Fire Fairychild, Mcnally now!

genomich

didn't the Giants' offensive line get exponentially better after he left? they were supposed to be terrible, hence his departure

now look at them...holes for tiki and time for eli

838458[/snapback]

They also brought in a lot of new talent right around the time he left. They realized they had to do something.

Look, if I saw players fail under McNally only to succeed elsewhere, I'd be first in line to vote for firing him. I don't know of a single case where that's happened. Maybe someone else does.

Take the Bills linemen of the mid to late '90s. One or two of them were released for poor performance, only to do substantially better with the NY Giants. Who was the Giants' line coach at the time? I could be wrong, but I think it was Jim McNally.

didn't the Giants' offensive line get exponentially better after he left? they were supposed to be terrible, hence his departure

now look at them...holes for tiki and time for eli

838458[/snapback]

Well, lets review.

McNallys years with Giants

1st year: Tiki only started 1 game.

2nd year: Tiki started 12 games, averaging 4.7 YPC

3rd year: Tiki started 9 games, averaging 5.2 YPC

4th year: Tiki started 15 games, averaging 4.6 YPC

5th year: Tiki started all 16, averaging 4.4 YPC

Thats 53 out of a possible 80 games ... yet he still averaged 4.7 YPC. Not really bad IMO.

More time for Eli to throw? In 2004, the Giants were tied for 2nd in sacks allowed with 52 sacks. in 2005, they were ranked 3rd in sacks allowed with 53 sacks. The last year McNally was there they had 44 sacks. 8-9 sacks fewer.

Maybe a change at QB will make them all of a sudden look better (Flutie for Johnson).

When you have a QB that needs all other 10 players to win their battles for him to succeed you are introuble. I agree the OL is inadequate, but the majority of NFL teams have inadequate lines. I'd keep Peters and that's about it quite honestly and you can fill in the gaps elsewhere. Gandy could probably be a decent guard. In today's NFL if you get 2 really good OL you've got to be happy and fill in the rest with mediocrity.