Congrats Buckeyes

Chilly

First off, congrats to the Ohio State fans on this board for their win. You guys have a good team this year.

All I can say is that this loss from my view of the field was disappointing. I can't help but pin this loss directly on Greg Davis and Mack Brown.

Unsurprisingly, we ran just fine on Ohio State. Where I thought Texas was going to win was by running the ball up and down Ohio State's defense. And Texas could have and should have.... but didn't. The playcalling was ridiculous in this game, and I don't understand why so many passing plays were called.

Taking an approach to have your first year QB win the game is absolutely stupid. Colt I think most likely had a worse performance because of this. There were so many times that he made bad decisions with the football that I lost count.

I do think our defense could have (and should have) played better, mainly due to the secondary's poor showing. However, holding Ohio State to 24 points was about what I expected from the D.

I miss Vince. While I knew I would miss him, I didn't think it'd be for the reason that I do. During his last year here, he was good enough to mask the poor decisions by this staff which had plauged Texas under Mack Brown. Unfortunately, that same crap continued.

It reminds me of a Mike Mularkey run football team - abandon the run (even though its working), and have the secondary play 10 yards off the wide receivers.

Congrats Ohio State. Your team is good enough to win the National Championship. I thought that we would be your toughest test this year, due to the runnign game and all, which we never used. The weakness is the run defense, so why we didn't continue running all over you guys still boggles my mind.

Thank you, my friend. I guess Sloopy held on last night, after all. :lol: 11,000,000 Ohioans are certainly happy this morning.

I was watching the first part of the game at a friend's house, who remarked on the Godzillatron: "That thing's practically bigger than the stadium!"

I too was surprised, because the Horns seemed to have success running the ball, but I believe the game plan changed after halftime...that TD at the end of the half seemed to take the wind out of the team and the crowd.

You don't put the game in the hands of a redshirt freshman QB who hasn't shown you anything. McCoy will get his opportunities, but he's not a leader...yet.

I was shocked that the Buckeyes held Texas to 7 points. I do believe that speaks volumes for the defense, as it has no way to go but up.

Right now, the Buckeyes are truly No.1, and no one will take over that spot until Ohio State loses. They are the best team in the country right now until proven otherwise. The other games people around here are concerned about are Iowa (who didn't really impress me in their OT win over a bad Syracuse team) and, of course, That Team Up North, who would love nothing better than to ruin a potential title season.

Last year -- Texas 25, Ohio State 22.

This year -- Ohio State 24, Texas 7.

Total points scored -- Ohio State 46, Texas 32.

da da da da, da da da da GO BUCKS!!!

Mike

It was an entertaining TV game. OSU's punter and kick-off man deserve mention - I think 3 ko's were touchbacks, and the punter kicked high and long.

I don't fault TX passing - IIRC, OSU had new starters in the defensive backfield, and all but one returning LB.

I thought the Longhorn defense put on good pressure. But Troy Smith had a heck of a game.

I haven't mentioned this before, but ever since I met my Buckeye-grad wife in 1992, I've been a Buckeye fan.

I agree that Texas screwed up by not continuing with their running game. If they'd stayed with it, this game would've been much closer.

Troy Smith is a very good QB, and I just love watching how fast Ted Ginn is. He's ridiculously fast. I predict Anthony Gonzales will have a Wayne Chrebet type of NFL career. That kid just knows how to get open. Did you see the move he made on his TD? The stutter step drew the defender to the middle of the field just has AG was heading towards the corner. Great play and great camera work, too.

Go Buckeyes!

Both are very good teams. Ohio St could very well play for the NC, and Texas should handle OU and will be the favorite to win the Big 12 title game for yet another BCS-berth. I thought before the game, and mentioned it in this forum, that OSU would win the game because Troy Smith would play like a senior who's beaten Michigan and won the Fiesta Bowl, while Colt McCoy would play like a freshman who has chalked up one win against North Texas. For that reason alone, I couldn't believe Ohio St were 3-point underdogs. The line in my head would've been OSU by 1...But I gladly took the points... :lol:

In the end, McCoy didn't play that bad. He seemed pretty poised overall, and stood in and took some shots to complete passes. He will be a good QB by the end of the year, and will probably be very good in years to come. But this game was too much to ask of a QB in his second game. The pick he threw was horrible (the skycam showed what he was looking at; I can't believe he threw that ball. If the LB didn't pick it, the safety and CB were going to fight each other for it.) But if Texas can punch that early drive in, instead of fumbling on the 2, who knows how the game turns out.

Both are very good teams.  Ohio St could very well play for the NC, and Texas should handle OU and will be the favorite to win the Big 12 title game for yet another BCS-berth.  I thought before the game, and mentioned it in this forum, that OSU would win the game because Troy Smith would play like a senior who's beaten Michigan and won the Fiesta Bowl, while Colt McCoy would play like a freshman who has chalked up one win against North Texas.  For that reason alone, I couldn't believe Ohio St were 3-point underdogs.  The line in my head would've been OSU by 1...But I gladly took the points... :lol:

In the end, McCoy didn't play that bad.  He seemed pretty poised overall, and stood in and took some shots to complete passes.  He will be a good QB by the end of the year, and will probably be very good in years to come.  But this game was too much to ask of a QB in his second game.  The pick he threw was horrible (the skycam showed what he was looking at; I can't believe he threw that ball.  If the LB didn't pick it, the safety and CB were going to fight each other for it.)  But if Texas can punch that early drive in, instead of fumbling on the 2, who knows how the game turns out.

766551[/snapback]

Colt played pretty bad I thought. He was constantly making poor decisions with the football and throwing into double/triple coverage.

The series after he threw that pick, he threw it into the same exact coverage on the same exact route. That made me sick.

There were plays where receivers were wide open and McCoy didn't see them. There were other plays where receivers were double/triple covered and he threw directly into them.

My roommate had an interesting point: he looked way too much like Chris Simms for our comfort.

I don't understand the freaking offense. They're still playing the same offense that Vince ran last year, and McCoy is NOT Vince. What the hell are they doing? 3rd and short, and they pass? 3rd and 15 and they run the option?

I seriously thought that Texas was the Bills for a bit.

Troy Smith didn't seem that impressive in the stands. However, Ginn most certaintly was.

This whole damn game falls right on Greg Davis' shoulders. Dear Davis: When one of your running backs has 11 carries for 93 yards, you don't abandon the run. You don't ask a redshirt freshman to win the game. You don't keep running the option with a pocket passer at QB.

The whole damn gameplan should have been to lineup in the I-formation, run the damn ball, and pass when necessary.

How 'bout those fires!!! ;)

Way to go !@#$'eye fans

769285[/snapback]

The ones that traveled to Austin were generally very nice and relaxed. It was funny how much Buckeye fans were like "wow, I don't think the horns could have treated us any better here in Texas!"

I think the ones that can afford to travel are the good fans, and the ones that can't set fires instead. :(

How 'bout those fires!!! ;)

Way to go !@#$'eye fans

769285[/snapback]

Can someone fill me in about these fires? Any car tippings and riot police? I love that sh--. By the way, aren't the fans of the #1 ranked school (and national championship favorite) supposed to act like winning is business as usual, and not go buck-wild when their team wins the second game of the season?

I'd like to think that type of stuff won't happen WHEN the Bills win a Super Bowl, but who am I kidding...I will probably set myself on fire on that glorious day.

Can someone fill me in about these fires?  Any car tippings and riot police?  I love that sh--.  By the way, aren't the fans of the #1 ranked school (and national championship favorite) supposed to act like winning is business as usual, and not go buck-wild when their team wins the second game of the season?

I'd like to think that type of stuff won't happen WHEN the Bills win a Super Bowl, but who am I kidding...I will probably set myself on fire on that glorious day.

769823[/snapback]

http://www.fanblogs.com/ohio_state/006582.php

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_4317842

http://chronicle.com/news/article/963/ohio...hem-in-columbus

And a Buckeye male cheerleader who didn't attend the game hit an OSU exec in the after-game festivities-

The driver of the car was identified as an Ohio State cheerleader who had not traveled to the game. He was being held in a county jail pending a hearing on Monday.

He must've had a few too many Zimas!

I couldn't understand the Longhorns going away from the option. They seemed unstoppable! I was very surprised that the Buckeyes won and especially by that margin and in Texas. The turnovers were crucial. The fumble at the two led to a fourteen point swing. I think the outcome is further illustration that Vince Young was indeed a man among boys. For Texas, they have an early loss that can serve for motivation to improve their game. Let Colt do what he can do but don't force him to do what he can't. Like they say, if you are going to lose do it early in the season. I get this sense that Texas may lose a few this year. I am not so sure the Buckeyes are # 1. They seemed to struggle with their rushing especially when they needed to move the ball. The Smith, Ginn and Gonzalez show was impressive but as we know all too well, when the Midwestern weather turns ugly in late October and early November you better be able to run the ball!

Nice win Bucks and good luck Longhorns!

Now can I have an O-H...?

I couldn't understand the Longhorns going away from the option.  They seemed unstoppable!  I was very surprised that the Buckeyes won and especially by that margin and in Texas.  The turnovers were crucial.  The fumble at the two led to a fourteen point swing.  I think the outcome is further illustration that Vince Young was indeed a man among boys.  For Texas, they have an early loss that can serve for motivation to improve their game.  Let Colt do what he can do but don't force him to do what he can't.  Like they say, if you are going to lose do it early in the season.  I get this sense that Texas may lose a few this year.  I am not so sure the Buckeyes are # 1.  They seemed to struggle with their rushing especially when they needed to move the ball.  The Smith, Ginn and Gonzalez show was impressive but as we know all too well, when the Midwestern weather turns ugly in late October and early November you better be able to run the ball!

Nice win Bucks and good luck Longhorns!

Now can I have an O-H...?

773593[/snapback]

I agree with your sentiments, except that we might lose a few this year. :doh:

Our schedule is just easy outside of Ohio State.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.