Question for the NFL Draft experts here

Cornerville

I know we all talk about signing a TE as a FA...now I know there is not a guy like Vernon Davis available in this years draft...but is there a guy that Bills can snag in the 2nd round that can become a big time offensive threat at TE? Any sleepers?

Well, I'm no draft expert, but I can tell you what I think and what others think and how they differ.

The consensus top TE in the draft is Zach Miller from ASU if he declares. I think that's solid--he's a good blocker and a good but unexplosive receiving target. He's not Gonzo or Gates. There's a decent chance he'll be there at 44.

For most people, the next best TE is Greg Olsen from Miami, who has already declared. I think he's too inconsistent and had a poor junior season. What can I say, he drops balls. He'll be there at 44.

All other TE prospects should be there at 44. My favorite TE prospect in this draft for value is BYU's Jonny Harline ( http://www.byucougars.com/Profile.jsp?ID=2117 ). Because he actually lined up at WR the majority of the time in BYU's offense, I can see him going in the 4th round or so. But he has TE size, excellent hands, excellent intangibles, and he's not slow.

I really don't think that TE is a glaring need for us. I think that Royal had to line up and contribute a lot of blocking because the OLine was inconsistent for a majority of the season. After the bye and the shake up of the OLine, Royal had 14 of his 23 grabs for 129 yards and caught all 3 of his TDs after the bye. Those stats could have been considerably better if not for a few drops, including the one that everyone remembers in the endzone against TEN. The reason why his stats were better was because of the coaching staff's ability to utilize him as an option in the passing offense as opposed to keeping him in to help protect JP.

However, if we were going to go TE somewhere in the draft, I would like Scott Chandler out of Iowa. The guy is a beast at 6'7" and 256 lbs, which would make him a huge EZ target. Ferentz says that he was one of the smartes guys he's ever coached and he is purely devoted to the concept of "team".

Here is his game log from last year. Sporstline has him ranked as the 8th best TE prospect in the nation. Olsen, for those who care, is ranked at 19th.

IMO, Zach Miller is going to be a stud in the NFL in 2-3 years. Not Gates or Gonzalez as far as stretching the field but he can get down the middle, has terrific hands, is tough and blocks. I wouldn't mind him at 44 at all but he will likely be gone. He's a guy that could probably walk right in and play on the Bills and help the run game as well as the pass game in a two TE formation with Royal.