Question about Greer and Free Agency

I saw we signed Greer today (to a two-year deal)

AP: CB Greer re-signs with Bills

Bills Re-Sign CB Jabari Greer

The Bills chose not to present Greer with a one-year qualifying offer, instead electing to secure his services beyond the 2007 season

It's just a coincidence they wrapped up his contract the day free agency started, right? They could have offered this 2-year deal last week ....and that would have counted as a tender (if the $$ were high enough), right?

I've thought all offseason we'd be pursuing A-train, K Thomas, and maybe AndreaDavis again, but haven't heard anything about these guys. Just because they're not RFA's, is there a rule that we couldn't talk to them until Free agency started? I thought they were Bills until FA, when the last contract year expired, so we could have talked to them at any time.

So, if I had it right, and we haven't tried to sign these guys yet (nothing reported), does that mean we don't want them back? Or, are the Bills letting them explore the market so they know they are getting a fair deal if they come back (sounds like Marv)?

Sorry for the rambling. It's been a very long weak and I'm half brain-dead, but still watching TBD for Free Agent news (so far so good!).

It's just a coincidence they wrapped up his contract the day free agency started, right? They could have offered this 2-year deal last week ....and that would have counted as a tender (if the $$ were high enough), right?

I've thought all offseason we'd be pursuing A-train, K Thomas, and maybe Anthony Davis again, but haven't heard anything about these guys. Just because they're not RFA's, is there a rule that we couldn't talk to them until Free agency started? I thought they were Bills until FA, when the last contract year expired, so we could have talked to them at any time.

So, if I had it right, and we haven't tried to sign these guys yet (nothing reported), does that mean we don't want them back? Or, are the Bills letting them explore the market so they know they are getting a fair deal if they come back (sounds like Marv)?

Sorry for the rambling. It's been a very long weak and I'm half brain-dead, but still watching TBD for Free Agent news (so far so good!).

U MEAN ANDRE DAVIS

and i hear ya brother it has been a long week.

I've thought all offseason we'd be pursuing A-train, K Thomas, and maybe AndreaDavis again, but haven't heard anything about these guys. Just because they're not RFA's, is there a rule that we couldn't talk to them until Free agency started? I thought they were Bills until FA, when the last contract year expired, so we could have talked to them at any time.

Sure - you can always talk terms with a player under contract.

A-Train and Andre Davis aren't anything special. Thomas I heard is looking to back down South and probably wants to try and cash-in on the weak FA CB market.

A Davis was one of our best special teams players (after of course Moorman and Lindell).

Thanks for the info on Thomas. I thought they'd keep him w the Jauron connection, and given how thin we are at FB/RB.

A Davis was one of our best special teams players (after of course Moorman and Lindell).

The Bills had excellent ST's in 2004 and 2005, i.e. before AD was with the Bills. I think that at his lack of ability at WR and price, they didn't feel like he was worth it.

Thanks for the info on Thomas. I thought they'd keep him w the Jauron connection, and given how thin we are at FB/RB.

There are several better options available now. But he could always be brought-back on the cheap.