, and while they came up just short 4 years running, they never gave up. Thats the "character" marv wants!

Friigen Willis didn't fit that mold. My gut tells me he goes for 1500 next year with the Ravens, but so what? he wouldnd"t do that in Buffalo, and he wouldn"t fit in with the rest of the boys busting stones to win, not pile up stats.

I am one who didn't hate TD, but lordy, I have never been happier with a GM than i am now with Marv.

Very much agreed. This whole idea that Marv didn't like Willis because he "has children out of wedlock" is the goofiest thing I have ever heard. As if any GM/coach gives a sht about who/how many chicks his players are banging.

Marv wants guys who are committed to winning and committed to being Buffalo Bills. That is character. Go out a smoke an ounce, have an orgy, steal your neighbors newspaper and take the last donut. But when it is time to contribute to the team, you better give 100%. That means giving a sht about being a good teammate and doing whatever you can to make the team more successful.

I loved Willis too. But I completely agree that for whatever reason, he was through with Buffalo. Maybe he never wanted to be here. Maybe he soured on the team/coaches. I think he didn't care very much last year. Maybe a change of scenery lights his fire. I think he is very capable of 1600 yds and 10 TDs....but he is also just as capable as mailing it in for 1050. We'll see how it goes, and I wish him the best. But I'm glad we made a choice and made it quickly.

Time to move forward.

I know I have seen some reponces to various threads, but this is the way I take Marv is intent on building the team.

IMHO, when Marv talks about building around character guys, he is not talking about about having a 53 man roster of choir boys. He is talking about football character. He is talking about guys who are willing to put in the time to be the bast they can be. Guys who love the game, and who play to win more than they play for a paycheck. Guys who will spend the offseason becoming boys with their teamates, in Buffalo, not at the U training facilities. Guys who value the team over the individual. Guys who bust ass every play, not only when they feel like it. Guys who understand football is the ultimate team game, and respond accordingly.

Lets face it, by all accounts Marv had the hardest partying team in the NFL for quite some years, but dammit they cared about each other and they cared about winning. They laid it on the field every Sunday, and while they came up just short 4 years running, they never gave up. Thats the "character" marv wants!

Friigen Willis didn't fit that mold. My gut tells me he goes for 1500 next year with the Ravens, but so what? he wouldnd"t do that in Buffalo, and he wouldn"t fit in with the rest of the boys busting stones to win, not pile up stats.

I am one who didn't hate TD, but lordy, I have never been happier with a GM than i am now with Marv.

Exactly.

This whole "character" thing is like a national sports buzzword. Lots of people project their own definition onto the team. Lots of moralizing going on. Lots of stones being cast. You captured the essence of what I believe (project?) is the kind of "character" Marv is looking for.