More Apologies for JP

AnthonyF

I recognize that the line has issues but JP has been the majority of the problem. I'm just citing examples of how QBs were not good b/c their line was awful. Then the line stays the same, the QB changes and in one week all of a sudden the line "gets it!" Come on! Listen, I really want JP to be the guy. I think he works really hard, studies hard but his performance the last month has been abysmal. There is just a very big disconnect when he goes out there. Sometimes I think that he is afraid to make a mistake so he holds onto the ball until someone is completely wide open.

I agree the offense as a whole has been to blame, but a great QB would take this offense and make it very, very good. Look at the Pats receiving corps--they are in the bottom 10 in the league, but b/c they have a QB who throws timely and accurately they become better. Troy Brown as your best or 2nd WR?

Hey,we know JP is really bad as a pocket passer. Play to his strengths. Roll-outs, QB draws, quick slants, etc.... That way you slow down the pass rush as well just by what you are doing.

The vantage point from my seats at the stadium prevented me from getting a good look at the deep ball to Evans everyone is talking about. 

Those of you who saw more clearly or watched on TV - was that (horribly) underthrown ball dropped, tipped, what?

828533[/snapback]

Tipped and dropped but Evans didn't exactly battle for the ball either, as a matter of fact if Evans had tried to come back to the ball rather than try to shield the defender he would have gotten a PI call at least.

Why is it we can all see the issues and coaching can't? You all have made great observations and I know it takes execution but we are too vanilla.

Know first of all I like our coaching staff but I don't think they are making the adjustments necessary to take advantage of what talent we have. We must stop being predictable. They made a change at QB in Dallas because he has scrambeling capability to overcome line issues but also to confuse the defense. In our case, even though we have a QB who can run, it's I'll meet you at the QB about 3 yds straight back of center. Romo rolls out, has run plays designed for him and the coaches plan to whatever strenths the team has.

We will never know what JP can do sitting back in the pocket getting creamed. Yes we want him to manage a game but too much inaction on the part of Fairchild is costing us and possibly JP because JP cannot have confidense with the boos, the defense winning the games and the constant collapses in the backfield.

As stated we/you all get it. Put some variety in our offensive plan. We just put our strength to the left side of the line. They run now mostly to that side, so why do they run 3rd and 1 to the right? We need to do rolling pocket to the left to give the recievers time to get open. We need quick slants like every opposong team does on us, things that don't reqire thinking because none of us can think when we are getting hit as soon as we get the ball. Be creative in running in the red zone or when it is 3rd and 1 or 2. Put 2 TE to left of Peters or a lineman in the backfield for more blocking for the running back. We need to be successful on 3rd or 4th and one. We need to move the pile, even when the opposition knows it's coming. Give JP a chance to succeed.

Tipped and dropped but Evans didn't exactly battle for the ball either, as a matter of fact if Evans had tried to come back to the ball rather than try to shield the defender he would have gotten a PI call at least.

828566[/snapback]

It was NOT tipped and in review was slightly under thrown. I taped the game and specifically reviewed that play on a 42" TV. There was coverage behind that was closing in and Evan would have been hit shortly after catching the ball. It was a touch pass, very few are thrown perfect. That was a pretty pass, but not perfect, but should have been caught.

It was NOT tipped and was not under thrown (maybe very slightly if you are going to bicker).  I taped the game and specifically reviewed that play on a 42" TV.  There was coverage behind that was closing in and Evan would have been hit shortly after catching the ball.

So Evans might have been hearing footsteps? Great. :w00t:

It isn't just the plays that he's sacked either.  The TD to Evans was a perfect example of how the protection is screwing up the offense.  Evans made a double move on Harris, JP held the ball until the exact second that Evans made his 2nd break.  This is exactly what he's supposed to do.  He threw the ball right on time to the right man who was open.  He couldn't step into the throw because he was about to get crushed by the d-line so he got it out there to a place where he was pretty sure it'd be completed.  It was underthrown but it was thrown, same thign happened on the eaqrlier throw to Evans that was dropped, if JP had the chance to step into the throw he would have had a chance to lay it out in front of Evans a little more and it would have been another very long TD.

Those of you who talk about checkdowns, there are fewer checkdowns AVAILABLE when you have to keep TEs and backs in to block.  If they're blocking they aren't running routes.  When the last time we had less than 7 guys blocking on a passing down?  Our backs can't get into routes because they're either chipping DE's or picking up blitzers and our TE's are generally helping our tackle.

I think we are underutilizing people like Parrish (and even Evans) with our lack of WR screens but when it's 3rd and 8 it's tough to convert that regualrly with screen passes.

Our offense has collectively contributed to it's own demise.  How many times this year have we had a 4,5,or 6 yard run on first down only to false start on 2nd down and end up in 2nd and 11, 10, or 9?  LOTS.  We have negated our own success frequently.  How many times have we gotten to 3rd and one and gotten stuffed in the backfield when we try to run for it?

Recognizing the shortcomings of the offensive UNIT doesn't make one an apologist.  I struggle to see where any QB would have success with the number of penalties and lack of protection that JP gets.  Look what happened to McNabb last year in a sinmilar situation.  His line was a sieve and they needed Westbrook and Smith to block, McNabb was awful.  Look at how much better he is this season with less receiving talent because they can block better.  Don't forget, Philly has more 3 step drops than anyone, it isn't a magic bullet.  If you can't block you can't block and the defense knows it.  They squat on all the short stuff and dare you to throw it deep.  Why do you think that Harris bit on the same double move twice in the same game? They schemed all week to jump anything less than 15 yards because they beleived they would get to the QB before they could throw it further.  They were right, except for those 2 plays, one was dropped, one was a 45 yard completion.

Expect more of the same next week.  Indy will gamble that Freeney and Brock can get to the QB before we can beat the coverage for long plays, why shouldn't they think that?  Their LBs are very fast and cover very well so 3 step drops aren't going to fix that.  We have to run the ball better, stop taking penalties, stop dropping passes and god forbid block better. 

The problem with this is it sets up a catch 22.  If we run well any defense will bring a safety down into the box and creep up their corners for run support.  It almost compounds our passing trouble if we don't block because it crowds the short throws even more and increases the number of blitzes the defense brings (even if they are "run blitzes" - in many respects a blitz is a blitz, a run blitz just tries to fill gaps, if that gap is vacant they get to the QB just like any other blitz).  Running doesn't necessarily set up the pass.  It sets up the intermediate to deep pass and if you can't block well enough to exploit that area you won't be able to throw at all.  This is where we are as an offense right now.  Again, it doesn't make me a JP apologist to be able to dissect a systemic problem rather than point the finger at one guy.

828216[/snapback]

Great post.

Thankyou.

I love when people talk about the Tennesee playoff game...  A miraculous game, where the Bills had 64 yards the first half, RJ threw for a staggering 10-22 & 131 yards fumbled twice and was sacked 6 times, three rushes 9 yards....

I think the fact that they had all of 64 first half yards and two fumbles and RJ still was out there the second half, pretty much summed up that something was afoul with Flutie sitting on the bench.

828157[/snapback]

Titans? Super Bowl quality defense that held the Might Rams in check for most of the game.

Packers? Worst pass defense in the NFL.

Face it. If the Bills had been playing that Titans defense on Sunday? Loseman would have had 0 completions for negative yards.

The only thing Loseman leads the league in? Excuses.

Titans? Super Bowl quality defense that held the Might Rams in check for most of the game.

Packers? Worst pass defense in the NFL.

Face it. If the Bills had been playing that Titans defense on Sunday? Loseman would have had 0 completions for negative yards.

The only thing Loseman leads the league in? Excuses.

828812[/snapback]

I havent heard JP making any excuses......unless your talking about him admitting that the OFFENSE is struggling to get on the same page, or he himself has messed up. He hasnt blamed ANYONE beyond himself.......if he has please post your sources. ;)

I recognize that the line has issues but JP has been the majority of the problem.   I'm just citing examples of how QBs were not good b/c their line was awful.  Then the line stays the same, the QB changes and in one week all of a sudden the line "gets it!"    Come on!     Listen, I really want JP to be the guy.  I think he works really hard, studies hard but his performance the last month has been abysmal.  There is just a very big disconnect when he goes out there.   Sometimes I think that he is afraid to make a mistake so he holds onto the ball until someone is completely wide open.   

I agree the offense as a whole has been to blame, but a great QB would take this offense and make it very, very good.    Look at the Pats receiving corps--they are in the bottom 10 in the league, but b/c they have a QB who throws timely and accurately they become better.    Troy Brown as your best or 2nd WR?  

Hey,we know JP is really bad as a pocket passer.   Play to his strengths.   Roll-outs, QB draws, quick slants, etc....    That way you slow down the pass rush as well just by what you are doing.

828474[/snapback]

raymondo---is your premise that brady is picking up the play of the pats offensive line? they are struggling, week in, week out, and he's picking them up, dusting them off and making it all happen? I agree with some of your thoughts on JP, but you go from he's struggling to Brady would be the answer. Brady's an exceptional quarterback--in fact, more than any team or fan really has a right to expect, given the play of the average nfl qb---but his great play is complemented by his line, not in spite of it.

And one other thing---I've watched enough Pats games to notice that his receiver's generally have a fair degree of seperation when the pass gets there. maybe they run their routes more crisply than the bills do, but I'd bet you the time the line and backs give Brady to set up and throw the ball significantly impacts the quality of his game. great qb+very good line+receivers get seperation = success in the nfl.

so, toss Losman under the bus if you will, and I can see why you would want to, but all I know for sure is that our line has been neglected for years and it continues to bite us. and of course, this 5 sack game and stunningly bad (at times) offensive performance comes not after one of his linemen was replaced due to injury, but after major realignment of the line in mid-season. Coincidence?

All I am saying is that JP has to pick his game up. The OL is part of the problem. But there have been plenty of times he has gotten ample time to throw and just hasn't delivered.

People used the exact same excuse for Rob Johnson--the OL was just so bad he couldn't perform. Is it a coincidence that every team he went to he was horrible? I guess all the OL's were the problem and not him. At some point you have to look at the QB.

Drew Bledsoe would only win a SB if he had a great OL! Well he is now on his 3rd team where he has been replaced. I suppose it is the OL and the WRs not getting open for him as well.

In regards to Brady, I'm just making the point that a QB has to be good and make quick decisions and get the ball out. The Pats do not have this mythical fantastic OL. Their receivers are probably the bottom 5-10 in the league and he makes them better. I just don't understand why people can't seem to point a finger at Losman. It's the WR's fault for not getting open or the OL's fault. It is about a quarter of the time, but the rest of the time he has to prove himself. I don't expect him to be Brady. TB is the best QB to play the game in the past 20 years. But I would like him to be a serviceable QB. Right now the standard is so low for him that we are happy when he doesn't fumble and that is a great game for him.

He looks exactly like RJ now---even worse and I thought that wasn't possible. Let's hope he starts to get it because I do not want to go through another 4 yrs of developing a QB.