Gotta Give Props To "That School"

R. Rich

I posted this over on BillsZone on Saturday:

Good game......for "that school".

Penn State screwed up so many times early on, but they hung in there for the most part. The things that really killed them were:

1. The bobbled snap on the FG early on.

2. Hunt's fumble.

3. The dropped INT in the end zone, which would've killed a scoring drive by "that school".

4. THE NON FUMBLE RECOVERY AFTER THE BIG HIT TO JAR THE BALL LOOSE ON THE PUNT. Instead of running w/ a ball you don't have yet, how 'bout you just fall on the damn thing like the "that school" player who shot in front of you did???? That was a killer, as was...

5. That TD drive @ the end of the first half. After all their efforts offensively (averaging over 5 yards a play @ this point), they had nothing to show for it due to the above screwups.

6. Morelli's botched pitchout. This play practically sealed Penn State's fate.

Now, that said, you have to give "that school" props. Their D pitched a 1st half shutout and kept us spinning our wheels in the 2nd half. Quinn actually looked like a Hypeman candidate this week, and they just flat out beat Penn State in all phases of the game.

Not much to smile about after watching this one, except for the play of Morelli. Yeah, he threw a pick and the fumble, but I do like the way he handled the pressure of playing such a huge game on the road. This was one of the keys to how Penn State was going to do this year, and I'm encouraged by his development this early (2 starts into his career). The defense is fast, but that secondary was waaaaaaay overmatched today, as I knew they'd be. The best we can hope for is to get these guys the experience they need to become a great team. If these young guys develop well, next year's rematch (in Happy Valley, w/ me in attendance, God willing) could turn out just the opposite. "That school" got us this year after a lot of losses (due to graduation); we'll get them next year after a lot of losses. That's why I said it's too bad we couldn't have seen these teams go head up last year.

Bottom line: no excuses. Penn State got their a**es kicked today by a better team. Hopefully, next year's game will have a different result.

It was tough to see my squad get beat like this after waiting 14 years for this game, but I do take solace in the fact that we will get them @ home next year and our young guys will have more experience by then, so I expect a better game. After missing this one, I will be making EVERY effort possible to ensure that I'll be @ Happy Valley next year for the rematch!

It was tough to see my squad get beat like this after waiting 14 years for this game, but I do take solace in the fact that we will get them @ home next year and our young guys will have more experience by then, so I expect a better game.  After missing this one, I will be making EVERY effort possible to ensure that I'll be @ Happy Valley next year for the rematch!

769332[/snapback]

I posted something similar in my thread about the game. Next year's matchup could present similar situations but for the opposite teams. We are losing our entire offense practically. The only consolation is that we have some good young WR recruits and Jimmy Clausen. Plus Darius Walker will most likely be back.

I'll tell you right now that we will not be blown out....but I will chalk this one up right now as a probable loss. If Weis can go into Happy Valley next year and steal a win, his coaching acumen will go up several notches in my book.

But Rich, sorry you waited so long for what happened Saturday. I was only 9 for the "snow bowl" but I remember it very well. Growing up in PA, Penn St. was always my second team, and I looked forward to last weekend for a long time. I remember joking with a buddy of mine (PSU alum) a few years ago that when the rivalry finally began again, it would be between two fallen programs. Notre Dame is obviously back where they belong and although this weekend was ugly, Penn St. has a lot to be happy about.

Here's to the continuation of a great rivalry between two storied teams...

and I hope to make the trip to State College next year too... ;)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.