Kudos to Jake Plummer

Lori

Plummer has backers in his own revolution - Mark Kiszla, Denver Post

Proving love counts more than money, and friendship can endure beyond death, Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer defied a league edict and adorned his helmet with a decal honoring late NFL star Pat Tillman.

Then, Plummer went out and beat Carolina 20-17, overcoming a costly interception to rally Denver with a fourth-quarter comeback.

It was the second-bravest thing Plummer did Sunday.

No. 1 was taking the hit of a hefty fine promised by the league if Plummer dared to honor Tillman, a former teammate who quit the NFL to become a soldier and died at age 27 during combat in Afghanistan this year.

"I want to keep honoring Pat forever. I put the sticker back on," Plummer said. "I'm going to get fined. I guarantee it."

Bill Petropulos, who served in the Army, recently e-mailed The Denver Post, urging Plummer to not back down. "(Fight) the NFL," wrote Petropulos, profanely upset by the NFL's cold, cruel heart. "Wear the decal. I'll pay the fine."

All successful revolutions start at a grassroots level. No doubt, those same passionate Broncomaniacs who booed Plummer when he tossed an interception returned 101 yards by Carolina's Julius Peppers in the third quarter will enthusiastically contribute to the quarterback's defense fund.

To help reduce Plummer's costs, I have $100 ready to mail to Tagliabue. It's not much. But what if we all send small checks to the league office?

Plummer, however, has a better idea. Fines collected by the NFL already are distributed to league-approved charities. The quarterback would like to see his financial penalties for wearing No. 40 on his Denver helmet donated to the Pat Tillman Foundation.

"What would be more poetic than to give the money to a charity run by Tillman's family? That way, everybody wins," said Jamey Crimmins, an adviser to Plummer. "Perhaps we can have that conversation with the NFL. I hope the league will listen."

I'm in.

Pat Tillman Foundation