These Are The Urgent Needs

So far, the most urgent needs are

Running Back

Middle Linebacker

DBack

Defensive Tackle

I think the way you have to look at it is that RB seems to be the one position that can definitely be filled in the 2nd round. That means that you have to take Dback, DT or MLB in 1st. If Patrick Willis or Okoye is there, enough said. If they are not, you take one of the two DBs that are rated highest. The one big decision is wether or not they spend a 1st on Okoye. If he is there, it is definitely a possibility. If not, the answers are above.

In the end, I believe it comes down to Okoye, Willis or DB depending on who is available. No trade ups or down.

IMO, RB and LB (in general, not necessarily MLB) are the two biggies. We should trade up in the first round and make sure we get a 1st round RB and a 1st round LB.

CB is the next biggest hole, I think we'll sign a mediocre veteran (similar to K Thomas).

I think we're okay at DT, but I think we'll draft at least 1 DT later on in the draft.

I really doubt Marv is going to draft another 3-tech DT in the 1st round this year when he traded up to draft one last year, especially when the one he drafted last year is still a rookie, practically speaking. This is the argument against Okoye, imo, especially since Marv has not shown or hinted at being keen about really focusing on DT so far this offseason.

IMO, RB and LB (in general, not necessarily MLB) are the two biggies. We should trade up in the first round and make sure we get a 1st round RB and a 1st round LB.

CB is the next biggest hole, I think we'll sign a mediocre veteran (similar to K Thomas).

I think we're okay at DT, but I think we'll draft at least 1 DT later on in the draft.

Thats about the way I see it as well. I think is trying to figure out how to get both Patrick Willis and Marshawn Lynch. On the other hand, he may also make a play for Michael Turner, using our second and Baltimore's third.

CB, I think Harper from Indy could be the best fit.

DT, I can see a draft pick, but personally wish we'd take a look at Marcus Bell. He's a mammoth 1 gap DT who would clog the middle and help stuff the run.

I don't see how CB is NOT our biggest hole. Our CB corps is comprised of a decent #2 (McGee), a complete unknown (Youboty) and a nickel/dime back (Greer). That is beyond lacking. What's worse is that it will be impossible to find a #1 CB and even a highly drafted rookie will most likely only contribute as a nickel. I feel like we either must draft a CB #1 or get a decent veteran in here AND take a CB on the first day.

I mean this is pretty ugly, IMO:

CB1: McGee

CB2: Youboty

N: Greer

D: ???

6: ???

I think RB is the next biggest, but the easiest to fill. A-Train, Dillon and Brown are all basically starting quality RBs I think. And a combination of any of them plus a 1st day rookie could provide a lot of success.

LB is a funny one because I believe Crowell could adequately fill the MLB role and I think Spikes will be even better as he gets healthy. I like Ellison a lot, but I wonder about his ability as a full-time starter. I would like a first day pick here too.

DT is a complete enigma to me. I love what I hear about Okoye and wouldn't mind snatching him up at 12. But I'm also very anxious to see what McCargo has. He looked like he was starting to get going when he broke his foot and I think it would be foolish to replace an unknown. I think both Williams and Tripplet are decent.

Thats about the way I see it as well. I think is trying to figure out how to get both Patrick Willis and Marshawn Lynch. On the other hand, he may also make a play for Michael Turner, using our second and Baltimore's third.

CB, I think Harper from Indy could be the best fit.

DT, I can see a draft pick, but personally wish we'd take a look at Marcus Bell. He's a mammoth 1 gap DT who would clog the middle and help stuff the run.

I agree with you Bills Fan. I would love to bring in Harper from Indy, resign A-Train, then figure out how to get Lynch and Willis (or depending on if they want Crowell in the middle, Timmons/guy from Penn I can't spell), followed by a CB/DT.

Right now we have one hole. RB. I don't expect we will have any holes by draft day because I think we will have signed one or two RBs before then (including A-Train, and then Rhodes/Dillon).

I think CB/LB/DT are not holes but positions to receive primary consideration for upgrades. Youboty/McGee with KT or Greer at nickel doesn't make our secondary terrible, just not as good as it can be. Ellison/Crowell/Spikes with Wire on the bench doesn't sound too terrible at LB. Triplett/McCargo/Kyle/Hargrove isn't a void at DT.

So this puts us exactly where we need to be. Several areas to target, but after we sign a veteran back or two in the next couple days, no crazy glaring holes we have to spend #12 on. That's the best place to be on draft day. If by then we decide Okoye is the best fit and there is CB depth in round 2, we do that. Or we sign June and like Revis better at #12, RB in the second, and get a later pick DT to add depth. Lots and lots can happen after we sign a back or two, and we can find the best value to improve RB/CB/DT/LB and potentially other places based on what is available.

Heading to the toy store to get the best toys around, and not needing a Tickle-Me-Elmo no matter what is really the best way to have a Merry Christmas.