What I expect on Offense

Fairchild is installing a vertical/power attack that tries to keep team from stacking the box by going downfield. The WR's seem to fit this system, but most importantly it plays to what JP does best, and that's throw the deep ball. Due to this I expect the offense to improve in a lot of ways. JP's will be effective going downfield, and an energized Willis MaGahee should benefit from the additional space. We should be very effective from the 20 to the 20, racking up yards in big chunks.

While exciting I also see some obvious problems that will hurt us this season. In situations when space gets limited our roster is far from ideal. JP has not been accurate in these situations, and he has really struggled with poise and intermediate throws. Throw in some undersized WR's, and Royal won't be enough to overcome low Red Zone and 3rd Down %. Sacks will also once again be a problem. Even if the line play improves a vertical passing game forces your lineman to block longer. Nine times out of ten that means more sacks, especially when you’re coming from a more conservative offense.

If you see sacks as a real problem, then JP won't have much of a deep passing game. I'm not so sure about this with the new line. However, I do expect a much improved running game which, in turn, will produce a decent passing game.

We needed Willis so badly last year but the line was not up to par; the same holds true for the upcoming season. We won't win many games unless McGahee has a huge year for us. Moreover, I think Evans and Price will have their catches but their success will depend on the hands of the other receivers and our TE's as well.

I'm pumped and see at least 8 wins this year.

If you see sacks as a real problem, then JP won't have much of a deep passing game.  I'm not so sure about this with the new line.  However, I do expect a much improved running game which, in turn, will produce a decent passing game. 

We needed Willis so badly last year but the line was not up to par; the same holds true for the upcoming season.  We won't win many games unless McGahee has a huge year for us.  Moreover, I think Evans and Price will have their catches but their success will depend on the hands of the other receivers and our TE's as well. 

739710[/snapback]

Pressure will kill a number of our plays, but I don't see it paralyzing us. Even a heavily sacked team is only sacked a fraction of its passing plays.

As for your other comments I'm going to refrain from calling, or expecting this offensive line to be improved. How many players like Reyes have we brought in over the years expecting results and getting nowhere? I expect us to improve more because Holcomb and our short passing game last season invited so many 8 man fronts. With some downfield success that won't happen, It will however continue to happen when things get cramped up, and that’s when this team will bog down.

Fairchild is installing a vertical/power attack that tries to keep team from stacking the box by going downfield. The WR's seem to fit this system, but most importantly it plays to what JP does best, and that's throw the deep ball. Due to this I expect the offense to improve in a lot of ways. JP's will be effective going downfield, and an energized Willis MaGahee should benefit from the additional space. We should be very effective from the 20 to the 20, racking up yards in big chunks. 

While exciting I also see some obvious problems that will hurt us this season. In situations when space gets limited our roster is far from ideal. JP has not been accurate in these situations, and he has really struggled with poise and intermediate throws. Throw in some undersized WR's, and Royal won't be enough to overcome low Red Zone and 3rd Down %.  Sacks will also once again be a problem. Even if the line play improves a vertical passing game forces your lineman to block longer. Nine times out of ten that means more sacks, especially when you’re coming from a more conservative offense.

739705[/snapback]

you don't need an eternity to throw down the field unless you're Drew Bledsoe.

With fast WRs, the QB can throw the ball on a 3 step drop and let teh WR run under the pass. Quick slants can also result in big plays.

Bills will be able to stretch the field just fine.

Also helps to have an OC with an understanding of an offensive system as opposed to the gimmick master.

While exciting I also see some obvious problems that will hurt us this season. In situations when space gets limited our roster is far from ideal. JP has not been accurate in these situations, and he has really struggled with poise and intermediate throws. Throw in some undersized WR's, and Royal won't be enough to overcome low Red Zone and 3rd Down %. 

739705[/snapback]

I think you make a good point about in the Red Zone. A good run game is important there but so is a good passing attack, and I don't have much confidence in JP getting job done there.

Who knows what the O-line will do? Too many new guys to tell just yet

If you see sacks as a real problem, then JP won't have much of a deep passing game.  I'm not so sure about this with the new line.  However, I do expect a much improved running game which, in turn, will produce a decent passing game. 

We needed Willis so badly last year but the line was not up to par; the same holds true for the upcoming season.  We won't win many games unless McGahee has a huge year for us.  Moreover, I think Evans and Price will have their catches but their success will depend on the hands of the other receivers and our TE's as well. 

739710[/snapback]

I think you hit it right on the head. The running game is key. Willis McGahee can cure all those red zone problems and I believe he will. DJ is the type of coach that relies heavily on the run. The problem with last years' Bills were we went away from the run the second we entered the red zone. This year will be different. I hope. :rolleyes: