Situational football

cale

I'm sure the popular cry is gonna be to bench the QB - but IMHO Bledsoe played really well under the circumstances.

Ty Law and a NFL Network special talked about something called "situational football coaching" in NE. This is where the coaches practice possible game changing scenarios. That's part of the reason Bardy looks calm and collected passing from his own goal line.

Our coaching staff hasn't done a good enough job of putting players in those situations and teaching how to respond. The problem right now is systemic. It's not one or two players making mental mistakes. It's almost everyone on the team. Even the vets.

It's compounded by the coaching unable to get it into the players heads and avoid 100 penalty yards a game.

It's bad when the HC can't get in the face of the DC and tell them to hold the other team at 3rd and a thousand. It's bad when the DC can't get in the face of a vet player and tell him to stop being a dumbass.

The penalty mistakes occur when the players have a "Oh stevestojan" moment. This in turn indicates that they are not prepared to play that particular situation.

I wasn't aware that we lost Jennings and Teague today. I still think the O-line could use more talent but right now they are just not being coached very well. I think based on the first two quarters of play they are a very serviceable unit. They just need to be put in positions to succeed.

The problem is fixable - but I have a sick feeling that the coaches don't know how to yet...

Charles

every team knows about situational football methods, and every team teaches them. the question is, are they working with *these* guys. I do not doubt our coaching staff. they know football better than any of us individually and all of us collectively. they're the best coaching staff we've had since levy's days.

whether you believe in it or not, the bills are clearly snakebit. tripping on a linemen's leg for a loss can happen at a point in a game when it doesn't impact the game much. But not on a crucial 3rd down play. Punt.

i've never seen a team driving hard with a no-huddle, only to see the momentum stopped by a FUGGIN REF INJURY? Only to the Bills can this happen.

I've never seen a running back trip on another dimension while staring at a perfectly crafted hole the size of Missouri, on a critical 3rd down. Punt.

rashad baker needs to get his ass lashed publicly. he's made two plays in his short career. both for the opposition. milloy needs to get fuggin healthy, cuz wire stinks.

our backup linemen need to KNOW WHAT THE FUGGIN PLAY IS when it's fourth and GAME. Tucker, you suck. What kind of center blows the most critical play of a game, AFTER A TIMEOUT? If you weren't sure, you had TIME TO ASK. Only to the Bills do these things happen. Also, josh reed needs to learn how to catch balls in real live games. drew needs not overthrow TEs and expose them to hits that should have been called for hitting a defenseless receiver. He needs to not underthrow easy curls and quick outs. He needs to SEE HIS FUGGIN HOT READ, for fugg's sake.

I've about had it.

jets, 30

bills, 10