Fair Opportunity For Minority Coaches?

R. Rich

This article from the Boston Globe (requires free registration) raises the question of whether minority coaches have a fair shot @ head coaching opportunities in the NCAA. I think there's still a ways to go, but they are making progress. The fact that Mississippi State head coach Sylvester Croom was strongly considered for the job @ Alabama not so long ago is a good sign. Even though he played under legendary Tide coach Bear Bryant, I'm sure many (even Bryant himself, if he were still w/ us) have "issues" w/ a black man running the football program there. Obviously, this won't change overnight, but I think steps are being taken in the right direction.

Maybe one day I'll get a shot @ being a head college coach. Of course, by then, I'll be too old, broken down, and senile to actually do the job.

This article from the Boston Globe (requires free registration) raises the question of whether minority coaches have a fair shot @ head coaching opportunities in the NCAA.  I think there's still a ways to go, but they are making progress.  The fact that Mississippi State head coach Sylvester Croom was strongly considered for the job @ Alabama not so long ago is a good sign.  Even though he played under legendary Tide coach Bear Bryant, I'm sure many (even Bryant himself, if he were still w/ us) have "issues" w/ a black man running the football program there.  Obviously, this won't change overnight, but I think steps are being taken in the right direction.

Maybe one day I'll get a shot @ being a head college coach.  Of course, by then, I'll be too old, broken down, and senile to actually do the job.

794986[/snapback]

Well after how Willingham ended, I think ND will be afraid to touch another minority coach for awhile....so sadly your ultimate dream job in South Bend may be far away.

Honestly, I do feel that the backlash ND received when we fired Ty and then again when we gave Weis his extension really set back some of the progress that was being made in this area. I made a post here about this when Jason Shitlock wrote his article about the Weis extension. ND sets the tone for a lot of the college football world and hiring a black coach was a great step forward. Unfortunately, ND will never be remembered as the big-time program that hired a black coach, but as the big-time program that unjustly fired him. It's a real shame because I think many other big programs look at that situation and fear the potential backlash they will receive if they have to fire a black coach. The way Jason Whitlock and dozens of other talking heads and media outlets ran with their attack on ND has sadly sabotaged the very mission they (and many others) hope to accomplish.

here is my post on the Whitlock article:

Link

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.