So why does an ABA title count more than an AFL title?

I keep reading and hearing this week in national sports media (ESPN, Fox, CNNSI, ABC, CBS… you get the idea) that this is Indianapolis’ first championship since the 1973 Pacers won the American Basketball Association title. And this bugs me. Because, and please tell me if my perception is wrong here, the general consensus in many of the same national sports media is that Buffalo has never won a major professional sports championship. Obviously our two American Football League championships are being discounted as a minor achievement. So is an ABA title in the 70s counted as more legit than an AFL title in the 60s? Do “rival league” titles from that era rate along the same lines as today’s Arena Football League or National Lacrosse League? I dunno. Are you bugged by this too?

You can move this to “off the Wall” if you need to.

I'm bugged about it too, but not as a slight to Buffalo, but as a slight to history all across the NFL. How many times do you read that the Browns franchise is in search of its first Super Bowl, instead of its "Fifth NFL championship"? When was the last time you heard the Packers have 11 titles -- which they do -- and not three (as in Super Bowls)?

It's like the NFL has sent its entire pre-1966 history on a Logan's Run.

I dunno.

Doan'cha think that when Buffalo finally does win a SuperBowl the headlines people everywhere will keep reading and hearing for a week in national sports media (ESPN, Fox, CNNSI, ABC, CBS… you get the idea) that this is Buffalo’s first championship since the 1964 Bills won the American Football League title?

Of course they would get it wrong. The Bills' last AFL Championship was 1965. :sick:

I'm bugged about it too, but not as a slight to Buffalo, but as a slight to history all across the NFL. How many times do you read that the Browns franchise is in search of its first Super Bowl, instead of its "Fifth NFL championship"? When was the last time you heard the Packers have 11 titles -- which they do -- and not three (as in Super Bowls)?

It's like the NFL has sent its entire pre-1966 history on a Logan's Run.

Commentators only think in terms of Super Bowls.

They're incapable of deeper thought.

Good point though. They're such bird brains that are compelled to fill every available empty moment of air time with inane comment after inane comment. You'd think one of them would actually be a student of the League's history. But they don't read or study film. They watch Sports Center and read comic books to get their ideas. The overall viewing experience is dumbed down significantly. The columnists aren't much better these days either. They're fixated on hanky-panky soap opera crap.

One of the worst ever was Bob Trumpy hammering Jim Kelly on the sideline of the Super Bowl while Jimbo was trying to loosen up his throwing arm. Trump-the-Dump kept sticking a mike into Jim's puss and yelling at him he had an obligation to the fans to stop what he was doing and comment to him (Trump-the-Dump) on the latest horsecrap comments about the "Bickering Bills". What an ass. He should have been fired, or better yet, decked by Will Wolford.

But, I digress. Still despise Trump-the-Dump though.