Interesting Article From Charlotte NC

Interesting article. A friend of mine just moved from NYC to Charlotte. Said he was sick of the city. 6 months later he's looking for any possible way to get out. Says there's very little for a single guy in his 30s to do (ie no singles scene), and very little in the way of culture (outside of NASCAR).

I admit, I complain all the time about food and grocery stores here in New Hampshire (always baked, never fried). They bread their wings and then bake them. I'm not even sure what sauce they use, but it sure isn't Franks. I can't wait to visit Buffalo next month, go to Wegmans to stock up on some local essentials (i.e., Sahlens), hit up Mighty, Duffs, etc.

Up in NH however, I cannot complain about the smaller government, no income tax, no sales tax and a decent economy. My vote actually counts here also! Being surrounded by ski resorts helps as well.

Yeah, because there are no ski resorts around buffalo??? I guess I get a little sick & tired of these kind of articles. People act like Buffalo is the same as the backwoods of Alabama or something. All of my friends including myself that have stuck around Buffalo after college have pretty decent jobs, nice houses, great place to raise a family. I dont know, I just dont see it sometimes. Couple of my friends moved to Carolina(Greensboro & Charlotte). No offense to anybody that lives in North Carolina but I think the place sucks. There is nothing to do there. They consider a local corner bar a TGI Friday's. Just my opinion. My friends that lived down there bragged about this one lake that was like an hour outside of Greensboro(it was almost in Tenn I think). We got there & it was like a cest pool compared to the nicer parts of Lake Erie. Just my opinion, I get tired of reading these type of articles.

Give me East Tenn. Golfing all year round, but still get the seasons. Can drive 1/2 hour to Wolf Laurel or Beech Mountain to ski in NC. Blue Ridge Mountains on one side, Smokies on the other. Great lakes (TVA) for fishing and boating. No state income tax, great medical care, no traffic (be careful about NC, Boone and Blowing Rock have HORRIBLE traffic from all the halfbacks moving in). Bristol motor speedway down the road. Cost of living and housing reasonable. Can be in Myrtle Beach, Savannah or Charleston in six hours if I wanna go to the beach, and can be in Nashville or Atlanta in five if I go the other way. Knoxville 90 minutes away. All in all a great place.

Yeah, because there are no ski resorts around buffalo??? I guess I get a little sick & tired of these kind of articles. People act like Buffalo is the same as the backwoods of Alabama or something. All of my friends including myself that have stuck around Buffalo after college have pretty decent jobs, nice houses, great place to raise a family.

Wait what? My only complaints about Buffalo are the high taxes, inept politicians and lack of jobs. I'm well aware that there is plenty to do in WNY, however without a job, I can't afford to do stevestojan. If you know of some magical company that will offer me a Chemical Engineering Ph.D. position/salary, I'll be back in a flash.

If you want to talk about WNY skiing...it's really quite poor if you compare it to pretty much any place in NE. The elevation just isn't there. Would that bother me however if I could find work in the area? Not at all.

BTW, you want to know why wings suck everywhere else in the country? Because morons follow recipes like this

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Restaurant-St...ngs/Detail.aspx

322 Five Star reviews

if you don't want to click on the link, here's an ingredient in the recipe that should turn you off right away

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

Here's one gem of a review

This recipe is awesome! Tastes like Hooter's wings. :thumbdown:

Wait what? My only complaints about Buffalo are the high taxes, inept politicians and lack of jobs. I'm well aware that there is plenty to do in WNY, however without a job, I can't afford to do stevestojan. If you know of some magical company that will offer me a Chemical Engineering Ph.D. position/salary, I'll be back in a flash.

If you want to talk about WNY skiing...it's really quite poor if you compare it to pretty much any place in NE. The elevation just isn't there. Would that bother me however if I could find work in the area? Not at all.

BTW, you want to know why wings suck everywhere else in the country? Because morons follow recipes like this

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Restaurant-St...ngs/Detail.aspx

322 Five Star reviews

if you don't want to click on the link, here's an ingredient in the recipe that should turn you off right away

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

Here's one gem of a review

This recipe is awesome! Tastes like Hooter's wings. :thumbsup:

The taxes are high, no doubt about that, but with that being said, it kinda evens itself out inaway because the houses are affordable. I just bought a house last spring, real nice house, decent size(2,500 sq ft) nice inground pool, nice landscaping, spacious yard for a little under $200K in a nice developement in Lancaster. It is not a mansion or anything, but I would bet you would probably be pushing around $300K for a similar house in Atlanta, or Charlotte & would probably be pushing well over $500K in places like Boston & the Virginia/Mar/DC area. So I guess the high taxes even out a little bit due to the extremely affordable housing in WNY.

Your absolutely right, holiday valley & kissing bridge cant touch places like Killington & other such places in Vermont/NH. I was never trying to say they could. Just that we do have the option of sking if you so choose.

The taxes are high, no doubt about that, but with that being said, it kinda evens itself out inaway because the houses are affordable. I just bought a house last spring, real nice house, decent size(2,500 sq ft) nice inground pool, nice landscaping, spacious yard for a little under $200K in a nice developement in Lancaster. It is not a mansion or anything, but I would bet you would probably be pushing around $300K for a similar house in Atlanta, or Charlotte & would probably be pushing well over $500K in places like Boston & the Virginia/Mar/DC area. So I guess the high taxes even out a little bit due to the extremely affordable housing in WNY.

actually, in Boston, a 2,500 sq ft home would cost you well over a million...in NH, prices are high as well, but not ridiculous. I bought a house in August in Concord for $300k. It's in a really nice neighborhood and is a decent sized new home (~2100 sq ft, built in 2001) surrounded by a ridiculous amount of conservation land. For a similar home in Williamsville however, I'd expect to pay no more than $200k...maybe in East Amherst, the price wouldn't seem too farfetched. Take that same $300k to Boston and you might be able to buy a one bedroom apt. I suspect prices in Virginia and the DC area are similar to Boston's.