Moment of truth

generaLee83

This game versus Green Bay is going to make or break this season. Not in the playoff sense (playoffs are all but out of sight) but in the sense of consistency and overcoming adversity. They will also retain some of the fence riding fans. Here is what I think:

1. Green Bay is riding momentum into this game, JP and the Bills need to stifle it and win big. (30+ points by the 'O' and less than 15 given up by the 'D'). Stifling another teams momentum shows alot of hard work and "character" as Marv loves to put it.

2. JP needs to have a career game, if he plays horribly all of the talk about his "progression" will stop and I'm quite sure the coaching staff will give strong consideration to evaluating Nall at this point. O-line failing or not it will become inevitable to consider other options. I am a JP supporter and hope for him playing well.

3. The defense needs to show up, particularly the veterans who have played either horribly or very quietly the last 3 games. McGee is slowly guaranteeing his movement to nickel back or worse yet getting cut off season. Clements who has played decently this year needs to make some big stops or grab an INT. Fletcher needs to stop getting dragged by ball carriers, Spikes needs to make his presence felt and Schobel needs to have a big game to show that it can happen 2 games in a row.

4. Finally, this team needs to finish a victory. None of this play well early and finish lousy crap. (Minnesota and Miami) 4 solid quarters of football and preferably a victory that doesn't come down to the last play.

I'm a fan for life but in reality Pack 24 Bills 7, oh please let me be completely wrong.

This game versus Green Bay is going to make or break this season....but in the sense of consistency and overcoming adversity.....

824411[/snapback]

That's a bit melodramatic I think. The OL is rehashed with 3 new players at positions (1 a rookie). I can easily see the line having trouble while the players learn & acclimatize. That could cause JP to have problems etc, etc, etc.

As you said, the playoffs is irrelevant at this point so....in 3 more weeks, we might start getting it together & by end of season we might look like an up-&-coming team. A 38-0 loss this week wouldn't mean anything if that were to occur.

I'm not saying I expect that....nor am I saying that I want us to lose etc....what I am saying is that this game(assuming playoffs are out of the picture) has probably only positive outcomes. If we win & or look improving(particularly the OL)....well, we'll be on the way. If we lose and look rubbish....like I said, that will be meaningless if we turn it around in 2 weeks, 3 weeks, etc.

Why make the sky fall before it actually does?

This game versus Green Bay is going to make or break this season.  Not in the playoff sense (playoffs are all but out of sight) but in the sense of consistency and overcoming adversity.  They will also retain some of the fence riding fans.  Here is what I think:

1.  Green Bay is riding momentum into this game, JP and the Bills need to stifle it and win big.  (30+ points by the 'O' and less than 15 given up by the 'D').  Stifling another teams momentum shows alot of hard work and "character" as Marv loves to put it.

2.  JP needs to have a career game, if he plays horribly all of the talk about his "progression" will stop and I'm quite sure the coaching staff will give strong consideration to evaluating Nall at this point.  O-line failing or not it will become inevitable to consider other options.  I am a JP supporter and hope for him playing well.

3.  The defense needs to show up, particularly the veterans who have played either horribly or very quietly the last 3 games.  McGee is slowly guaranteeing his movement to nickel back or worse yet getting cut off season.  Clements who has played decently this year needs to make some big stops or grab an INT.  Fletcher needs to stop getting dragged by ball carriers, Spikes needs to make his presence felt and Schobel needs to have a big game to show that it can happen 2 games in a row.

4.  Finally, this team needs to finish a victory.  None of this play well early and finish lousy crap.  (Minnesota and Miami) 4 solid quarters of football and preferably a victory that doesn't come down to the last play.

I'm a fan for life but in reality Pack 24 Bills 7, oh please let me be completely wrong.

824411[/snapback]

Personally, I don't see where Clements has been anything more than average at best this season.. Teams are lining up their best WR's across from McGee because he has struggled mightily this season. If Nate wants to be considered a top paid (read: best) CB.. then he needs to completely shutdown the other teams #2.. but, since he only lines-up on the left side of the defense, that's what teams have been doing.. and don't even get me started on his unwillingness to stick his nose into a ball carrier on defense. I know his primary goal is pass coverage, but unless your willing to stick it to the RB, you're begging them to run right at him.

I actually look forward to the revamping of this defense.. Good-bye Nate, good-bye Takeo, good-bye London..

Agree with Dibs. This game's only a watershed moment if the Bills blow out GB. If GB blows out the Bills, we can still have another watershed moment down the line.

Plus, any loss has the silver lining of getting us closer to the top of the draft. After seeing Sam Baker struggle against Oregon St (could be outlier game, though), I'm not convinced he's a good alternative to Joe Thomas yet.

This game's only a watershed moment if the Bills blow out GB.  If GB blows out the Bills, we can still have another watershed moment down the line.

824439[/snapback]

Priceless! :w00t:

Plus, any loss has the silver lining of getting us closer to the top of the draft.  After seeing Sam Baker struggle against Oregon St (could be outlier game, though), I'm not convinced he's a good alternative to Joe Thomas yet.

824439[/snapback]

Penn State v. Wisconsin at 12:00 PM EST on ABC - watch Posluszny and Levi Brown

Buff 37

G.B. 0

GO BILLS!!!

That's a bit melodramatic I think.  The OL is rehashed with 3 new players at positions (1 a rookie).  I can easily see the line having trouble while the players learn & acclimatize.  That could cause JP to have problems etc, etc, etc. 

As you said, the playoffs is irrelevant at this point so....in 3 more weeks, we might start getting it together & by end of season we might look like an up-&-coming team.  A 38-0 loss this week wouldn't mean anything if that were to occur. 

I'm not saying I expect that....nor am I saying that I want us to lose etc....what I am saying is that this game(assuming playoffs are out of the picture) has probably only positive outcomes.  If we win & or look improving(particularly the OL)....well, we'll be on the way.  If we lose and look rubbish....like I said, that will be meaningless if we turn it around in 2 weeks, 3 weeks, etc.

Why make the sky fall before it actually does?

824437[/snapback]

Your point is well taken. I'm just sick of this team looking like garbage lately.

It's not going to make or break anything.  The Bills always beat crappy NFC teams at home and that hasn't stopped the Bills from sucking for a long time.

824775[/snapback]

Agreed. I think Minnesota is better than Green Bay, and they went away with a loss.

Buffalo doesn't need melodrama now. We need to work on developing young football players and learning the new system the coaches have in place, and executing better football.

Winning games is a very valuable experience, so I don't buy draft position being greater than winning. This team most needs to have a positive game and pick up a win in a winnable home game while playing good football.

....Winning games is a very valuable experience, so I don't buy draft position being greater than winning.  This team most needs to have a positive game and pick up a win in a winnable home game while playing good football.

824796[/snapback]

I agree....the draft is such a crap shoot I'd rather a team that is a more cohesive unit through winning games rather than a pick a few places higher in the draft.