Hey Bluefire...

buckeyemike

Can't wait to see the Godzillatron in action Saturday night. :w00t:

There has been a lot of feeling up here in Ohio that if Troy Smith had started the game against Texas last year, the Buckeyes would have won. I wasn't a huge Smith fan at the time, but he really won me over.

As for this game, I think you guys will miss Vince Young. A lot. Just remember that when you are at the top, everyone comes gunning for you. That happened with Ohio State in 2003, and in 2004 some in Columbus quietly called for Tressel to be fired. You don't see that now, and you may never see it again.

I see an Ohio State victory, but it will be a close game. Call it 23-20 Buckeyes.

Ironically, I did not see most of the game last year. I was on my way to Buffalo/Niagara Falls, and only saw the last six minutes of that game.

Mike

Can't wait to see the Godzillatron in action Saturday night.  :(

There has been a lot of feeling up here in Ohio that if Troy Smith had started the game against Texas last year, the Buckeyes would have won.  I wasn't a huge Smith fan at the time, but he really won me over.

As for this game, I think you guys will miss Vince Young.  A lot.  Just remember that when you are at the top, everyone comes gunning for you.  That happened with Ohio State in 2003, and in 2004 some in Columbus quietly called for Tressel to be fired.  You don't see that now, and you may never see it again.

I see an Ohio State victory, but it will be a close game.  Call it 23-20 Buckeyes.

Ironically, I did not see most of the game last year.  I was on my way to Buffalo/Niagara Falls, and only saw the last six minutes of that game.

Mike

761481[/snapback]

tOSU big: OSU 42

UT 21

Can't wait to see the Godzillatron in action Saturday night.  :angry:

There has been a lot of feeling up here in Ohio that if Troy Smith had started the game against Texas last year, the Buckeyes would have won.  I wasn't a huge Smith fan at the time, but he really won me over.

As for this game, I think you guys will miss Vince Young.  A lot.  Just remember that when you are at the top, everyone comes gunning for you.  That happened with Ohio State in 2003, and in 2004 some in Columbus quietly called for Tressel to be fired.  You don't see that now, and you may never see it again.

I see an Ohio State victory, but it will be a close game.  Call it 23-20 Buckeyes.

Ironically, I did not see most of the game last year.  I was on my way to Buffalo/Niagara Falls, and only saw the last six minutes of that game.

Mike

761481[/snapback]

I'm a bit disappointed in Godzillatron.

UT, in their infinite wisdom, decided that instead of having physical ads around the scoreboard, they'll use the scoreboard's outer edges for advertising space.

Not only that, but they are still showing replays in 4:3. HD isn't scheduled to begin for a month.

Hopefully UT will stop being stupid with it soon.

There's been a lot of feeling down here that if Troy Smith would have started the game, it wouldn't have mattered. To be honest, I don't know if anyone knows for sure, its just fans playing what if.

Here's what I do know: Our defense this year is fin sick. SICK. I thought our defense was good last year, but theres no way that last year's defense even comes close to this year's.

Last year's defense would give up a few decently sized drives to even bad opponents. This years D gave up one drive to UNT. One. They had 9 yards in the first half. We turned the ball over on special teams once, they got the ball at the 23 yard line, and didn't score. Our D blocked the FG.

UNT averaged .3 yards per play this year. Compared to the season opener versus LA-Lafayette last year, thats a marked improvement. I know UNT isn't very good, but their RB Cobbs isn't that shabby.

Needless to say, I was quite impressed. Overall they looked much more stout then last year's squad.

Our offense wasn't as good. I was happy with the production, but it didn't look as "Polished" as a Vince Young-led offense. I'm a bit concerned about McCoy, he had some throws that were low to the ground/a bit high or low near our receivers toward the beginning of the game. He consistently threw it a bit low toward the outside, and receivers would have to stretch to make a catch. That might work versus UNT, but no way does it work against Ohio State.

That being said, McCoy did make good decisions. I didn't see him throw to a receiver who wasn't open, and it looks like we are running the same 1-read offense as previous years, so that should take the pressure off of him. McCoy also showed that he can scramble when necessary and had the game's longest run.

Limas Sweed, #4 at WR, is going to be a monster this year. He's tall, fast, and is starting to make circus-like catches. He juked a defender or two out of their shoes, and seems even better then last year.

Our offensive line seems as good as advertised, but we'll see versus tOSU if they are or not. I don't think the lesser athletes of UNT challenged them much.

The running game is just as good as ever, and Jamaal Charles looks incredible carrying the ball. Watch this kid. He looked special in his freshman year, and he's improved since then.

I think our defense versus tOSU's offense is a wash to be honest. You can't stop tOSU's offense every single time they touch the ball, and I'm not expecting that. But I do think our defense is very good and will hold your offense in check a lot of the game.

Where I think it really comes down to it is our running game versus your defense. I think our running game is overall better then NIU's. I know that they have a very good kid in Wolfe back there. However, I think we have a much better offensive line (best in the country imo) that will open huge holes for our backs, which all split playing time (one big reason why you never hear of a single back for Texas - lots of talent back there, and they all rotate).

Given NIU's success at running the football, I have to think our offense is licking their chops. I think we will have enough success running the football that it'll take the pressure off of McCoy and allow him to be comfortable in the first huge start of his career. It'll also let us win the game the old fashioned Texas way: running the ball and controlling the clock.

All in all, I believe wholeheartedly that these are the best two teams in college football going head to head against each other this week. It's going to be a blast to be at the game here in Austin, #1 vs #2!!

My prediction:

tOSU - 24

Texas - 30

BlueFire, I admire the optimism, but don't call the Texas defense sick (SICK!!!) after they dominated North Texas. North Texas was 2-9 overall last year while finishing last in the vaunted Sun Belt conference. Even Colorado would've rolled them up.

In the meantime, OSU pounded the favorite to win the MAC this year. I think they showed a little more than Texas did.

Much like last year, I think this game will come down to QB play, and I have to give it to Ohio St. Troy Smith will shine, while McCoy will struggle against his first college defense, not the high school squad that UNT sends out there.

Ohio St 27

Texas 13

BlueFire, I admire the optimism, but don't call the Texas defense sick (SICK!!!) after they dominated North Texas.  North Texas was 2-9 overall last year while finishing last in the vaunted Sun Belt conference.  Even Colorado would've rolled them up.

In the meantime, OSU pounded the favorite to win the MAC this year.  I think they showed a little more than Texas did.

Much like last year, I think this game will come down to QB play, and I have to give it to Ohio St.  Troy Smith will shine, while McCoy will struggle against his first college defense, not the high school squad that UNT sends out there.

Ohio St 27

Texas 13

762305[/snapback]

I was hoping in my post that I was going to do a good job explaining my position on our defense, and then use the only game that I have to show that in order to do so.

It's all just my feeling on this defense - the vibe that I get from watching them.

I wish I did have more games to back me up or prove me wrong, but I don't unfortunately, I've only got what I've seen in pre-season and the first game (which is what I refered to as its probably the only matchup people here have seen of this D).

My whole point of using the UNT game was to compare it to last year's opener (which had arguably a worse offense then the UNT game this year) to show that the team had actually improved, not to claim that they are great based upon just one game. Thats my feeling.

Its kind of like last year with Vince, there's just this feeling about them that they are going to control the game and change the outcome of it.

Apparently, though, I didn't do enough to make that distinction.

At this point what anyone says is mostly conjecture and feeling, not based upon any real game play at all, besides week 1 versus sh-- teams.

I was hoping in my post that I was going to do a good job explaining my position on our defense, and then use the only game that I have to show that in order to do so.

It's all just my feeling on this defense - the vibe that I get from watching them.

I wish I did have more games to back me up or prove me wrong, but I don't unfortunately, I've only got what I've seen in pre-season and the first game (which is what I refered to as its probably the only matchup people here have seen of this D).

My whole point of using the UNT game was to compare it to last year's opener (which had arguably a worse offense then the UNT game this year) to show that the team had actually improved, not to claim that they are great based upon just one game.  Thats my feeling.

Its kind of like last year with Vince, there's just this feeling about them that they are going to control the game and change the outcome of it.

Apparently, though, I didn't do enough to make that distinction.

At this point what anyone says is mostly conjecture and feeling, not based upon any real game play at all, besides week 1 versus sh-- teams.

762311[/snapback]

Yeah, I actually had that in my post originally, I must've erased it...I know there's only one week of action to base opinions on. You can't blame them for shutting down UNT, the players don't control who lines up across from them. I think we do that too much where we 'qualify' victories, saying things like, "But they only beat so-and-so, and so-and-so lost to team x, so they suck..."

I'm not taking anything away from their victory or the dominating fashion in which they achieved it. I'm just saying we can't declare Texas' defense better than the one that won them a trophy last year after shutting down North Texas. If they shut down Heismann candidates Troy Smith and Ted Ginn, then the SICK!!! posts can (and should) come flying.

Yeah, I actually had that in my post originally, I must've erased it...I know there's only one week of action to base opinions on.  You can't blame them for shutting down UNT, the players don't control who lines up across from them.  I think we do that too much where we 'qualify' victories, saying things like, "But they only beat so-and-so, and so-and-so lost to team x, so they suck..." 

I'm not taking anything away from their victory or the dominating fashion in which they achieved it.  I'm just saying we can't declare Texas' defense better than the one that won them a trophy last year after shutting down North Texas.  If they shut down Heismann candidates Troy Smith and Ted Ginn, then the SICK!!! posts can (and should) come flying.

762332[/snapback]

Yeah.

From what I've seen though, this defense IS going to be sick. :angry:

I'll believe it till its proven false, based upon what I saw last year and what I've seen this year in pre-season and in the first game. I wouldn't feel comfortable saying that about any other team if I haven't followed it as closely as I have UT.

And I wouldn't expect you, or any other person in the country for that matter, to believe it. I'm just giving a preview of the game based upon what I've seen out of this years Texas team, as that's the one thats going to be playing Ohio State. Could be proven right or wrong, for sure, but at this point their progress (compared to the same point) is ahead of previous years, both in the stats from the first game and from what I've seen qualitatively.

I'm a bit disappointed in Godzillatron.

UT, in their infinite wisdom, decided that instead of having physical ads around the scoreboard, they'll use the scoreboard's outer edges for advertising space.

Not only that, but they are still showing replays in 4:3.  HD isn't scheduled to begin for a month.

Hopefully UT will stop being stupid with it soon.

There's been a lot of feeling down here that if Troy Smith would have started the game, it wouldn't have mattered.  To be honest, I don't know if anyone knows for sure, its just fans playing what if.

Here's what I do know:  Our defense this year is fin sick.  SICK.  I thought our defense was good last year, but theres no way that last year's defense even comes close to this year's.

Last year's defense would give up a few decently sized drives to even bad opponents.  This years D gave up one drive to UNT.  One.  They had 9 yards in the first half.  We turned the ball over on special teams once, they got the ball at the 23 yard line, and didn't score.  Our D blocked the FG.

UNT averaged .3 yards per play this year.  Compared to the season opener versus LA-Lafayette last year, thats a marked improvement.  I know UNT isn't very good, but their RB Cobbs isn't that shabby.

Needless to say, I was quite impressed.  Overall they looked much more stout then last year's squad.

Our offense wasn't as good.  I was happy with the production, but it didn't look as "Polished" as a Vince Young-led offense.  I'm a bit concerned about McCoy, he had some throws that were low to the ground/a bit high or low near our receivers toward the beginning of the game.  He consistently threw it a bit low toward the outside, and receivers would have to stretch to make a catch. That might work versus UNT, but no way does it work against Ohio State. 

That being said, McCoy did make good decisions.  I didn't see him throw to a receiver who wasn't open, and it looks like we are running the same 1-read offense as previous years, so that should take the pressure off of him.  McCoy also showed that he can scramble when necessary and had the game's longest run.

Limas Sweed, #4 at WR, is going to be a monster this year.  He's tall, fast, and is starting to make circus-like catches.  He juked a defender or two out of their shoes, and seems even better then last year.

Our offensive line seems as good as advertised, but we'll see versus tOSU if they are or not.  I don't think the lesser athletes of UNT challenged them much.

The running game is just as good as ever, and Jamaal Charles looks incredible carrying the ball.  Watch this kid.  He looked special in his freshman year, and he's improved since then.

I think our defense versus tOSU's offense is a wash to be honest.  You can't stop tOSU's offense every single time they touch the ball, and I'm not expecting that.  But I do think our defense is very good and will hold your offense in check a lot of the game.

Where I think it really comes down to it is our running game versus your defense.  I think our running game is overall better then NIU's.  I know that they have a very good kid in Wolfe back there.  However, I think we have a much better offensive line (best in the country imo) that will open huge holes for our backs, which all split playing time (one big reason why you never hear of a single back for Texas - lots of talent back there, and they all rotate).

Given NIU's success at running the football, I have to think our offense is licking their chops.  I think we will have enough success running the football that it'll take the pressure off of McCoy and allow him to be comfortable in the first huge start of his career.  It'll also let us win the game the old fashioned Texas way: running the ball and controlling the clock.

All in all, I believe wholeheartedly that these are the best two teams in college football going head to head against each other this week.  It's going to be a blast to be at the game here in Austin, #1 vs #2!!

My prediction:

tOSU - 24

Texas - 30

762281[/snapback]

Colt McCoy. Great name for a UT quarterback, by the way.

Yes, the polls just came out. #1 Ohio State versus #2 Defending Champion Texas. Whoever wins this game could have the inside track to Glendale come January 8.

I think OSU's offense is terrific. Troy Smith threw for three TD's and Ginn scored two. In your post regarding the Longhorns' D, it sounds like we may finally have an answer regarding the old question about the irresistible force and the immovable object.

But remember, Ohio State ain't North Texas. The Bucks won the Fiesta Bowl last year. Over a highly regarded Notre Dame team, to boot.

My concern for the Buckeyes is on defense. I thought they were on the verge of letting UNI back into the game last Saturday. However, they sucked it up and held on well down the stretch.

I love the idea of this game so early in the season. Remember, Ohio State came closer than anyone to beating you last year, except for USC. It ruined our title hopes. On our home field. The Buckeyes had never lost a night game at Ohio Stadium until last year.

Now it's our turn. On your home field.

As I said earlier, Buckeyes prevail, 23-20.

da da da da, da da da da GO BUCKS!!!

Mike

Colt McCoy.  Great name for a UT quarterback, by the way.

Yes, the polls just came out.  #1 Ohio State versus #2 Defending Champion Texas.  Whoever wins this game could have the inside track to Glendale come January 8.

I think OSU's offense is terrific.  Troy Smith threw for three TD's and Ginn scored two.  In your post regarding the Longhorns' D, it sounds like we may finally have an answer regarding the old question about the irresistible force and the immovable object.

But remember, Ohio State ain't North Texas.  The Bucks won the Fiesta Bowl last year.  Over a highly regarded Notre Dame team, to boot.

My concern for the Buckeyes is on defense.  I thought they were on the verge of letting UNI back into the game last Saturday.  However, they sucked it up and held on well down the stretch.

I love the idea of this game so early in the season.  Remember, Ohio State came closer than anyone to beating you last year, except for USC.  It ruined our title hopes.  On our home field.  The Buckeyes had never lost a night game at Ohio Stadium until last year.

Now it's our turn.  On your home field.

As I said earlier, Buckeyes prevail, 23-20.

da da da da, da da da da GO BUCKS!!!

Mike

762395[/snapback]

I like our chances of stopping the run with Ross Homan in place of Kerr.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.