Fletcher still getting no respect

Steve O

According to the NFLPA.org the second highest paid CB behind Bailey in the league is Rhonde Barber who only 8 more career INTs then Nate does. So even if Nate doesn't get picks I think it shows just how valuable quality CBs in the cover 2. To ask Youboty to start and replace a Pro Bowl caliber type CB like Nate when he didn't even see the field as a nickel or dime CB is asking a lot. People can point he missed most of training camp due to his mothers death etc are making an excuse as even in the season finale Coy Wire was seeing more playing time at CB then Youboty was, while he still has potential I wouldn't actually hang my hat on him to start and this doesn't even factor in that McGee was losing some starting time to Kiwaukee Thomas last year as well.

[quote

I agree that it is doubtful that Youbouty can step in and start, but to me that it makes better football sense to purchase a cheaper vet CB rather than pay Champ Bailey like money for NC. I think NC is a good player and may one day even deserve Pro Bowl status again. However, they way we use CBs in our Cover 2 which calls for press coverage (which Nate can do well) but to release the WR after 10-15 yards simply eliminates one of NC's better skills which is to run with and cover a WR going deep. In addition, I think we saw a drop in NC's INT numbers because he is at his best in the old Bills zone blitz or the Corey bend but do not break style as these allowed NC to be the playmaker he can be by sitting back, jumping routes, and ranging all over the field.

While I doubt Youbouty can step in as a starting CB, I think he interested the Bills because his relatively big body, very competitive nature, rep as a good hand-fighter and some pundits feeling like he could contribute fairly quickly once a few kinks in his game were trained out of him (he apparently does not play as well with his back to the QB which actually will be minimized if he releases after 12 yards or so).

I expect him to at least be our nickel this year and if we get a cheaper vet (Harper or less) to fill in then I think the CB situation will be set and we can use the cap savings from letting Nate go to replace Fletcher or keep him. As you note below while NC is easily worth Chanp Bailey money to most teams in this league and should excel if he picks the right situation, the Bills simply are not that situation the way we use our CBs.

In terms of LB, I can understand why signing Briggs is a popular idea. Though I still maintain that drafting a guy like Patrick Willis and bringing in a vetean like Wali Rainer is a smart idea as well. As Rainer did start five games for the Lions in 2005 under Jauron if Willis should faulter. As I'm not high on a plan to shift Crowell MLB but if we do then I'd say we might want to consider drafting a guy Lawrence Timmons to play WLB. Then we could re-sign Nate and allow Youboty to develop a little more and maybe replace McGee if needed. As again think Nate's greatness is being underappreciated by those that don't think he deserves Bailey type money but mark my words some team will give him that money. As by contrast he is easily a top 10 CB in this league where no one else on the current roster or free agent landscape can make that claim.

[quote

Timmons as a WLB sounds fine to me with Crowell shifting over. If we in fact take Willis, I hope he works out for us quickly and that I am happily wrong that his learning time will be quite painful to watch and hopefully short. Certainly rookies have started at MLB before, but our version of the cover 2 puts alot of pressure on the MLB to diagnose and not be fooled by pro plays as the way we play it calls for the MLB to tackle like a DT but to be able to play deep cover like a safety. Despite folks whines about Fletch, the number of tackles he has been credited with (predominantly solo tackles which is a counter indicator to the thought his tackling is hindered by his size) and his team leading and highest by an LB INT totals actually point to F-B actually doing this job pretty well.

We can gave someone on the roster who can play RCB and if we have to go FA, we can buy a cheaper one to do the job to make our D work. At MLB it is very quite doubtful DiGregorio can do this and on the roster even if Crowell skides over we still need to replace him with a quakity guy.

I think your saying the O was not well coached last year is a misnomer. As maybe the reason the Bills made Peerless a possesion WR is we don't have one on the current roster and we needed someone to play the position. I think Fairchild also took some baby steps this season with JP and while he showed some good things last year he still needs to improve as can't help but notice that we won just two of the six games in which JP had more then 30 pass attempts which tells me a balanced approach will help us win more next year or that JP has to find target JP's comfortable with in on first and second downs outside of Lee Evans. A possession WR should definately be considered and welcome a WR with size to compliment our current crop of undersized WRs.

[quote

While he is a little undersized for the typical possession receiver, i think Josh Reed though he failed at his shot at #2 in his second year has proved himself to actually be a go-to guy for JP when he is looking for a first down. I think he is nore the possession receiver type than PP and in fact his ability to run after the catch makes him not only an effective choice to pick up those extra yards when you need to move the sticks, but also it turns him into a good long threat with RAC after a short pitch. I think that we simply need a different scheme not that JP has given himself and us more confidence in him. We should not be afraid us using more empty backfield with Reed as the 4th WR or more one back sets since Shelton seemed to provide so little when he was in there.

The O-line definately needs an upgrade at both OG positions and hope we can address one through free agency and the other with a high (see day 1) draft pick.

[quote

This would be fine with me, though I think we only fill one OL position through the draft and the other through FA. After augmenting the Marv dictum of a team must run, then I would use the other first day choice on stopping the run rather than running.

That list looks pretty accurate as long as its not in that order. London is probably the best free agent middle linebacker that is out on the market but Lance Brigga is the best overall linebacker. There are some good defensive ends that are going to be free agents. I would imagine that half of those names are going to stay with their present team.