These last 9 games should let us know

JStranger76

Worst case scenario I could see a Peters, Gandy, Fowler, Reyes, and Pennington line-up for next season. This will depend on if Pennington comes through and Villarial being dust. Now my ideal turnover would be Peters working out at LT, Steinbach brought in at LG, Fowler at center, Reyes at RG and Pennington at RT. I think we'll go heavy on D in the draft again but hope our 2nd rounder is a RG or RT to take over for Reyes or Pennington. Another possibility would be Lenard Davis to play G or RT, not LT where he hasn't been very good. I really don't think any other free agent Olinemen are much better than what we already have. Anyways, all that stuff is still a ways away and these next 9 games will give us a good idea where we can get this unit to become a strength for once. Just babbling, give me your worst. :w00t:

Best case scenario....

Peters excels, Gandy solidifies & becomes a good player at guard, Fowler improves to become at least above average & Pennington shows himself to be at least competent.

Worst case scenario....

Peters doesn't cut it at LT & moves back to RT, Gandy does not improve, Fowler remains at best OK, Pennington plays like a 7th rounder, Villarial gets even older & Preston/Butler/Reyes/Merz all show mediocrity.

Wow, with so many possibilities....the world is our oyster.....I just hope we aren't allergic to seafood.

The only ones I don't like are Gandy and Reyes. They are ideal backups, perfect to come off the bench.

Obviously we don't know much about Pennington but I think one thing we do know is that Fowler and Peters are a lock for next season. The best way to patch up this offensive line in my opinion is to find replacements for Reyes and Gandy.

Of course I'm no expert on offensive lineman.

were going to need a new RG C LG LT

Peters is going to be a rock in the LT spot for a long time....

824710[/snapback]

If Peters will be a rock at the LT spot for a long time, why do we need a new LT this offseason??

As long as Peters works out at LT and Pennigton shows he can play RT at the NFL level, the line next season will be good. Not dominant or HOF worthy, but good enough not to cost us games, and will be good enough for a QB to show us what he has. Fowler is a decent C, Reyes is better then a rookie right now, and could become a good backup for later next season if a new rookie is drafted and gets moved in. If Gandy proves he can be good in the right position playing guard, re-sign him and we wouls still have some young backups for next year

Now they probably won't be as dominant as guys like Bill in NYC would want, but it is a start and would be an improvement.

If Peters will be a rock at the LT spot for a long time, why do we need a new LT this offseason??

As long as Peters works out at LT and Pennigton shows he can play RT at the NFL level, the line next season will be good. Not dominant or HOF worthy, but good enough not to cost us games, and will be good enough for a QB to show us what he has. Fowler is a decent C, Reyes is better then a rookie right now, and could become a good backup for later next season if a new rookie is drafted and gets moved in. If Gandy proves he can be good in the right position playing guard, re-sign him and we wouls still have some young backups for next year

Now they probably won't be as dominant as guys like Bill in NYC would want, but it is a start and would be an improvement.

824766[/snapback]

Peters is the big piece of this puzzle right now because he has terrific upside and could be a long term anchor we have needed, but it is still not certain. Pennington is a big young question mark who I am rooting for, but is way too soon to get a grasp on or have huge expectations. Fowler is decent, but I think Gandy and Villareal are on the hot seat, and I would love to see the possibilities to upgrade these positions with free agents and the draft. If the two young tackles work out, our team is really much better off for the next couple years than people think.

I must admit, Peters has to prove he can man the LT position before others and myself can just say "LT fixture Jason Peters", but I think he can do it. Also, let's see what Gandy can do at LG for a while before we jump to conclusions, he may do well. Like I said, these last 9 games will show us a lot, especially the left side's future. If that works out, fixing the overall team will be that much easier. Like I said, I'm happy about these moves, and let's let it play out a little before we assume anyone being able to play or not play a certain position. Go Bills!!!

Worst case scenario I could see a Peters, Gandy, Fowler, Reyes, and Pennington line-up for next season. This will depend on if Pennington comes through and Villarial being dust. Now my ideal turnover would be Peters working out at LT, Steinbach brought in at LG, Fowler at center, Reyes at RG and Pennington at RT. I think we'll go heavy on D in the draft again but hope our 2nd rounder is a RG or RT to take over for Reyes or Pennington. Another possibility would be Lenard Davis to play G or RT, not LT where he hasn't been very good. I really don't think any other free agent Olinemen are much better than what we already have. Anyways, all that stuff is still a ways away and these next 9 games will give us a good idea where we can get this unit to become a strength for once. Just babbling, give me your worst. :unsure:

824693[/snapback]

If they haven't shown you what they are, they never will friend.