RJ/Flutie type switch in Chicago

Mikie2times

Anybody else see this happening? Greise led the comeback against Detroit. After the game Lovie said he just wanted to look at a few guys. Grossman said he had no idea he was coming out. Sounds a little fishy. I expect it to really start stinking if Greise plays well week 17. Grossman just doesn't seem like a good fit for that team, especially compared to Greise. They need an efficient manager, not a turnover prone gunslinger. Even though it goes against conventional thinking I feel the switch gives them the best chance at winning the NFC. As it stands one blow up game from Rex against a decent playoff team and they could be done.

Lovie probably wants to see if he has a real NFL quarterback on his roster.

Rex Grossman is a real nfl qb. The problem is Lovie Smith spent far too long alongside Mike Martz. He fell in love with grossmans arm in the playoffs last year ignoring their bread and butter Thomas Jones, and during grossmans downswing he got away once again from the run game and working the middle of the field specifficaly using Desmond Clark and Muhammed. Grossman had his best games this year when Desmond Clark was involved in the offense. However the basis of their offense simply became. "Hey Bernard Run fast down the field and rex will force it to you". Grossman is a highly talented but inexperienced quaterback with questionable coaching and average skill position talent.

Rex Grossman is a real nfl qb. The problem is Lovie Smith spent far too long alongside Mike Martz. He fell in love with grossmans arm in the playoffs last year ignoring their bread and butter Thomas Jones, and during grossmans downswing he got away once again from the run game and working the middle of the field specifficaly using Desmond Clark and Muhammed. Grossman had his best games this year when Desmond Clark was involved in the offense. However the basis of their offense simply became. "Hey Bernard Run fast down the field and rex will force it to you". Grossman is a highly talented but inexperienced quaterback with questionable coaching and average skill position talent.

A switch would probably mean the end for Grossman in Chicago. It’s unfortunate because as you point out he’s still raw, and he’s being mismanaged. You can’t argue with their record, but all it takes is one blow up and you’re done. Grease’s the ideal compliment to a great defense. Remember his Michigan days? He’s no Peyton Manning, but he’s more then a Trent Dilfer, and that’s probably enough with who they have. How can’t you make the switch to Greise if you have a better chance at the Super Bowl?

A switch would probably mean the end for Grossman in Chicago. It’s unfortunate because as you point out he’s still raw, and he’s being mismanaged. You can’t argue with their record, but all it takes is one blow up and you’re done. Grease’s the ideal compliment to a great defense. Remember his Michigan days? He’s no Peyton Manning, but he’s more then a Trent Dilfer, and that’s probably enough with who they have. How can’t you make the switch to Greise if you have a better chance at the Super Bowl?

Actually, Griese is less than a Trent Dilfer. Trent could manage, and also had some leadership skills. I followed Griese since Michigan, and he does not have leadership. His tools may be adequate, but sooner or later (usually sooner), teams find that they have a journeyman who is still living on his fathers achievments.

Actually, Griese is less than a Trent Dilfer. Trent could manage, and also had some leadership skills. I followed Griese since Michigan, and he does not have leadership. His tools may be adequate, but sooner or later (usually sooner), teams find that they have a journeyman who is still living on his fathers achievments.

Absoulte crap that statement is! "No leadership"??? <_< WTF..he lead Michigan to a National Championship in 97..and an pro-bowl in 2001 and he was 5-1 with Tampa before the ACL tear. He is a leader and that shouldnt be questioned. And an obvious upgrade over Grossman at this point in his career!

Greise

7.04 YPA

103 TD's

78 INT's

63.2%

National Championship with a great defense

Dilfer

6.55 YPA

106 TD's

117 INT's

55.7%

Super Bowl with a great defense

Why am I even responding to you. <_<

Difference would be that I believe Lovie won't hesitate to pull one or the other if they struggle.... RJ however remained in the Tennessee game as he put up one of the worst halves of football I ever saw. A saftey, 4-5 sacks, 2 fumbles and 30 yards passing and he was back out the second half..... <_<

The problem with this view is that you're looking at the downside of Rex Grossman and ignoring the downside of Griese.

If you're talking Superbowl, there's a very real chance that the Bears would play the Baltimore Ravens in that Superbowl. And trust me, Griese against the Ravens isn't going to work. They'll eat him alive. I watched him play enough good defenses to know he can't get it done. He plays good against bad defenses (like all players) but falls apart against a good/great defense.

In my view, Grossman is the hands down choice to go against teams with a huge pass rush like San Diego or Baltimore.

Plus the Broncos could be in the mix in the Bowl and Mike Shanahan knows Griese too well.

The next thing to consider is a one-and-done with homefield advantage. If Griese starts that game and you lose the fallout would be unbelievable.

Questions like why didn't you stay with the guy that brought you here? Or why did you leave a "Young Brett Farve" on the bench and lose with a backup QB.