Crowell at MLB?

I'm going to puke. He filled in last year for Fletch and was replaced in the middle by Spikes the second half of the game because he played so bad. The few times before when he was put in the middle were even worse. This folks is not the answer. he is already always out of position and get manhandled on the outside, it is only going to get worse playing the middle when he has to shed a center/guard on very play. Not only that but his hang on for dear life and hope the guy finally go down isn't an endearing style for a MLB.

I'm going to puke. He filled in last year for Fletch and was replaced in the middle by Spikes the second half of the game because he played so bad. The few times before when he was put in the middle were even worse. This folks is not the answer. he is already always out of position and get manhandled on the outside, it is only going to get worse playing the middle when he has to shed a center/guard on very play. Not only that but his hang on for dear life and hope the guy finally go down isn't an endearing style for a MLB.

I agree...I am really not sold on Crowell being a starter on this team. If London was perceived as a non-attacking player, then Crowell is a soft-tissue.

Ummmmmm......actually, I believe Crow was injured? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. (I'm sure somebody will). :rolleyes:

I think Ellison and Wire will share time at the other outside linebacker position. They just have to be quick to the ball and be able to play some coverage. Not to big, not to small! I think Ellison will grow in the offseason size wise, and playing time wise.

The offseason program for Ellison will be key. A focused strength training program that doesn't compromise speed.

And it probably means that OLB is the bigger position of need that can be filled either va free agency (Cato June) -- or in the draft. You can usually find a decent OLB that can start right away in the 2nd or 3rd round.

I am betting that we don't get any LB's in free agency and head into the draft looking for an LB in rnd 1 or 2. I hope marv and Dick really don't like Crowell in the middle enough to surprise us with Paul Pulunosky (sp?) at 12 or even 22 for that matter. I admit. I have never seen him play but from what I have read I really don't like his lack of big play ability. Just my humble opinion...

I love how one check of the depth chart spurs such optimism!

Brad Cieslak would agree. More linebackers to come.

Soprano told me that Coy Wire was up to 247 pounds. Be prepared.

Which game are you referring to? In the last 4 games before he was injured, Crowell put up some good numbers and more important the D performed well enough to win 3 of these 4 games with the losing one being a game where Crowell was credited with a dozen tackles and he forced a fumble in a great D performance in a losing cause at Indy.

His 82 tackles in under 12 complete games, his 2 INTs (F-B led the team with 4), 2 sacks and 7 passes defended were a pretty good performance for an OLB.

The fact he has produced good numbers in the diverse roles of pass protection, tackling and getting sacks is a good indication that he does have the diverse skills needed of our MLB and the fact that he was able to step in and impress many observers speaks to his understanding other roles besides his own which is critical for a signal caller.

In terms of his career, this performance not only took place in his first full year as a WLB, but he actually switched out of his natural position last year simply because he was the best back-up LB the Bills had even though he was not TKO's back-up on the depth chart.

As a back-up for Fletch he only saw action in pre-season but performed well in this role in the few performances he had.

Of course there is no guarantee that he is what we will want, but question marks raised by his injury would seem to be a much larger issue than the quality of his play judging by objective standards.

Let me ask this question again.

What makes people think that Ellison is a long term starting caliber LB? Sure he got some playing time last year which nobody really expected given where he was drafted, but has he really shown on the field that he can be a starter on a team with playoff ambitions?

Because the kid has shown great instincts, is VERY fast, and a sure tackler. He has a presence out there, and made plenty of big plays to warrant a starting position next year. He will bulk up as most 22 year old kids do after their first season. He'll play at 230 next year, good enough to make it through a 16 game schedule. I believe he will be our best backer next year.

Any doubters?

Which game are you referring to? In the last 4 games before he was injured, Crowell put up some good numbers and more important the D performed well enough to win 3 of these 4 games with the losing one being a game where Crowell was credited with a dozen tackles and he forced a fumble in a great D performance in a losing cause at Indy.

His 82 tackles in under 12 complete games, his 2 INTs (F-B led the team with 4), 2 sacks and 7 passes defended were a pretty good performance for an OLB.

The fact he has produced good numbers in the diverse roles of pass protection, tackling and getting sacks is a good indication that he does have the diverse skills needed of our MLB and the fact that he was able to step in and impress many observers speaks to his understanding other roles besides his own which is critical for a signal caller.

In terms of his career, this performance not only took place in his first full year as a WLB, but he actually switched out of his natural position last year simply because he was the best back-up LB the Bills had even though he was not TKO's back-up on the depth chart.

As a back-up for Fletch he only saw action in pre-season but performed well in this role in the few performances he had.

Of course there is no guarantee that he is what we will want, but question marks raised by his injury would seem to be a much larger issue than the quality of his play judging by objective standards.

I like this thread, can you tell? I agree...keep Crowell on the outside and draft a bruising MLB like Willis and you'll have three solid LBs and a big question mark in Spikes. We can always rotate the four of them and keep them fresh especially since Crowell and Ellison are a little light.

Look at his Bio- 2005: Inactive vs. Hou. (9/11). … Saw first action at linebacker and posted six tackles after filling in for an injured London Fletcher at TB. He is our MLB, who will attack. read between the lines. Marv is the man.

Although Crowell might have a game of experience at middle linebacker, I am not sure how we are going to pass up Patrick Willis or Paul P. in the draft considering our needs. A talk on TBD of a trade down in the draft is a good possibility.

The offseason program for Ellison will be key. A focused strength training program that doesn't compromise speed.

I hope it isn't the same offseason program they had McGee on. Talk about a player that bulked up and it compromised his speed!!!!!