Geocaching:

Buffan00

Relativley new Tech/Outdoor game where you find hidden "treasures" by using GPS coordinates. Also, does anybody use a hand held GPS unit? Im in the market for one and cant decide wich is best. Any opinions would be appreciated!

I have been geocaching for over 3 years. My geocaching name is the same as the one I use here.

It gets you out to different places, instead of walking the same route over and over. I live in the SF Bay area and have seen a lot places and great views that I wouldn't have seen otherwise. It can be done by all ages and a lot of families do it together. If you travel for work or vacation, you can do it wherever you go. I found 50 caches while I was back in Bufffalo for Christmas.

On to the GPS recievers (GPSr).

The debate between Garmin and Magellan is like the Mac-PC debate. People swear by and at both. Just don't buy a Cobra- they are useless for geocaching. Also, don't buy a Tom Tom or other in car navigation system, they are bad for geocaching also. Get a GPSr that wll allow you to upload and download waypoints to/from your computer. All but the very cheapest aloow this. I use a >3 year old Garmin Venture and have found about 2850 caches. Get what you can afford. All will help you find caches.If you have a Mac, I can tell you of some programs to use to get the waypoints to your unit.

There is a $20 program that allow you to manage the cache listings (I have >3000 in my database and have found another 2850).There is an $8 program which allows you to put the cache listings on your Palm or Pocket PC, so you don't have to waste paper. There are many mapping programs which allow you to plan your route and you can even use Google Earth.

More questions? Go to www.geocaching.com and/or PM me.