The Bills 06 Draft Class

think of how much better it would have been if they drafted Ngata and Mangold instead of Whitner and McCargo

Definitely guaranteed if things would have gone differently they woi;d have been different.

However, it would have only made sense for the Bills to choose Ngata over Whitner and to trade up for Mangold instead of mcCargo if the Bills chose to go in a very different direction than they went, Otherwise choosing these two would have been potentially bad to have done (in Ngata's case) or almost certainly a bad move in the case of trading up to get Mangold.

Specifically:

1. N'gata had a very good year starting at RDE in the Ravens 3-4. This raises an interesting point as he likely would have played RDT for us in our 4-3. He is a good player and likely would have done well wherever he went. However, though a good penetrator it would have been interesting to see him play a role in the Jauron/Fewell Tampa 2 as he certainly is not the lower weight DTs traditionally used in this D. The Bears have employed some big DTs in their schemes, but one wonders how N'gata would have done as a DT in a 4-3, obviously the Ravens put him to different use so simply assuming that there would be a direct translation of his achievements with the Ravens to what he would have been like for the Bills is quite possible but not something easily assumed.

In fact, it is virtually guaranteed that N'gota would have performed quite differently and likely not as well if he was playing in front of Keith Ellison instead of Ray Lewis. In addition if one does choose N'gata then you are as a default looking at Coy Wire (aahhhggghhh) as your starting safety (maybe Ko Simpson, maybe with the draft need ar safety Bullock and then after all these tremors you likely forgo Mangold). Ae any rate your statement may be true about the players but has little do with the Bills even in woulda/coulda/shoulda world.

At any rate your point clearly says more about these N'gata and Mangold than about the Bills as if one even makes your first pick the entire draft gets altered.

2. The above point being made that if the Bills pick N'gata they probably go safety with their second pick instead of for a center, is that they only go for a center if you change the reality well before the draft and decide not to buy FA Fowler and instead leave an opening aat center (which perhaps the Jets seeing our obvious need at center do something different with their two first round picks and steal Mangold anyway.

The tradeoff you put up simply seems impossible to make occur.

These guys were phenomenal.

I like their determination, their motor, their heart and skill.

Terrance Pennington, Keith Ellison, Donte Whitner, Ko Simpson, Kyle Williams, all were called on, all stepped up and gave it their all. The only 3 unheard from are Aaron Merz, Brad Butler, and Ashton Youboty, and Youboty will be there next year to prove his worth.

I tip my hat to these guys, and I think we owe them big.

Here's to the Bills of the Future.

3 words for Bills fans to know in the future that I have been saying since last offseason. TRUST MARV LEVY! Even though I was way too young to experience to glory years of the Bills, I understand how smart he is. He the type of guy that brings his head coaching experience toward being a great general manager. He know what guys have the best character (will to learn over talent) and knows that by getting these players, even if they aren't that great or well known, the coaches on this team can help these guys become all star players.

Pyrite, I can't thank you enough for clearing up the Ngata thing.

He is a GOOD player, but he is NOT right for this system.

KYLE WILLIAMS and LARRY TRIPPLETT are right for this scheme. They are quick, they are disruptive, they don't get the stats but they get their jobs done. Just because we didn't pick the massive run stopper doesn't mean that we made a mistake, we had a plan, and the experts made the right decisions for the scheme.

Pyrite, I can't thank you enough for clearing up the Ngata thing.

He is a GOOD player, but he is NOT right for this system.

KYLE WILLIAMS and LARRY TRIPPLETT are right for this scheme. They are quick, they are disruptive, they don't get the stats but they get their jobs done. Just because we didn't pick the massive run stopper doesn't mean that we made a mistake, we had a plan, and the experts made the right decisions for the scheme.

they dont get the stats, they dont get their jobs done either. they may be "right" for this scheme on paper, but we destroyed on the field. you can blame that on the sceme but then the scheme itself needs to be re-worked. and if theyre going to change the scheme, then its time to change the type of guys we have too.

and by "change the guys" i mean, add a couple big stuffers for 1st and 2nd downs. and go to the quick guys during long yardage situations.